E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Why did YOU chose 335d over 335i

11-18-2007, 12:48 PM   #89
Terza
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_3 View Post
Au contraire .....

Here is mine starting up after sitting out all day in the frost.

Clatter ?

D.
I'm really pleased with the sound of my 335d, and everyone I've driven likes the sound too, but on idle there is a clatter.. Very noticeable from outside of the car..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #90
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMWard View Post
That really is an unbelievable and quite inaccurate statement.

Personally I like quiet cars, where I can hardly hear a thing.

Regards

Chris
Sorry Chris .. I'm not trying to upset anyone.

I think what I said was very accurate.

At idle in the 335d, there is a distinct diesel chatter. It's not loud or intrusive, but it's there and it does sound as if a diesel vehicle has pulled up next to you.

Once in motion the engine is extremely quiet, unless you press on when it gives quite a pleasing and powerful roar.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound as sporting (to my ears) as a petrol straight six at any point.

Last edited by NFS; 11-18-2007 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 12:51 PM   #91
Terza
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post

At idle in the 335d, there is a distinct diesel chatter. It's not load or intrusive, but it's there and it does sound as if a diesel vehicle has pulled up next to you.

Once in motion the engine is extremely quiet, unless you press on when it gives quite a pleasing and powerful roar.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound as sporting (to my ears) as a petrol straight six at any point.
I agree.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #92
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:04 PM   #93
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

I agree too, but when that straight six has just been blown away by a diesel, who cares?!?

BMW straight sixes are a hard noise to beat, and thats the only thing I miss about my car, but it has so many other plus's it more than makes up for it.

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #94
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
I agree too, but when that straight six has just been blown away by a diesel, who cares?!?

BMW straight sixes are a hard noise to beat, and thats the only thing I miss about my car, but it has so many other plus's it more than makes up for it.
Well to be honest I still care, which was why I bought a petrol engined car.

I accept that the 335d - especially a remapped one like yours - is a quicker car than my 330i in most situations on the road.

However, on the road - I usually run out of space before I run out of performance.

Personally I would choose petrol again because I want the fun of changing gear myself and listening to a nice noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #95
Oli
Campervan man
Rep
Drives: RS3 and VW Kombi

Quote:
I accept that the 335d - especially a remapped one like yours - is a quicker car than my 330i in most situations on the road.

I think you'll find its all situations, not most!!!, however mine does not howl or rev like yours

But yes on a serious note, it is so hard to use all performance on the cramped British roads today, and its good that we all have different opinions otherwise this forum would be empty......and we'd all agree on everthing - now that sounds boring

Genuine VW T5 California Rental
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #96
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
335D Pros = Economy ,Simply Enormous Torque, power and ease
335D Cons= that awful diesel noise

335I Pros = simply enormous power, awesome sound
335I Cons = brutal economy
you must inform at once why you have a picture of MY M3 as your avatar
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #97
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
you must inform at once why you have a picture of MY M3 as your avatar
Squeezey, I am sorry to break it to you but E92 M3s are 2 a penny now.
      11-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #98
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Squeezey, I am sorry to break it to you but E92 M3s are 2 a penny now.
No,no,no,no,no,no,no, and no (nearly got an AMV8 today)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #99
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No,no,no,no,no,no,no, and no (nearly got an AMV8 today)
My big decision today was should I have desert with my pub lunch. Your daty sounds far more exciting, spill the beans on the Aston. What, where, how, why, whynot......
      11-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #100
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
My big decision today was should I have desert with my pub lunch. Your daty sounds far more exciting, spill the beans on the Aston. What, where, how, why, whynot......
+1 - you've not even got your M3 yet Squeezy - are you really thinking of something else? Good choice if you go for an AMV8 though!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #101
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Gibs,as you may know i am going thru a really crappy divorce etc and have decided to change from a 335d to an M as i just love them,i have always been a complete car nut and have now gone from owning 3 houses (only one paid for) and running a nice little business with a nice life to being on my jacks with too much time on my hands and skint (or i will be when 'er indoors gets her pay off. i'm 36 and life at the mo' sucks so its only the thought of new toys that keeps me going

