E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help! Metallic smoke

06-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
stoweboarder720
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 335is

Help! Metallic smoke

So I completed the eccentric shaft sensor repair today and replaced the valvetronic motor gasket, valve cover gaskets, and eccentric shaft sensor gaskets as well and did new spark plugs. Started it up and all the eccentric shaft sensor codes were gone. However, the engine started to smoke and the smoke had a very metallic smell and it ran a little rough. I shut it off immediately and rescanned. I have a cylinder misfire code though it doesn't specify the cylinder which would explain the rough idle (though the start was way smoother than before ironically, so the shaft sensor must've been bad). Anyway, the smoke really freaked me out. Though it was oil but the metallic smell threw me off. I used a lot of copper-based liquid gasket to hold the valve cover gasket in place during installation, so my best guess now is that this smoke/smell is it burning off? Does anyone have any ideas? Please help!
Appreciate 0