E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > My HWY 1 Trip Gone Awry!

11-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #45
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
When i torque my wheels, I torque them to 110 because after about a week, they loosen a bit and generally fall between the range of 90-100. I think what may have happened from what it looks like is they may have been undertorqued because it looks like there was some movement...although you would have probably felt that before it sheered off. Either way glad your safe. I can't imagine how scary that must have been.
Definitely had some frayed nerves! I've driven with loose bolts before and it was audible and I got some feed back from the steering wheel. Still gotta get in touch with Coast BMW, last update was they were proceeding with repairs to make the car mobile. It came out to a nice $999.60 figure to get it mobile again. I'm just wondering what I'm going to do about that wheel pending insurance. Takes 3 months to get a set of wheels from ForgeStar so I'm guessing it should take 1 month for a new wheel is my guess.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #46
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
Definitely had some frayed nerves! I've driven with loose bolts before and it was audible and I got some feed back from the steering wheel. Still gotta get in touch with Coast BMW, last update was they were proceeding with repairs to make the car mobile. It came out to a nice $999.60 figure to get it mobile again. I'm just wondering what I'm going to do about that wheel pending insurance. Takes 3 months to get a set of wheels from ForgeStar so I'm guessing it should take 1 month for a new wheel is my guess.
Damn. Yeah i had winter wheels last year with loose bolts and I was always wondering why i was getting some interesting feedback. Now i make sure I'm torqued up every month or so. Good thing though there wasn't more damage, I can only imagine what could of happened. I wonder if forgestar would be kind enough to prioritize your order. May want to talk to them about that.
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive [SOLD]

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:45 PM   #47
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3xf4ctor View Post
Damn. Yeah i had winter wheels last year with loose bolts and I was always wondering why i was getting some interesting feedback. Now i make sure I'm torqued up every month or so. Good thing though there wasn't more damage, I can only imagine what could of happened. I wonder if forgestar would be kind enough to prioritize your order. May want to talk to them about that.
I'm going to have to, maybe they can get me a free replacement or repair if insurance can't take care of the wheel.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #48
Th3xf4ctor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mazda6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7 View Post
I'm going to have to, maybe they can get me a free replacement or repair if insurance can't take care of the wheel.
I'm sure they will work with you some way or another.
2011 335i Sedan M Sport/Le Mans Blue Metallic/Glacier Aluminum Trim/Heated Seats/Premium Package/Black Leather/Ipod Adapter/Paddles/FormulaOne Tint/Matte Black Grilles/AA Signature Exhaust/AA Chargepipe/ Cobb Stage 1 Aggressive [SOLD]

