E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > My COBB Access Port Review

02-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

My COBB Access Port Review

Hi all,

I thought I'd write a quick thread to let you all know my experiece with my newly acquired and installed (today) COBB Tuning Access Port.

I received the Access Port last week from AR Design (kindly organised by 335i London ) who I may add have been superb and friendly throughout the whole 'getting it here' procedure from the USA. I went home that evening and downloaded the COBB AP Manger 2.0 from their website, I then connected the AP to my PC via the supplied USB cable which Windows 7 had no problem installing a driver for. I unplugged the AP from my PC and went to the car to start the ECU flash but as I had the lastest dealer firmware flash a couple of months back, I expected to hit a wall and have the AP unable to read the the ECU properly. Anyway, I got into the car and shut the door, removed the OBD II port cover in the drivers side footwell and plugged in the lead supplied with the AP to the port, then the other end into the AP and without touching any buttons or pedals I pressed the start/stop button once to activate the ignition. Making sure that the radio, climate control and all other mod-cons were turned off I then looked at the AP and confirmed that I understood the controls, then clicked install. As I thought, unrecognised ROM message was displayed and the AP offered to take a copy of my ECU data and store it via the User Tools menu, of course I did this.

I took my AP into my house and back to the laptop, connected it up and transferred the ROM dump onto it via the AP manager, I then emailed this to COBB who emailed me back at lightning speed to say thank you, that they had received it that it could take up to 5days for them to sort this out for me. They were polite, friendly & professional which made this whole alien procedure (to me) of self-mapping seem like no biggy at all...well really it isn't but I live in fear since owning a Peugeot that every mishap is a recipe for a new car.
Less than 1 business day later, COBB emailed me back to say that they had updated their database and that I should go ahead and connect my AP to the Manager 2.0 and update it, they did this with fool proof instructions and again put my mind at rest. Update done and time to flash the car, connected the AP as before and hit Install, the AP now recognised my car and I clicked OK to confirm that, now onto the map selection. I had a choice (as I am stock) of Stage 1 Aggressive, Stage 1 Sport or Stage 1 Drive, each with aggressive or linear type mapping, I chose Aggressive/aggressive if that makes sense. The car then started bleeping, whiring, ticking as COBB says it would as the OE map was removed from the ECU and stored on the AP, this took about 7mins, then more noises while the flash was uploaded which took about 10mins and I killed this time surfing E90Post on my iPhone. Installation complete and the AP removed all error codes, I then removed the key from its slot and then pushed it back in and started the engine...perfect start up like always.

Now, the drive. This consisted of a warm up and then 10mins quick sprint as I have other plans tonight. Straight away you can tell that the car is more urgent, it wants to pull more and driving in the low rev range is easier and much more torquey. A little blip of the throttle shows the car willing to take off, you could easily hold the car on light throttle and it would kill most normal cars on the road, it feels really powerful with the feeling of a swell of power ready to go nuts behind you and above all, so smooth. What you wanted to hear about is how it goes at full throttle (full-ish anyway due to the icey roads), all I can say is WOW, what a great job COBB have done and THIS is how the car should be from the factory, acceleration is relentless and it pulls very very hard all the way up so I can now see why BMW weren't keen on letting the N54 produce numbers close to their flagship M3. It really goes like stink and is so much fun to drive now but watch the speedo, seriously! The car just feels better in every sense and doing away with the 'restrictive' OE mapping is a massive plus point, everything just ticks better with this new tune and I can't wait to drive it properly this weekend. To compare this to stock, performance wise is almost night and day, it's basically a new car and would easily wipe the floor with a standard 335i.

I'll try to add to this as the weeks go on and the car adapts/I drive it more but bottom line, this product is fantastic and I am 100% in love with my car .

I will be running the car on a dyno in 4weeks.

