E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > e90 6spd tranny r&r

05-03-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
06325sportsedan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 325i sedan sport package

e90 6spd tranny r&r

recently lost 2nd gear in my 06 325i going to pull the tranny myself i printed some info about it off all data it says that the transmission bell housing bolts r aluminum/magnesium and have to be replaced. also says exhaust has to come off no big deal anyone have any experience with tranny R&R with the e90 any help would be greatly appreciated im trying to get a parts list together b4 i start on the project to get a good idea of how much cash im guna have to get together thanx
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I'd love to see pics of the work you're doing. Do you have to return the old tranny? Or are you gonna keep it?
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

I haven't done the E90, but I have done other 3-series and they are all the same basic procedure. You'll need to pull the exhaust, heat shields, trans tunnel shield, drive shaft, and then the transmission.

You'll need a new set of bolts since the engine block is magneisum and aluminum bolts are used for any thing bolted to the block.

Not sure what miles you have on the car, but you might as well install a new clutch while you're in there and possibly a new rear crank seal (this means r&r the flywheel and you'll need those bolts too).

Get the Bentley service manual too just for another reference source.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

I wonder if there're any aftermarket trannies available for the N52, something for track use. I know sequential units can be costly, but a regular h-patteren would still be fun. I guess you coins throw anything in there that fits. It all a matter of getting adapters for the bell housing and mounts.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
06325sportsedan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

im actually going to fix the current tranny im guna put a second gear kit in and possibly a shift fork but im a little worried about the countershaft gear cause most countershafts r a solid peice and have to be repaced as a whole assembly which is going to be costly well see how it all looks when i get it apart ill try to remember to take pics of the process the car has 79,000 miles on it and the clutch feels really strong so im not guna mess with it trying to do this as cheap as possible thanx for all ur imput guys ill be starting on it next weekend
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
06325sportsedan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

all data says you r supposed to tighten the aluminum bolts with an torque angle measuring dial is that neccassary or can i use aluminum locktite and tight is tight
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #7
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Locktite will usually hold under any circumstances. I've used it at work on big water pumps and when it comes time to service them again i kick my self in the ass bc i cant get the bolts off bc of the locktite. I usually have to heat them to get it lose. So you should be good
      05-07-2011, 10:58 PM   #8
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

the bolts must be replaced and angle torqued...dont be stupid and half ass a repair...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 03:01 AM   #9
06325sportsedan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkswackin View Post
the bolts must be replaced and angle torqued...dont be stupid and half ass a repair...
i dont see how fixing whats broken is "half ass" i already planned on replacing the bell housing to block bolts but i dont have a torque angle dial was just wondering if there was a way around purchasing a tool im sure guestamating angle and using aluminum locktite will be just fine just cause im not doing it the exact perfect way doesnt mean its not guna be right or half ass
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #10
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06325sportsedan View Post
im actually going to fix the current tranny im guna put a second gear kit in and possibly a shift fork but im a little worried about the countershaft gear cause most countershafts r a solid peice and have to be repaced as a whole assembly which is going to be costly well see how it all looks when i get it apart ill try to remember to take pics of the process the car has 79,000 miles on it and the clutch feels really strong so im not guna mess with it trying to do this as cheap as possible thanx for all ur imput guys ill be starting on it next weekend
Just Curious, where are you getting the internal trans parts from? BTW angle torque dials are like $20. Why wouldn't you just buy a tool. If you are into repairing cars at the level of disassembling transmissions, why not jut add the tool to your tool set. The replacement bolt set is more cost than the tool.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #11
06325sportsedan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Just Curious, where are you getting the internal trans parts from? BTW angle torque dials are like $20. Why wouldn't you just buy a tool. If you are into repairing cars at the level of disassembling transmissions, why not jut add the tool to your tool set. The replacement bolt set is more cost than the tool.
the only place ive found to get the internals from is the bmw dealer im sure im guna have to wait for parts i highly doubt theyll have what i need in stock. well as a mechanic its hard to justify buying a tool ill only use once. ive been turning wrenches and doin a lot of fabrication work for the past 7 yrs so i have a really good feel for angles and torque specs. not using and angle dial on the tranny bolts would be a lot like not torqueing an alternator bolt, ya ur supposed to do it but its really not necassary tight is tight
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
ejheverest
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i

Can't wait to see the updates on this job!!
I'll have to post some photos up from one of our V-18 medium speed 4 stroke diesel generators that came apart while on the bus. Someone decided to ignore the 50 hr check after overhauling the engine, the connecting rod bolts loosened up and the rods and pistons went out the side of the block. Pictures are amazing, will post when I get back to my Mac next week.(we hydraulically stretch all conn. rod bolts, big end, main bearing, head bolts, etc.)