E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: 335i Exhaust Sound Mod. Better, and even easier than golf tee mod.

05-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #529
Lankster
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Hmm well then have you tried plugging it back in and seeing if the light stays on? If its still on I would imagine its not the actuator. Interesting tho
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #530
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrazie1 View Post
It is possible that it could be a conicidence. I mean 500 miles is a while. I would imagine it would have triggered the SES sooner. I scanned with my Bav Tech and I had no engine fault codes or shadow fault codes. I short tested all modules and had no codes related to the engine. Cleared all other misc codes (radio, rain sensor, bluetooth, etc...) and reset the ECU. I drove the car for 25 miles and the SES light is still on. Not sure how to clear it. I just don't undertsand why Bav Tech is not picking up a code for the SES......

OK, it was a coincidence. I updated my bav tech software and re-scanned and i got a code for my thermostat. I also got a code for the exhuast flapper but it doesn't cause an SES.
      05-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #531
m603
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: avoiding pot holes

if it does through a code, will it go away if i plugged it back in?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #532
m603
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: avoiding pot holes

had ANYONE had any problems (besides code error) since they did this mod?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #533
spindiesel
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp X drive

will this work on a 2011 335D???
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #534
dilankk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E93 AW/CR

I've been running this for a while also. No issues other than the code it throws. I can disable it from my JB4 but when I go into stock bypass (map.0) the flap re-enables itself. So I've left it unplugged in the trunk.. super easy.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #535
Blackhawk55
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is Convertible

I've seen other E93 convertible owners wonder if they have the same accuator as the OP. Me too. I found the little door in the trunk but the "innards" don't look like the original picture and the accuator thingie doesn't jump out at me. Anyone else get further? Sorry for the lousy iPad photo:

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #536
335alive
i accidentally the verb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ

if you have half a brain, DO NOT do this high-school-quality "mod" to your expensive and finicky car.

i am running a JB3 2.0 in my car, plus intakes. that's it. my exhaust flap was noticeably loud and shitty-sounding at cold start, and i had to wait 3+ minutes after start-up to drive away as there was a nasty-sounding metallic rattle until the flap opened. have even had a few people ask me what it was. so, having done this mod to my '07 with seemingly no problems (we'll get into that later), i got sick of this horrible sound on my beautiful car, and unplugged it.

less than 2 days later (keep in mind my car only has 55k km on it), i am driving along when i get the dreaded "limp mode" light. i quickly pulled over, turned the car off, sat for 5 minutes, and started it again. waited 5 more minutes, drove away, and got to my destination without further incident. it happened once more a few days later. same exact sequence of events.

THEN, i'm driving home a few days ago, and the light comes on again. that's 3 times within a week that my limp mode light has come on, after never coming on once before in EITHER of my cars, and all within the week AFTER unplugging my exhaust flap, but this hadn't dawned on me yet. i do the usual pull over, turn car off, wait 5, start up, wait 5, drive away. literally less than 20 minutes later, it happens again...this is the first time it happened more than once in a day, but THIS time...the Check Engine Light (CEL) came on too. i pulled over and started freaking out, when it dawned on me...in a flash, i was out of the car, digging around behind my tail-light at the side of the road at 2am, trying to plug the damn thing back in.

i plugged it back in, started the car, waited 5 minutes, and drove away. got home without any more limp-mode lights, but the CEL was still on so i'm fuming. start the car the next morning to go to work, CEL still on but not a single limp-mode light during my 40+ minute drive. mid-day, go out to my car to go get lunch, start the car...and much to my delight, the CEL turned off all by itself! i did a little dance and patted myself on the back, and neither the CEL nor the limp-mode warning has presented itself ONCE since then.

i'm not exactly sure why this all happened. i had the flap unplugged in my last car, an '07, with the same mods done to the car, as well as a resonator delete on that one. the CEL came on in that car right before i traded it in, but i never thought to try plugging the flap back in as a fix. but it sure as hell worked on my '08!

i don't know if it was a case of my JB3 chip interfering or miscommunicating with something, as i've heard guys with stock cars running this "mod" for years without any problems, but i will NEVER even consider unplugging that thing ever again after my experience, no matter how shitty the metallic rattle may sound at start-up.