2007 328i Coupe Sport/Matte Black Kidney's/3M Tint----Lemon'ed
[SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #49
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
......I've never seen a shop use a torque wrench on wheels.....
One of the reasons I go to Discount/America's Tires. They always use a torque wrench to tighten lugs.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #50
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorns View Post
One of the reasons I go to Discount/America's Tires. They always use a torque wrench to tighten lugs.
Calibrated tools are always the best. Impact wrenches are fine and all to work quickly, but using a torque wrench set to the appropriate torque gives me piece of mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #51
335hype
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Dang, Pablo. That's crazy! Sorry to hear about this. I've had my share of mishaps, but I've never seen this before. I've never heard of over-torqueing wheels, either. I set the impact wrench on max and let it fly and I think most wheel shops do, too. I've never seen a shop use a torque wrench on wheels. As you know, I also have the Forgestar F14s, but I didn't change out the stock lug bolts because there was about the same amount of thread left (a lot) as with the stock alloys. I'll bet your aftermarket lug bolts are inferior. I don't know what the chances are of getting some money out of the manufacturer (next to no chance), but it might be worth a try. Maybe this isn't the first time it's happened to someone using their product. Good thing you didn't sell your stock wheels and tires, yet.
Yeah man, I'm not a big fan of using impact wrenches, my Naval aviation mechanic attitude towards power tools kinda comes into play. Either way, they weren't loose or I would have known far in advance. The lug nuts are the ones ForgeStar sent with the wheels, the coneseats. Either way I have to talk to them about it and repairing the powder coating, hopefully I can get some resolution through them. I want to know if it was one or a couple of them that led to the sheering.
You should remove the bolts from one of the other corners and send them out for stress testing/analysis. That sheering should not occur from the type of driving you were doing and could definitely be the result of an inferior bolt or manufacturing process; might end up saving a few other folks in the process... Glad you're ok!
      11-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #52
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335hype View Post
You should remove the bolts from one of the other corners and send them out for stress testing/analysis. That sheering should not occur from the type of driving you were doing and could definitely be the result of an inferior bolt or manufacturing process; might end up saving a few other folks in the process... Glad you're ok!
Called the dealer and parts came in today and they're getting to work on getting it mobile again. I told the SA if they can salvage the remains of the bolts so I can send them in to a lab for analysis to find out if they were defective. I hope I can get my car back within 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #53
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Recent update was that the control arm(s) were bad and the damage is a bit more extensive so the SA is letting insurance know so he can get the additional parts on order. The mechanical damage was just shy of my deductible, but with the additional parts it'll exceed my deductible. I also got in touch with the vendor I got the wheels from to see if they can directly contact the guys over at ForgeStar. I don't expect the car back until just before Xmas if all goes well. I'll have to bust out the stock wheels when I get moved into a new house if ForgeStar doesn't come through. I have friends who still go to college so I'm going to try and see if they have hookups to any metallurgy labs their campus may have to get the remains of the lug bolts analyzed along with the undamaged ones. Wish me luck guys!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #54
tamnwfg
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I 2nd this... =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_506 View Post
1) glad you're ok, it could have been worse.
2) find it interesting that the bumper tabs didnt break lol
3) those are some ugly sideskirts
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #55
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

Well, glad you're OK OP, I am sure that could have been a lot worse. And thankful I read this. I searched around and from what I am reading, if a fastener is ever torqued past its yield point, you have permanently weakened it. Even if you loosened it up and re-torqued it within specs, that fastener is weak and should be replaced.

I just recently used 4 of my lug nuts to push out the spindle on my rear knuckle/bearing. I absolutely went well over 88ft lbs. Those lug nuts are still on my car, not sure which ones that are lol. Gonna go ahead and order some right now. Considering the importance of the job lugnuts do, better to be safe than sorry.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #56
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

So after returning home after being effectively on deployment since April and finally returning from Fleet Week in SF on the 16th I finally got a chance to get the car back in order. I picked up the car back in December , but there was some miscommunication on part of the body shop and they put the stock bumper back on. So they had to readjust my claim, order the diffuser from Duke and so forth. The adjustment was approved, but I was on the brink of leaving by the time the diffuser was received. I received the wheel replacement while I was away as well. While I was in SLO I had M3 rep rocker panels installed since my Rieger reps weren't faring well. The diffuser has a better mold than the old one, but the fitment still required some trimming. Skirts fit like OEM and look great. The newer finish on the rear right wheel contrasts with the other three, but you only see one side of the car at a time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 09:11 PM   #57
LSx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 Mineral White

1. Glad nobody was hurt.

2. Your car looks great now in that pic, looks like a good repair.

3. The lugs failed because they were not stretched properly (not enough torque), a bolt or stud needs to be put in the proper elastic state for the material and size in order to stay tight, once it loosens up it's subjected to shearing stress as the wheel torques back and forth (visible in your first pictures).

In the short term it's actually better to error to the side of over torquing fasteners than to under torque them, it will mean that it's not good for multiple uses or cycles, but it's less likely to fail due to backing off, this is the basis for the OEMs using torque to yield fasteners which are one time use.

So basically, if you haven't already, replace all the other bolts and torque them to 90#.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #58
Mutagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

I go 90lbs of torque and recheck them after a drive. Seen a lot of this when I was in autobody.
Appreciate 0