E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > '08 e92 n54

12-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
Aphilip21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08.335i.Coup. White w/Red int

'08 e92 n54

Wassup guys, I've got a '08 335 w/ about 62k miles that i've had no problems with other than the hpfp recall & fuel injectors (3 replaced). Few days ago get a warning message saying the engine overheated & to pull over & shut the car off. Did a little research & am guessing the fuel pump is shot. Also had a code on the car saying the fuel system is lean in cyclinder bank 2 which could be a boost leak.

Would appreciate any advice on how to handle this as well as any good shops you can recommend. Car is out of warranty & I'm looking to get this prob solved asap without cleaning out my bank account.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
BIMMER_Tech 631
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i TIAG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphilip21 View Post
Wassup guys, I've got a '08 335 w/ about 62k miles that i've had no problems with other than the hpfp recall & fuel injectors (3 replaced). Few days ago get a warning message saying the engine overheated & to pull over & shut the car off. Did a little research & am guessing the fuel pump is shot. Also had a code on the car saying the fuel system is lean in cyclinder bank 2 which could be a boost leak.

Would appreciate any advice on how to handle this as well as any good shops you can recommend. Car is out of warranty & I'm looking to get this prob solved asap without cleaning out my bank account.

Thanks!
Where are you located man, I'm in east northport long island, i have a bunch of diagnostic tools, (Bav Tech, Autologic, Launch) at my disposal, if you wanna come by i can read the codes and do some real time monitoring to see whats up.

In any case, i know BMW extended the warranty on the HPFP and Injectors to 10 Year/ 120,000 miles because of the amount of issues they were having. So imo you would still be covered, however they would tell you the normal dealer bs... "You have to agree to pay the 1 hour drag time and if it ends up being a warranty/recall item its covered, if not your responsible for the time"
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
drewrak
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just recently had something similar happen to my 07. The overheating/overheated issue for me was the water pump and thermostat. The car temp gauge was in the middle so it wasn't showing it was overheating, but it would put the car in a limp mode until i pulled over to let it cool down. Car is currently being fixed as we speak..

May be another alternative to a fuel pump.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:

Thanks!
I'm near stony brook university, if you need codes or error history looked at with INPA. PM me if you need free help.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #5
Aphilip21
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the replies guys, I accidentally put fuel pump but meant water pump. I'm in Tappan, NY (Rockland County) about an hr from Freeport & prob 2 hrs from Stony Brook. The car won't run for more than a few minutes so I'd have to tow it out to you guys, appreciate the offer.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
Aphilip21
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewrak View Post
Just recently had something similar happen to my 07. The overheating/overheated issue for me was the water pump and thermostat. The car temp gauge was in the middle so it wasn't showing it was overheating, but it would put the car in a limp mode until i pulled over to let it cool down. Car is currently being fixed as we speak..

May be another alternative to a fuel pump.
Would you mind telling me what you were quoted for all the work? -Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
Aphilip21
Private
United_States
Rep

^
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
Aphilip21
Private
United_States
Rep

^
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies guys, I accidentally put fuel pump but meant water pump. I'm in Tappan, NY (Rockland County) about an hr from Freeport & prob 2 hrs from Stony Brook. The car won't run for more than a few minutes so I'd have to tow it out to you guys, appreciate the offer.
PM me your zip code, I often drive to Edison, NJ and if it on my way I can plan with you to stop by with my coding cable/laptop to help you diag. Do you have a JB4 so you can pull codes/clear codes?

WP + Tstats + screws can be had from Tischer BMW at a good price of under $500 the rest is labor of about 2 or 3 hours.

Indy - maybe about $750 including parts
Stealership - Maybe about $1200

Make sure you get a warranty on the WP from whoever you install it from (for parts and labor), best to have the installer get the parts. case in point... my mechanic changed my WP/Tstat/screws/expansion tank/hose/etc... because I was at 105k miles (original pump with no issues yet), my case was because the labor was next to nothing since the subframe was already out for my car. Within 200 miles on the new pump... it had a hard failure. I had to tow it back to the Indy but got it replaced for free under warranty.

Last edited by fazman; 12-30-2015 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0