take my story as you will. but keep in mind that it's not the smartest idea to go around unplugging sensors on a electronic masterpiece like a BMW. that flap was put there for a reason and unplugging it, as you can see from my example, could have dire consequences.
'08 E90 335i 6MT - SOLD
'13 BRZ SportTech 6MT - current

Last edited by 335alive; 06-25-2012 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #537
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335alive View Post
i am running a JB3 2.0 in my car, plus intakes...
Did you ever scan the car and see what codes were thrown? I know people say unplugging the actuator is "not supposed" to throw a light, but will cause a hidden code (hidden code is true b/c the tech was able to see it whereas I couldn't). I experienced code issues when trying both the golf tee mod and unplugging the actuator. I eventually plugged it back up but then removed my muffler (so, the sensor is plugged in but there are no flaps to control since there's no muffler). I still got the same codes. I, too, was running a JB3 2.0 chip and this past weekend pulled it out for an upgrade. After several spirited runs just to see the difference w/o the tune (have never driven the car w/o it), so far (2.5 days/50+mi later) the only code I have is the cat (expected that one). However, I'm not entirely sure if unplugging the actuator would cause a limp mode (I'm assuming you were referring to the 1/2 engine light). Where there any other signs (misfire, shudders, etc) when you went into limp mode? Also, you don't need to wait 5mins here and there when getting this light. Just turn the car off (even at a stop light) and turn it back on - the 1/2 engine light will go away but a code may still be present.

Saying all of this, it may be an issue w/the JB3 2.0 firmware being outdated and either due for an update (if there is one) or time to upgrade to JB4. I'm not exactly sure if unplugging the actuator was the actual culprit or if it was the outdated tune that was causing the codes. If these codes don't come back by the time my JB4 arrives, I'll have to say it was the outdated tune that caused the codes - in my case. I'll be scanning the car once in a while until the tune comes back to see if anything changes, and if so, will post.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #538
raceyBMW
king of the hills
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 w/ESS55, 2001 540i/6

Garage List
2001 BMW 540i/6  [8.17]
1994 530i  [9.00]
2007 335i Coupe  [8.37]
Quote:
if you have half a brain, DO NOT do this high-school-quality "mod" to your expensive and finicky car.

i am running a JB3 2.0 in my car, plus intakes. that's it. my exhaust flap was noticeably loud and shitty-sounding at cold start, and i had to wait 3+ minutes after start-up to drive away as there was a nasty-sounding metallic rattle until the flap opened. have even had a few people ask me what it was. so, having done this mod to my '07 with seemingly no problems (we'll get into that later), i got sick of this horrible sound on my beautiful car, and unplugged it.

less than 2 days later (keep in mind my car only has 55k km on it), i am driving along when i get the dreaded "limp mode" light. i quickly pulled over, turned the car off, sat for 5 minutes, and started it again. waited 5 more minutes, drove away, and got to my destination without further incident. it happened once more a few days later. same exact sequence of events.

THEN, i'm driving home a few days ago, and the light comes on again. that's 3 times within a week that my limp mode light has come on, after never coming on once before in EITHER of my cars, and all within the week AFTER unplugging my exhaust flap, but this hadn't dawned on me yet. i do the usual pull over, turn car off, wait 5, start up, wait 5, drive away. literally less than 20 minutes later, it happens again...this is the first time it happened more than once in a day, but THIS time...the Check Engine Light (CEL) came on too. i pulled over and started freaking out, when it dawned on me...in a flash, i was out of the car, digging around behind my tail-light at the side of the road at 2am, trying to plug the damn thing back in.

i plugged it back in, started the car, waited 5 minutes, and drove away. got home without any more limp-mode lights, but the CEL was still on so i'm fuming. start the car the next morning to go to work, CEL still on but not a single limp-mode light during my 40+ minute drive. mid-day, go out to my car to go get lunch, start the car...and much to my delight, the CEL turned off all by itself! i did a little dance and patted myself on the back, and neither the CEL nor the limp-mode warning has presented itself ONCE since then.

i'm not exactly sure why this all happened. i had the flap unplugged in my last car, an '07, with the same mods done to the car, as well as a resonator delete on that one. the CEL came on in that car right before i traded it in, but i never thought to try plugging the flap back in as a fix. but it sure as hell worked on my '08!

