E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > FAO 335 drivers, ''when asked what do you drive''.....?

View Poll Results: what do you say?
Three Thirty Five 15 45.45%
Three Three Five 18 54.55%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

11-04-2007, 05:43 AM   #89
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
Carlos - I hope you read through some of the previous posts and realise that we are not ;out to get you' - neither are we asking for you to get kicked off. Some idiot turned up on here last night, who i THINK knows you from another forum. He basically posted complete rubbish and started a thread. The comments and thread thankfully have been removed.

What did get everyones back up was the content of yet another post. It is difficult to explain beacuse I for one did not just log on and slag you off. Yes, I was the first one to comment, but in all fairness i have thought about similar comments many times. I really enjoy coming to this forum, and people come here for different things. I come to learn about my car, ask questions that I am unsure about and try and answer some other guys questions with my limited amount of BMW knowledge. I am also a car nut who eats, sleeps and breathes cars. I also can be a complete daft idiot at times but I believe there is a time and a place.

I do not object to OT posts at all - maybe a different section might help though to be honest. There just seems to be a complete plethora of OT posts sometimes and you are the main OP. I often pop on to see how a fellow owner is getting on with particular troubles, and then greeted with 'how do you pronounce the engine size of your car, is an old M quicker than blah blah, will a remapped 335d beat a porsche, etc etc.. I know these are not identical posts but I cant be bothere to go back and retrieve exact subjects but I am sure you get my meaning. You then have to search around tryin to find the relevent posts and I often log off wondering why I had bothered.

It also appears that other people who visit agree with me - last night was the straw that broke the camels back - we were not out to get you kicked off and at times you make me chuckle and I smile at a lot of the humour on here, but when relevent posts are the minority it becomes frustrating. I am a lot older than you but does not mean I have lost my sense of humour, however with age comes maturity and I am sure in a few years you will lokk back at a few things and understand why we sometimes get wound up with ya

I hope you dont take personal offence at this - I certainly do not want to fall out with anyone, and typing text in a forum is difficult to put words down how you exactly mean to say them.

Paul

Well put

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 05:48 AM   #90
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
Well put
+1 thanks redcab for some constructive critism. I did not see this other thread, and i hope not many of you contributed and agreed, but ill never know..

Carl
      11-04-2007, 05:51 AM   #91
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Hopefully Carl, the reaction, in both directions, will make you think before posting some of the things that you do, maybe stop you posting in 'text' language, and also hopefully the admins will put an OT section in, where you can put all you want up, without interrupting, what this 'car' forum is about

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 05:53 AM   #92
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
+1 thanks redcab for some constructive critism. I did not see this other thread, and i hope not many of you contributed and agreed, but ill never know..

Carl
he was basically ignored to be honest - all the other posts are still there i think, just his have been removed.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 07:52 AM   #93
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

I for one Carlos like you and understand your a young guy in a very priveledeged position. At 24 you are very lucky to have you dad support you to buy a top of the range performance car which is great. But your family have also put a great deal of trust in you to be responsible and I hope you do not let yourself of them down. I am not jelous of your position, far from it but if I was your family I would have gone for something like a 320i/d and set the challange that if you work hard in life you can get 330's 335's etc.

The 335d is a beast of a car and driving maturinty comes from owning a car like this and knowing when not to use it more than when to use it.

No disrespect to 320 drivers they are a fantastic car and all I would ever need everyday.

Anyway Carlos please don't leave the forum, show more respect for other peoples lesser models. Life is expensive mortgage, bills, holidays 2 family cars not cheap in the UK and when someone has saved for years to buy their dream car say good on them and not you should buy the next one up.

I am 34 years old my family have always given me the support yours have. I have worked bloody hard to become a Chartered Management Accountant and put myself in a comfortable position.

I hope to get to the rolling road day and I am looking forward to meeting you, having lunch and a beer if I can make it.

If you think I've been unfair please pm me and I would not have written if I did not care.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 08:09 AM   #94
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Exclamation A shame

I'd just like to stress that everything I'm going to say is my own personal opinion, so if you don't like it, don't read it, ok.

I think I've been on this particular forum long-enough to know how most things work on here, what can cause problems & what can be done to sort them out.
Ultimately, the whole point of the forum is to contribute to knowledge about our cars, to try to help other members, to simply get on with each other & to enjoy yourself in trying to do so.

