E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Why do Prius drivers speed?

03-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #23
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
Can you cut and paste some of the good stuff so we don't have to create a user id?? Too lazy..
Quoted:
"Snagged from some news print:

The Toyota Prius has become the flagship car for those in our society so environmentally conscious that they are willing to spend a premium to show the world how much they care. Unfortunately for them, their ultimate ‘green car’ is the source of some of the worst pollution in North America; it takes more combined energy per Prius to produce than a Hummer.

Before we delve into the seedy underworld of hybrids, you must first understand how a hybrid works. For this, we will use the most popular hybrid on the market, the Toyota Prius.

The Prius is powered by not one, but two engines: a standard 76 horsepower, 1.5-liter gas engine found in most cars today and a battery- powered engine that deals out 67 horsepower and a whooping 295ft/lbs of torque, below 2000 revolutions per minute. Essentially, the Toyota Synergy Drive system, as it is so called, propels the car from a dead stop to up to 30mph. This is where the largest percent of gas is consumed. As any physics major can tell you, it takes more energy to get an object moving than to keep it moving. The battery is recharged through the braking system, as well as when the gasoline engine takes over anywhere north of 30mph. It seems like a great energy efficient and environmentally sound car, right?

You would be right if you went by the old government EPA estimates, which netted the Prius an incredible 60 miles per gallon in the city and 51 miles per gallon on the highway. Unfortunately for Toyota, the government realized how unrealistic their EPA tests were, which consisted of highway speeds limited to 55mph and acceleration of only 3.3 mph per second. The new tests which affect all 2008 models give a much more realistic rating with highway speeds of 80mph and acceleration of 8mph per second. This has dropped the Prius’s EPA down by 25 percent to an average of 45mpg. This now puts the Toyota within spitting distance of cars like the Chevy Aveo, which costs less then half what the Prius costs.

However, if that was the only issue with the Prius, I wouldn’t be writing this article. It gets much worse.

Building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage than a Hummer that is on the road for three times longer than a Prius. As already noted, the Prius is partly driven by a battery which contains nickel. The nickel is mined and smelted at a plant in Sudbury, Ontario. This plant has caused so much environmental damage to the surrounding environment that NASA has used the ‘dead zone’ around the plant to test moon rovers. The area around the plant is devoid of any life for miles.

The plant is the source of all the nickel found in a Prius’ battery and Toyota purchases 1,000 tons annually. Dubbed the Superstack, the plague-factory has spread sulfur dioxide across northern Ontario, becoming every environmentalist’s nightmare.

“The acid rain around Sudbury was so bad it destroyed all the plants and the soil slid down off the hillside,” said Canadian Greenpeace energy-coordinator David Martin during an interview with Mail, a British-based newspaper.

All of this would be bad enough in and of itself; however, the journey to make a hybrid doesn’t end there. The nickel produced by this disastrous plant is shipped via massive container ship to the largest nickel refinery in Europe. From there, the nickel hops over to China to produce ‘nickel foam.’ From there, it goes to Japan. Finally, the completed batteries are shipped to the United States, finalizing the around-the-world trip required to produce a single Prius battery. Are these not sounding less and less like environmentally sound cars and more like a farce?

Wait, I haven’t even got to the best part yet.

When you pool together all the combined energy it takes to drive and build a Toyota Prius, the flagship car of energy fanatics, it takes almost 50 percent more energy than a Hummer - the Prius’s arch nemesis.

Through a study by CNW Marketing called “Dust to Dust,” the total combined energy is taken from all the electrical, fuel, transportation, materials (metal, plastic, etc) and hundreds of other factors over the expected lifetime of a vehicle. The Prius costs an average of $3.25 per mile driven over a lifetime of 100,000 miles - the expected lifespan of the Hybrid.

The Hummer, on the other hand, costs a more fiscal $1.95 per mile to put on the road over an expected lifetime of 300,000 miles. That means the Hummer will last three times longer than a Prius and use less combined energy doing it.

So, if you are really an environmentalist - ditch the Prius. Instead, buy one of the most economical cars available - a Toyota Scion xB. The Scion only costs a paltry $0.48 per mile to put on the road. If you are still obsessed over gas mileage - buy a Chevy Aveo and fix that lead foot.

One last fun fact for you: it takes five years to offset the premium price of a Prius. Meaning, you have to wait 60 months to save any money over a non-hybrid car because of lower gas expenses."
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #24
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Thanks for posting Bav..

Interesting article..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #25
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
why do lambo/ferrari drivers drive slow? that defeats the purpose of those cars too and i hate it when people buy fast cars to baby them...
      03-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #26
Autobot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F22 M235 6MT

Wow, amazing article, thanks for the info, interesting...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #27
VAE90
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I hate Scions (a box with wheels) almost as much as I hate kids on those new roller shoes.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 07:30 AM   #28
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAE90 View Post
I hate Scions (a box with wheels) almost as much as I hate kids on those new roller shoes.
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #29
poiney
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i coupe

Total cost of ownership is not the reason that prius is a successful car. Be thankful to others who are willing to pay more to help reduce demand on energy. Making a valid comparison of environmental impact is difficult between diifferent technologies, but in the big scheme of things, signficantly better gas mileage is probably the key environmental advantage given its severe impact in so many areas.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 09:43 AM   #30
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poiney View Post
Total cost of ownership is not the reason that prius is a successful car. Be thankful to others who are willing to pay more to help reduce demand on energy. Making a valid comparison of environmental impact is difficult between diifferent technologies, but in the big scheme of things, signficantly better gas mileage is probably the key environmental advantage given its severe impact in so many areas.
They pay more to feel good about themselves...
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #31
kudsim
M3K
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe SMG + Borla

lol indeed had many Prius's Fly by me and I would NOT be slow in the M3 AT ALL.. am like WTF, I drove the car and even bought one 2 years ago and shipped it home and IT CANNOT pull that much but guess it picks up momentum and drivers seem to think its cool to speed as its ALL GREEN and STILL saving em gas! defeats purpose BIG TIME if you'd ask me...

End of the world indeed! lol
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #32
scottwww
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i, 15 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydrz View Post
They pay more to feel good about themselves...
Isn't that like Algore's carbon footprint carbon credits thingy?
      03-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #33
06330i
fresher den you
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2004 x3

Garage List
2006 E90, 330i  [0.00]
haha has anyone seen the white and nerdy video?? they rip on the prius.
      03-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #34
shragon
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

they speed?

most the ones i see are road boulders, driving below the speed limit in the fast lane with their eyes mostly on their screen rather than the road.
      04-03-2007, 11:33 AM   #35
Inkidoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

This is very funny, a few days ago, I don't remember, a Prius passed me, and he was speeding! I was about 95MPH, and he passed me. I didn't notice it was a Prius because I was expecting another car. Funny, I share your opinion as well. Maybe they would like to feel the speed too. They are letting all the anger go at once, since in the city they have to behave.
|| 335i Sedan || Montego Blue || Black Leather || Aluminum Trim || Sport Package || STEPTRONIC || Paddle Shifters || BWM Assist/Bluetooth || Park Distance Control || Comfort Access || Navigation System || Satellite Radio ||
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #36
Neil
The Designer
Rep
Drives: Nissan

I also get a chuckle out of soccer mom's pulling 90mph in their minivans and driving like their roast was gonna burn in the oven.
Appreciate 0