P.S. This is on UK pump 99RON (93/94 U.S Octane)

Last edited by Cozy; 02-07-2012 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
AC792
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i

Awesome review! Are you running 93 octane gas?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktm.Moto View Post
Awesome review! Are you running 93 octane gas?
Thanks . Yes, well I believe our 99RON fuel equates to 94 Octane, 93 at least.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
AC792
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Very cool! I am in the process of purchasing my 335i and am picking it up this weekend. I am definitely going for a Cobb and DCI right away, I can't wait. Thanks for the awesome review, helped a ton
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktm.Moto View Post
Very cool! I am in the process of purchasing my 335i and am picking it up this weekend. I am definitely going for a Cobb and DCI right away, I can't wait. Thanks for the awesome review, helped a ton
No problem . I don't have a DCI and as far as I can tell the car doesn't seem strangled but for Stage 2 I will get one certainly.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Cool review. Glad you're enjoying the car so much. Now it's time for the 'Ring this year so you can really let that car fly!

Alpina_B3_Lux
      02-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

I'm doing mine now as I type. Bloody freezing. Idrive keep popping up messages , really worried about the battery drain too. I chose the linear /agressive map I can't wait to try it out .. only 16% done lol

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
335iLondon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Msport

Nice write up mate.
Just had a go on valet map out of curiosity, very nice feature!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Good review. seem like a great product!

BTW It's Octane in the UK, we have RON (research octane number) and the US have AKI (anti knock index) which is the average of MON (motor octane number) and RON

......which they sometimes call PON (pump octane number)

Last edited by doughboy; 02-07-2012 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Cool review. Glad you're enjoying the car so much. Now it's time for the 'Ring this year so you can really let that car fly!

Alpina_B3_Lux
I'll try , I wouldn't mind stiffening the suspension first but it worries me doing it in a cabrio as although it handles on the road well, won;t it be really bad on a track?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
I'm doing mine now as I type. Bloody freezing. Idrive keep popping up messages , really worried about the battery drain too. I chose the linear /agressive map I can't wait to try it out .. only 16% done lol
How do you like the linear then? I chose aggressive because that's how I've had my previous cars mapped and I like the kick in the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iLondon View Post
Nice write up mate.
Just had a go on valet map out of curiosity, very nice feature!
I hear that they do this by holding open the wastegates, makes the exhaust sound good apparently...up to 4000rpm anyway .

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Good review. seem like a great product!

BTW It's Octane in the UK, we have RON (research octane number) and the US have AKI (anti knock index) which is the average of MON (motor octane number) and RON

......which they sometimes call PON (pump octane number)
Confusing Amercan's
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
OfficialBOLO
Captain
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i X-Drive MSport

Garage List
installing a cobb is easy but all the crazy sh*t that pops up on your dash and idrive screen terrifies me every time. Its hard to shake that feeling that this time one of those errors will stick. But its not a Cobb issue, its a general BMW "sh*t malfunctions for no reason all the time" issue lol

Enjoy it, it makes the car a beast.

1995 Toyota Supra Single Turbo (for sale)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i se

Hey! Happy days, another satisfied cobb user

I've a set of catless downpipes sitting waiting for stage 2 - but I can't actually imagine what another jump up will feel like.

The worst part is having to wait for the oil to warm up each time!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Finally!!! ...Thanks for the review!!!!.....Well written!!!...

Looks like most of you guys had to emailed your oem map to Cobb.....
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

I noticed that there wasn't an aggressive/stock throttle map for stage 2 so if you're using the aggressive stage 1 Nigelo, it might feel a bit less pokey even though you're making more power according to reviews on the US side.

My ECU was a I80AS or something along those lines but COBB did a great job of setting me up.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
335iLondon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigelo View Post
Hey! Happy days, another satisfied cobb user

I've a set of catless downpipes sitting waiting for stage 2 - but I can't actually imagine what another jump up will feel like.

The worst part is having to wait for the oil to warm up each time!
Ha Plus 1 on this, although having a remap already it is less of a jump. I blame it on the weather!

So I think all 5 out of 5 people had to send their Rom to Cobb. No big deal really, a little frustrating when you have a new toy, but the turn around was within 24 working hours. (mine foolishly was sent on the weekend!)

I flashed directly over my DMS map, with no issue whatsoever, and it gave me a good chance to judge the before and after effect of the two. I guess there maybe people wanting a comparison.

So having the DMS map RR'd at about 368bhp the first flash I went for was the Stage 1 aggressive. The install was fine, made sure I did it after driving the car for over an hour, all DRL's off, aircon etc. Flash was done in 35mins total. Not yet sure if I can still revert back to the DMS remap supposedly stored as 'Stock' on the AP device.
Some warnings turned up, cleared codes, very simple procedures on the AP.
I did notice after flash to Stage1 the golf tee mode no longer showed a code.