Sometimes, I think a few people end up forgetting that.

Around the time I joined up on here, in May '05, there was only a 'handful' of UK members using this UK section on a regular basis- Paul (1stnewcar), Matt (mjh93sa), Paul (beauforty), Pads (paddywac) & later Marilyn (Mickey) & Floyd (SoYank).
We 'got on' with each other then and we still do now! I think I've been lucky to have met them at all, to have enjoyed their company, their views & their knowledge, however bogus some of it might have been.
So, I now think of them as my 'friends'.

Threads were simple & easy-to-follow, questions were answered and members actually bothered to before starting new topics. Threads did go 'off-topic', but it was fun & made the whole experience a lot more enjoyable for everyone taking part.
All of this meant that there were a relatively low number of threads within the UK section. As new topics were discussed, new threads did appear, but when anyone had something to say about a topic, it was posted in a previously-opened thread, if it was relevant. Usually, there wasn't a need to start a new thread.
As such, forum life was simple.

Progressively, as new members have joined the UK section & the newer E92 & E93 models & options have appeared, new threads have continued to appear.
This is understandable, particularly when threads concerning newer topics are being discussed. eg 6FL, BMW Assist, problems with turbos etc
However, I get annoyed when it's evident to see a new thread-poster has not bothered to , especially when the OP's question has already been answered, expanded & simplified again, again & again.

What's even more annoying is the appearance of new threads asking the same question as one which appeared a few days previously.
I really think this is a total & complete waste of people's time & effort to bother contributing to the same questions, again and again. :sad0147:

Now, this was all relatively well & good, until Carlos (dxb335d) arrived.
I don't think Carl (yes- Carl, not Carlos, Carlossadjuster or anything else I've called him in the past!) will mind me saying the following about him, so I'll just say it.

Carl 'appeared' with his dad's 335d & posted away, no matter what. I have to say that I did get a little annoyed with his posts many times, but I bit my tongue. :sad0147:
In my view, he continued with his 'post-modern' approach to posting, not seeming to give a sh*t what anyone thought about what he had to say.
He started threads which I'd never have the 'imagination' to begin. Some might say I should use 'stupidity', instead.
I did actually have a 'quiet' PM with him on several occasions, just to tell him where I thought he stood with all of us. He did actually take notice of what I said, for a while, at least.

I met Carl at the UK4 meet in Ashboune & it was actually an enjoyable time. I think all the boys had a great day & I think we all genuinely enjoyed the time we spent with each other & with Carl.
We did make fun of him with the 'dipstick' video, but I think every one of us actually enjoyed it, including Carl himself.
I think it was very 'big' of him to make the effort to spend 4 hours or so with us, especially since he had to get back to Essex for a night of work.
I think there are a lot of members who wouldn't show the same level of commitment shown by Carl that day.

Since then, I think I have been more 'patient' with Carl's posts & I think he is more understanding of what irritates most of us on here. I even look forward to reading some of his posts, especially on a Friday, because they can be quite funny, even though he doesn't always understand why.
Have a look at this example!

I do agree with some of the things the 'Carlos non-followers' have said concerning the need to 'think before posting'. If you ever meet Carl, you'll understands that he does say exactly what he means, without using any 'brain-induced filtering'. He types in just the same way, unfortunately.
I'm not trying to defend him, because I think he does need to learn to think a little bit more before posting.
However, I do now realise that he doesn't purposely make malicious posts, he doesn't always understand why we find what he says so ridiculously funny & he doesn't always understand what our verbal 'hints' actually mean!

The 'off-topic' thread problem is a slightly different issue, in my opinion, because although Carl has been responsible for starting the majority of these topics, he has not been the only member. In some respects, you could call him a 'pioneer' for needing to discuss this issue at all. There again, you could call him a lot of other things as well!

In my opinion, something does need to be done about the 'off-topic' threads. They are certainly making a lot more difficult & time consuming, for those who actually bother to search at all.
There is nothing wrong with off-topic threads- they just need to be in the 'right place', to keep the main UK section 'tidier', to make searching easier & to let members find the answers to their problems more easily & more quickly.

As with all threads, if you do not personally like them, the issues they are likely to evoke, or even the poster making the original post, then just ignore them, ok.
To post in that thread to say how utterly disgusted you are that it's there at all, how stupid that question sounds or how much it supports the fact that the OP is a complete idiot- it is not nice, civil, appropriate or strictly tolerable.

