E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > What is this thing on my power steering pump?!?

09-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Mahhari
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

What is this thing on my power steering pump?!?

*Thread moved from General to Technical*

Hey Guys!

My wife's 2007 335i starting making moaning/grinding sounds from the power steering pump last week. I went to investigate the noise and found a bunch of power steering fluid leaking from one of the connections on the power steering pump... but I'm not sure what it is connected to? The low pressure inlet and high pressure outlet are not leaking, but the connection to a piece that looks like a 12v DC motor seems to be oozing fluid.

What is that piece and what is it for?? It seems to be inline with the outlet, but I could be wrong. See attached pictures. Her steering pump is like the drawing (with active steering) and I attached the other picture (without active steering) just as reference.

Thanks for help guys!

ps. first post on BMW forum and first repair to my wife's car - if I don't get this right she won't let me touch her car again!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0