Anyway onto the driving experience.

The DMS map had been on the car for a year or so iirc. Was very happy, it had been faultlessly smooth and totally trouble free. Even with the occasional launch up the pod, it never misbehaved once.

The change I felt between the two maps which are essentially aimed at the same target audience, the difference of which is fairly pronounced. The rpm where the boost really made itself known came on stronger and alot sooner. I have not really run the car through the gears for lack of a legal way of doing so!. But foot down in second is very entertaining, and probably irresponsible with summer tires on!

Needless to say after a short time I can determine I am making more power, according to bum dyno, hopefully I can verify in due course. At the same time as installing the Cobb I put in an upgraded panel filter from Neil and I cannot say if this is making any difference but the car is making a nice noise when boost comes on. It is recommended on the Cobb site so cant be doing any harm.

The one change which I am not 100% sure on is the linear trottle. This is more complex than I really understand how they do it! but essentially it is supposed to allow the trottle position to translate into directly the requested increase in power. The stock mapping has a strange curve in which the last 10% or so of travel does very little.
The Result seems to be that the trottle is smoother and a little less responsive or twitchy (depends what type of driver you are I suppose).
In my initial experiences with it installed it does not seem to be spot on responsive, but I think this maybe to do with a required adaptation period from the car. Time will tell, but I will be interested to change to the 'stock trottle mapping to determine my preferred option.

Last but not least, the handheld unit can be used to monitor the live data as per the very nifty canbus features on piggys.
The downside is a cable plugged into the OBD port, which may get integrating as although out of the way tucked into dash/door gap not really a neat solution.
Anyway nice features such as true MPH read out, good fun to check against accuracy of the speedo, Live boost data (I must find out what minus figures mean!).
The oil temp can be shown in a blurred 3/4 figure sort of way, but interesting to watch the sometimes stumbling idle. I am sure there is a proper list of the features somewhere!

Looking forward to getting to stage 2+. Surely is going to be very quick.

So after a short time, feels like a good purchase for the cost, thanks to AR design for getting us a good deal, and the process was pretty much hassle free from start to finish.
and hopefully the pic shows the unit mounted showing live data, taken at an apparently, true 70mph, by a well positioned passenger of course.
Edit: which has turned upside down. erm you get the idea though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #16
Nigelo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i se

I managed to get away without having to send my rom download to Cobb.

Must check the throttle mapping on stage 2 - I thought it was just as stock (ie not the linear one)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #17
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

My short review

Linear aggressive = not to sure if the map was on

Aggressive map = first tried when i had the chance was from 20mph to 50mph..i thought to myself during the acceleration ''WooooahhhHHHHHHHHH!!!!! " and then once i release my pedal..i shouted ''FoUK ME!!!'' .... upon completing my journey to london i felt car sick!

It is that awesome!! then on my way home down the M3..the beast keeps roaring..it wanted me to press the pedal more..driving at 110(Km) it seems it is not even awake!!

Anyway Credits to 335ilondon for all his hardwork!! Many thanks!!

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
I'll try , I wouldn't mind stiffening the suspension first but it worries me doing it in a cabrio as although it handles on the road well, won;t it be really bad on a track?
You'll be absolutely fine and will have a blast! Of course the convertible isn't the best track tool, but for the first 60-80 laps (which you won't be able to do anyway on that week-end) you'll drive far, far below the limits of your car anyway (or else the possibility that you crash it will be quite high...), so that shouldn't be a problem at all.

I can only recommend you to do that, it'll be loads of fun and the company is always excellent. I just hope Tone organises something this year - I'll be going on two trackdays most likely, 18 June and 20 August. Also, there's one Friday in May - 11th to be precise - where the 'Ring is open the whole day for the public ("Touristenfahrten"). Unique opportunity, I can only urge anyone to organise a week-end 'Ring trip then. A German forum has already planned a 1M meeting, so there should be loads of BMW enthusiast there.