If you do not agree with the OP's thread, the views within it or the OP his/herself, then simply do not read the thread. No one is forcing you to do so. In my opinion, if you aren't going to say something nice, then don't say it at all.

If you have any objections to any threads, posts or PMs, then you can send a PM to the admins Mark or Jason. They will look at the evidence & do something about it, as they see fit.

There are forum rules to which all members are supposed to adhere here.

Overall, I am proud to be a member of the entire forum & especially to be part of the UK section. There is a big world outside of the UK section, although it is somewhat US-oriented. That, however, should not stop you from posting in other sections- most of the members are quite friendly.

One issue we all need to consider is the fact that this is a public forum, meaning anyone can read any post in any part of the forum, including the UK section.
I know for a fact, that many international members regularly visit our UK section. They keep in touch with me on a regular basis & I have been proud to meet some of them face-to-face & to have represented all of the UK members in doing so.

These international 'friends' of ours see our section as something to be proud of. They enjoy reading our views of the same problems they encounter in their own countries & they like the way in which we 'acquire' information, use it & share it. They love our meets & they love our photos & videos! I think we are lucky to be looked upon so 'highly'.

As such, I'd like to make sure our section runs smoothly & without problem. I shall be speaking to Mark & Jason to sort something out, with the intention to make forum life easier for all of us

I hope you agree with some, if not all of what I've said.

Enjoy yourselves, please be nice & act responsibly.

All the very best.

Viv

Last edited by vivekk; 11-04-2007 at 08:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 08:13 AM   #95
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
I for one Carlos like you and understand your a young guy in a very priveledeged position. At 24 you are very lucky to have you dad support you to buy a top of the range performance car which is great. But your family have also put a great deal of trust in you to be responsible and I hope you do not let yourself of them down. I am not jelous of your position, far from it but if I was your family I would have gone for something like a 320i/d and set the challange that if you work hard in life you can get 330's 335's etc.

The 335d is a beast of a car and driving maturinty comes from owning a car like this and knowing when not to use it more than when to use it.

No disrespect to 320 drivers they are a fantastic car and all I would ever need everyday.

Anyway Carlos please don't leave the forum, show more respect for other peoples lesser models. Life is expensive mortgage, bills, holidays 2 family cars not cheap in the UK and when someone has saved for years to buy their dream car say good on them and not you should buy the next one up.

I am 34 years old my family have always given me the support yours have. I have worked bloody hard to become a Chartered Management Accountant and put myself in a comfortable position.

I hope to get to the rolling road day and I am looking forward to meeting you, having lunch and a beer if I can make it.

If you think I've been unfair please pm me and I would not have written if I did not care.
Hi gibbo, i aint 24 yet mate

i dont think i have ever said any bad words about any smaller engined bmw? if i have i apologize The question was 335d/330d, i am biased lol..

i am too currently working hard, and have worked for a very large construction company for over 4 years. I am thinking of another avenues as i would like to earn a higher income!! I would really like to work for my father but will have to wait and see.

It will be good to meet you and some others i have yet to meet at the R/R day

Carlos
      11-04-2007, 08:48 AM   #96
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
In my opinion, something does need to be done about the 'off-topic' threads. They are certainly making a lot more difficult & time consuming, for those who actually bother to search at all.
There is nothing wrong with off-topic threads- they just need to be in the 'right place', to keep the main UK section 'tidier', to make searching easier & to let members find the answers to their problems more easily & more quickly.
And the award for the longest post of the day goes to ....

Viv

Off topic section isn't a bad idea, it would be nice for Carlos to have his own little space

I don't think the current situation is that bad, but then I enjoy a bit of off-topic discussion.

It's difficult to talk about fridges all the time
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #97
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
And the award for the longest post of the day goes to ....

Viv

Off topic section isn't a bad idea, it would be nice for Carlos to have his own little space

I don't think the current situation is that bad, but then I enjoy a bit of off-topic discussion.

It's difficult to talk about fridges all the time
Thanks NFS.

There's a vicious rumour that Hotpoint is gaining ground on Bosch, but only on the straights!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #98
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks NFS.

There's a vicious rumour that Hotpoint is gaining ground on Bosch, but only on the straights!

