E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > BUSINESS TRAVELERS! Recommend to me a carry-on?

08-29-2011, 07:02 PM   #23
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335xi (e92)

Garage List
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Tumi? Lol give me a break. Zero Halliburton or go home.

LOL... you either have never travelled for work, or exclusively fly private. I would envy both at this point.

For real... there are different modes where I choose different carry-ons. I've done around the world (15+ destinations) trips in a week or so where I've only carried-on and also will do day domestics or day stops in London where I just take a briefcase. Even then, it's a soft bag. Always a soft bag.

I see the modes as
1- Carry-on only; single day (easy)
2- Carry-on only; multiday
3- Checking; carry-on for work/back-up suit

mode 2 takes the most practice and thought. The rest is easy. I used to go for the best luggage, but now I try to find functional and light bags that I don't mind replacing. Don't get me wrong, it's not the super cheap stuff - but, functional, LIGHT and slick (bc it's gotta look decent if in the back of a meeting room and also survive extreme abuse...)

(I'm *G, 1K and desperately wanting a GS invite! )

Safe Travels!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #24
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
LOL... you either have never travelled for work, or exclusively fly private. I would envy both at this point.

For real... there are different modes where I choose different carry-ons. I've done around the world (15+ destinations) trips in a week or so where I've only carried-on and also will do day domestics or day stops in London where I just take a briefcase. Even then, it's a soft bag. Always a soft bag.

I see the modes as
1- Carry-on only; single day (easy)
2- Carry-on only; multiday
3- Checking; carry-on for work/back-up suit

mode 2 takes the most practice and thought. The rest is easy. I used to go for the best luggage, but now I try to find functional and light bags that I don't mind replacing. Don't get me wrong, it's not the super cheap stuff - but, functional, LIGHT and slick (bc it's gotta look decent if in the back of a meeting room and also survive extreme abuse...)

(I'm *G, 1K and desperately wanting a GS invite! )

Safe Travels!

Which bags do you use?

What's GS?
      08-29-2011, 07:17 PM   #25
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
Which bags do you use?

What's GS?

I took one of my High Sierra bags to Moscow last week. It worked well, larger than I needed but the wheels were welcome. I also will use a small Dockers brand handbag for this week (spending a night each in Chicago, Warsaw and DC. The High Sierra will fit in the center overheads on most modernly configged B767, B777, A330, A340 and A380 aircraft. Just be a weasel and then have them gate check it for connections.

GS = UA Global Services. Invitation only (usually based on revenue generation or ability to influence flight decisions for your whole large company). I think there's purported to be about 10k-18k reserved spots.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #26
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Quote:
I took one of my High Sierra bags to Moscow last week. It worked well, larger than I needed but the wheels were welcome. I also will use a small Dockers brand handbag for this week (spending a night each in Chicago, Warsaw and DC. The High Sierra will fit in the center overheads on most modernly configged B767, B777, A330, A340 and A380 aircraft. Just be a weasel and then have them gate check it for connections.

GS = UA Global Services. Invitation only (usually based on revenue generation or ability to influence flight decisions for your whole large company). I think there's purported to be about 10k-18k reserved spots.
GS is based upon your corp UA sales rep making a good case for why you deserve to be part of the program. I only know of one or two GS folks that have done it on flights alone and these are 400k+ annual flyers all full fare first class.

American offers a similar program, which after I was invited, I discovered was predicated by $100k in flight revenue , 60% or more in Y class, and at least 6 countries visited.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #27
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

since this seems to be the bags thread, anybody got any good ideas for a good (well padded) and stylish laptop backpack?

also all this talk of high-class flying is making me extremely jealous
      08-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #28
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk View Post
GS is based upon your corp UA sales rep making a good case for why you deserve to be part of the program. I only know of one or two GS folks that have done it on flights alone and these are 400k annual flyers all full fare first class.

American offers a similar program, which after I was invited, I discovered was predicated by $100k in flight revenue , 60% or more in Y class, and at least 6 countries visited.
Lol looks like I'll never make CK. My cheap ass is always finding cheapest routings and UG's for all my travel. One MR short of EXP right now. I've maybe spent $5k on airfare this year, with maybe 90% success with UG's/EVIPs.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #29
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
since this seems to be the bags thread, anybody got any good ideas for a good (well padded) and stylish laptop backpack?

also all this talk of high-class flying is making me extremely jealous
This backpack is great if you also want to bring a DSLR or equivalent with you in addition to a laptop. It hides the DLSR in the bottom portion so no one knows that it's full of camera equipment.

I've taken it all over the world and it still looks new.

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-DR-467.../dp/B000VW6KXS
      08-29-2011, 09:14 PM   #30
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
LOL I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about. I've never traveled for work but I do travel a lot and use some Samsonite stuff that's at least twice as old as me.
      08-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #31
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
LOL I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about. I've never traveled for work but I do travel a lot and use some Samsonite stuff that's at least twice as old as me.
haha... i understand. you should've just came back to this thread and bitchslapped me and been like, "I only fly Cessna Citation Xs... until my custom MRJ gets built." But, then you must really love the 3er! ha
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:43 PM   #32
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

Quote:
This backpack is great if you also want to bring a DSLR or equivalent with you in addition to a laptop. It hides the DLSR in the bottom portion so no one knows that it's full of camera equipment.

thanks!

Quote:
haha... i understand. you should've just came back to this thread and bitchslapped me and been like, "I only fly Cessna Citation Xs... until my custom MRJ gets built." But, then you must really love the 3er! ha
I'd go with a Bombardier Global 8000, you know, being modest
      08-29-2011, 09:57 PM   #33
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

G650 for me please
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #34
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have that bag for my camera gear. It's awesome. Kata, makes some serious gear for photojournalists, oh yeah they make bullet proof vests as well..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #35
ScaredOnce
Very Important
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
thanks!

I'd go with a Bombardier Global 8000, you know, being modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
G650 for me please
It's awesome that we're joking about owning/operating our our aircraft... someday, I hope we all do! You better be at the next BizAv rally! http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...&channel=busav
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #36
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Lol looks like I'll never make CK. My cheap ass is always finding cheapest routings and UG's for all my travel. One MR short of EXP right now. I've maybe spent $5k on airfare this year, with maybe 90% success with UG's/EVIPs.
I used to keep my boarding passes a long time ago. found about a years worth in a box one day..

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #37
nightkhan
Private Woodman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i, JB, Space Rocket

try doing a search in this forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/
Current: E92 328i, Sports Package, 335i wheels, Power Seats, BMW Assist/Bluetooth, IPod/USB, heated seats, //M Short Shifter
Future Mods: 19" CSL's, KW V2, 15mm spacer, tints
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #38
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightkhan View Post
try doing a search in this forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-products-639/
Pretty sure most of us responding to this thread are FT'ers
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 12:05 AM   #39
mase
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

samsonite has this sweet garment bag that can fit in overhead. It's spacious and looks like it won't fit, so a lot of people ask to make sure it fits in the metal cage thing, which it does. suits and shirts come out with minimal wrinkles
Appreciate 0