Quote:
I noticed that there wasn't an aggressive/stock throttle map for stage 2 so if you're using the aggressive stage 1 Nigelo, it might feel a bit less pokey even though you're making more power according to reviews on the US side.
Hmmm, at least for my car there were linear and stock (aka aggressive) throttle maps for any specific stage 2 map. I'm using the stage 2+FMIC sports map with stock throttle right now and it feels quite fast - although with snow outside (again) I can't really try it out anyhow.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      02-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #19
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iLondon View Post
....I did notice after flash to Stage1 the golf tee mode no longer showed a code.....
The external golf tee mod shouldn't show a code as the car can't see it. The 'unplugged the solenoid in the boot' mod will though..

Do you use the second method

Quote:
....I must find out what minus figures mean....
Vacuum, i.e deceleration.

Last edited by doughboy; 02-08-2012 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 03:24 AM   #20
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
You'll be absolutely fine and will have a blast! Of course the convertible isn't the best track tool, but for the first 60-80 laps (which you won't be able to do anyway on that week-end) you'll drive far, far below the limits of your car anyway (or else the possibility that you crash it will be quite high...), so that shouldn't be a problem at all.

I can only recommend you to do that, it'll be loads of fun and the company is always excellent. I just hope Tone organises something this year - I'll be going on two trackdays most likely, 18 June and 20 August. Also, there's one Friday in May - 11th to be precise - where the 'Ring is open the whole day for the public ("Touristenfahrten"). Unique opportunity, I can only urge anyone to organise a week-end 'Ring trip then. A German forum has already planned a 1M meeting, so there should be loads of BMW enthusiast there.

Hmmm, at least for my car there were linear and stock (aka aggressive) throttle maps for any specific stage 2 map. I'm using the stage 2+FMIC sports map with stock throttle right now and it feels quite fast - although with snow outside (again) I can't really try it out anyhow.

Alpina_B3_Lux
It really does sound fun so I'll definitely consider it, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a thread on here. It would be great to attend any 'meets' that go on here anyway so I can meet a few of you helpful people .

Sorry Alpina, I meant the Stage 2 (non +FMIC) map, the one with just DP's required. I didn't see an aggressive option here unless I skimmed past it but the +FMIC maps all had aggressive options fors sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoro35i View Post
My short review

Linear aggressive = not to sure if the map was on

Aggressive map = first tried when i had the chance was from 20mph to 50mph..i thought to myself during the acceleration ''WooooahhhHHHHHHHHH!!!!! " and then once i release my pedal..i shouted ''FoUK ME!!!'' .... upon completing my journey to london i felt car sick!

It is that awesome!! then on my way home down the M3..the beast keeps roaring..it wanted me to press the pedal more..driving at 110(Km) it seems it is not even awake!!

Anyway Credits to 335ilondon for all his hardwork!! Many thanks!!
Glad you're having fun! I tried to describe it in my review but the car seems to have 3 modes, normal driving, smooth and fast on part throttle and then warp speed on full throttle, sounds like your found warp speed lol. I quite like it that way, for the street at least and is really really fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 03:45 AM   #21
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Glad you're having fun! I tried to describe it in my review but the car seems to have 3 modes, normal driving, smooth and fast on part throttle and then warp speed on full throttle, sounds like your found warp speed lol. I quite like it that way, for the street at least and is really really fun.
LOL! They're just so fast on part throttle, you often forget there's more left.

A definite wooooaaahh WOT in 2nd and 3rd, love the way you can pass 5 or 6 cars where 1 would be enough in any other car.. and you have to start braking by car no.3 to pull in after car 5!

Last edited by doughboy; 02-08-2012 at 03:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #22
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
It really does sound fun so I'll definitely consider it, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a thread on here. It would be great to attend any 'meets' that go on here anyway so I can meet a few of you helpful people .
There already is a sticky in this forum with the June and August dates. I do hope Tone gets to properly organise a trip as well - would be great to meet!
Quote:
Sorry Alpina, I meant the Stage 2 (non +FMIC) map, the one with just DP's required. I didn't see an aggressive option here unless I skimmed past it but the +FMIC maps all had aggressive options fors sure.
Ah I see, my bad.

BTW, next week my car undergoes a major operation again - new clutch (ClutchMasters FX300) and upgraded turbos. I'm quite curious to see how the COBB maps work with the bigger turbos.

Alpina_B3_Lux