i don't know if it was a case of my JB3 chip interfering or miscommunicating with something, as i've heard guys with stock cars running this "mod" for years without any problems, but i will NEVER even consider unplugging that thing ever again after my experience, no matter how shitty the metallic rattle may sound at start-up.

take my story as you will. but keep in mind that it's not the smartest idea to go around unplugging sensors on a electronic masterpiece like a BMW. that flap was put there for a reason and unplugging it, as you can see from my example, could have dire consequences.
LOL, Dude I have ran this mod unplugged for the last 4-5 years and never ever had an issue. The metallic rattle sound is your turbo wastegates rattling, has nothing to do with the "golf tee" mod. I would bet your codes and CEL also have nothing to do with this mod. Think about it, the thing gets unplugged anyway with any aftermarket exhaust, and they have no issues.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 02:51 AM   #539
335alive
i accidentally the verb
Canada
Rep

doesn't matter, dude. it's hard to argue with the evidence. i unplug it, it starts acting up. check engine light comes on. four 1/2 engine lights within a week. plug it back in, it stops acting up. check engine light goes away. not a single 1/2 engine light since.

it's very obviously connected, at least in my case, and no-one can convince me otherwise. granted, maybe mine is a one-off case, but i'll personally never be unplugging that thing again.

and the rattling is not my wastegates. it comes from the exhaust tip on the left side, where the flap is, when cold started, and goes away completely once the flap opens. my last car ('07) had the rattling wastegates so i know exactly what that sounds like, and it's completely different, not to mention constant.
'08 E90 335i 6MT - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #540
itchycow89
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

thanks for the quick DIY!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #541
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRLPWR View Post
Saying all of this, it may be an issue w/the JB3 2.0 firmware being outdated and either due for an update (if there is one) or time to upgrade to JB4. I'm not exactly sure if unplugging the actuator was the actual culprit or if it was the outdated tune that was causing the codes. If these codes don't come back by the time my JB4 arrives, I'll have to say it was the outdated tune that caused the codes - in my case. I'll be scanning the car once in a while until the tune comes back to see if anything changes, and if so, will post.
Update: Day 4 w/o tune.....still only codes are cat-related. I'm really beginning to think the outdated tune was throwing the lean codes I initially thought were coming from unplugging the actuator. Coincidence or not, just my experience.

Update to my update (7/2) - installed JB4 Saturday, set map, did a few spirited runs to create a data log, sent it off to Terry and he came back w/a thumbs-up. This morning, my SES light was off which indicated the DPfix is back to work. And to date, since removing the JB3 2.0 chip 1 week ago, none of the reoccurring codes that I initially attributed to unplugging the actuator have returned. So, my conclusion is that I was in dire need of an upgrade and unplugging the actuator only caused the hidden code, which isn't a big deal.

@335alive - You could always try removing the tune, unplug the actuator, and see what happens. Either way, I would be curious as to what codes came up. I experienced this myself and did trial/error (mainly b/c I can't let things go until I get clarification and a full understanding of what happened and why).

Last edited by GRLPWR; 07-02-2012 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 04:15 AM   #542
vqdiablo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
Good info thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #543
335alive
i accidentally the verb
Canada
Rep

i was planning on swapping to JB4 soon anyways...this might just give me an extra little motivation lol.

thanks for the info!
'08 E90 335i 6MT - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #544
GRLPWR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
i was planning on swapping to JB4 soon anyways...this might just give me an extra little motivation lol.

thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #545
Puerto Rican 335d
Brigadier General
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335d

what about the DIESELS
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #546
_ink
Jedi samurai ninja turtle
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i 2018

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Did this and love it!!! Thanks for the tip!!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #547
Hotpockets
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i & 2008 E70 3.0

I've had this unplugged now for a week. No lights, gas mileage stayed the same. Couldn't really tell a difference the first day. But a she week went on, I could definitely tell the car is louder, but not obnoxious rice rocket loud. Thumbs up for this mod. Now for some Dimasi tips : )
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 10:41 PM   #548
jcannon86
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

love this mod! definitely sounds good at low rpm's
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #549
StevenY.
///M
United_States
Rep