Viv
There is no point in having any kitchen appliance if it doesn't handle well on a track.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 09:03 AM   #99
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
There is no point in having any kitchen appliance if it doesn't handle well on a track.
For old time's sake, I'm going to dig up that fridge thread!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #100
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
For old time's sake, I'm going to dig up that fridge thread!

Viv
Ahhhh the fridge thread ...

We must preserve it for future generations
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:12 AM   #101
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Can I just say I wish I'd had the eloquence to say what E92fan said, last night instead of bickering my points with those posting "against" Carlos.

Instead I got into bickering with some people which got me angry and upset and perhaps turned me off the forums a bit which I hope won't last for my sake as I enjoy it here. I regret that, but I felt someone should stick up for this lad rather than bash him down, and I don't regret the thrust of my points - Carlos can be annoying with his posts (apparently, I've never felt particularly annoyed by them but I'm a fairly tolerant person), but it is not such a problem that they can't be skipped over IMHO - if you can't skip over them then you are perhaps taking the forum too seriously IMHO, and whatever he's done he doesn't deserve to be called sad, dickhead or anything else. I'm obviously not his dad (I think someone suggested that, I probably do look old enough but biologically not possible) but I did feel like an adult witnessing some playground bullies which was a bit disturbing. There are ways and means of saying things is what I was trying to say. Perhaps it is coincidence that poobarr arrived last night but I still think the posts gave him the encouragement he needed to take it that extra mile (although I think without him it had already got too personal). I'm glad he and his thread are gone, I too pm'd the admins last night and they seem to have acted swiftly and silently. I used to think we don't need an OT section or admins specifically on this section but now I'm not so sure.

Carlos seems to have taken it in his stride and that was my concern, perhaps I assumed stupidly that he was a sensitive sole and wouldn't want to come here and read such bile directed at him.

Anway, I'm hoping we can put it all behind us and crack on with the business of contributing to this great forum.

Group hug ?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:18 AM   #102
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post

Group hug ?
Only if it's by the fridge!

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #103
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Then it would be a frigid hug?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:26 AM   #104
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Anway, I'm hoping we can put it all behind us and crack on with the business of contributing to this great forum.

Group hug ?
I certainly have no hard feelings against anyone - I also dont think I resorted to any name calling or bullying. I was just trying to make a valid point about something that was annoying me and had done for a while.

I did not and do not want to cause any offence to anyone on this board - Carlos replied to my post this morning in a very grown up manner and hope he does not feel any grudges either, although IMO an off-topic section may help keep this from happening again. There is a very wide mix of people on this site. People with quite basic 320's up to highly modded 335's, people very young with a lot to learn, and people a bit older who have done a little learning already. There is the old 'crew' who know each other and their humour well and the newbies who try to contribute as best they can. I know it should not matter, but law of averages says we can't all get on all the time! It is not surprising there is the odd fall out, and it does only seem to be the OT posts that cause them?

Here's to E90post and a more tolerant future
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #105
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
RedE93Cab - I felt most guilty about arguing with you as you were making sound logical points and didn't seem to be personal or as personal (can't remember now) as perhaps others. I think I'll only come on here during the day from now on, that is the latest I've been on and I reckon it gets rowdy round these parts late at night

Cheers,

Paul

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #106
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Everyones happy
Carlos has took the hint although i would have exspected a full on strop this morning just shows the boy is now a MAN
as for the Carlos hate topic thing didn't see it and glad i didnt

right can we talk about fridges (for real)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 12:05 PM   #107
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
silverbmwz3 I think I'll only come on here during the day from now on, that is the latest I've been on and I reckon it gets rowdy round these parts late at night
Cheers,
Paul
Good thinking Silver,it's definetly not the place to be late at night,E92 turns into a den of iniquity,full of dodgy no-hopers.
Do what I do,retire early,leccy blanket on & the latest copy of Readers Wives.

Absolutely spiffing!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #108
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Is that e90post readers wives or some other group of readers wives ?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #109
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
silverbmwz3 Is that e90post readers wives or some other group of readers wives ?
Just a thought,I wonder what car Helen's partner drives?

"I see trouble ahead"

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 12:24 PM   #110
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Hmmmm now I'm confused.....You want a readers wives pic of helen's partner? Might that not be a reader's husband's shot ?
Appreciate 0