anyway,been out with the old fella looking for bathroom tiles today,soon got fed up with that so went to the AM shop instead.The showroom and ambiance can sell these cars on there own and with the old man being nuts on cars all was well in the world

as it works out i have had to have my M on the never never and have always promised myself i would have an Aston by the age of 40 (still got 4 yrs left)

for a V8 it 'aint that much more per month!!!

Decided to wait ...........have the M and get the AM V8s/r when it arrives
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #102
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Gibs,as you may know i am going thru a really crappy divorce etc and have decided to change from a 335d to an M as i just love them,i have always been a complete car nut and have now gone from owning 3 houses (only one paid for) and running a nice little business with a nice life to being on my jacks with too much time on my hands and skint (or i will be when 'er indoors gets her pay off. i'm 36 and life at the mo' sucks so its only the thought of new toys that keeps me going

anyway,been out with the old fella looking for bathroom tiles today,soon got fed up with that so went to the AM shop instead.The showroom and ambiance can sell these cars on there own and with the old man being nuts on cars all was well in the world

as it works out i have had to have my M on the never never and have always promised myself i would have an Aston by the age of 40 (still got 4 yrs left)

for a V8 it 'aint that much more per month!!!

Decided to wait ...........have the M and get the AM V8s/r when it arrives
I had read about your Divorce earlier you have my sympothy and I guess as we are car people it's comfort food (like my profitarole desert today) to do something nice for moi.

I was joking on the M3 mate, I saw an Interlargos Blue one today and think the new M looks fab, I also heard one booting it from the lights last weekend and again

Trust me when you arrive at the dealer to pick up your new car you will not think you have made the wrong choice. The M3 is equal to an Aston Martin V8 no problems bar exclusivity (and even that is changing nowadays).

Have you sold your 335d yet and when do you get your new M3?

I am sure 2008 will be your year.
      11-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #103
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
I don't hear a clatter in the d inside. With the doors/windows open / outside you can, definitely. I thought it would bother me a lot more than it does.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #104
ChrisMWard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 320d M Sport, E81 116d SE

Garage List
2006 120d SE  [0.00]
2007 335d A M Sport  [0.00]
1998 M3 Evo  [0.00]
2002 330d Sport  [0.00]
2004 330d Sport  [0.00]
Quote:

At idle in the 335d, there is a distinct diesel chatter. It's not loud or intrusive, but it's there and it does sound as if a diesel vehicle has pulled up next to you.

There's no questioning the fact it's a diesel, but a Transit it most certainley is not. Most of my neighbours have had to be told the 335 is a diesel, where as the 120d is much more noticeable.

Upset I am not

Regards

Chris
Previously: 2007 335D MSport E90 Le Mans Blue, 2004 330D A Sport Silver Grey, 2002 330D A Sport Saphire Black, 2001 320D SE Touring Titanium Silver, 1998 M3 Evo Techno Violet, 1996 328i Sport Montreal Blue, 1994 325i Coupe Red, 1989 325i Sport 2 door Dolphin Grey,1986 325i SE 4 door Lachs
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #105
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I had read about your Divorce earlier you have my sympothy and I guess as we are car people it's comfort food (like my profitarole desert today) to do something nice for moi.

I was joking on the M3 mate, I saw an Interlargos Blue one today and think the new M looks fab, I also heard one booting it from the lights last weekend and again

Trust me when you arrive at the dealer to pick up your new car you will not think you have made the wrong choice. The M3 is equal to an Aston Martin V8 no problems bar exclusivity (and even that is changing nowadays).

Have you sold your 335d yet and when do you get your new M3?

I am sure 2008 will be your year.

335d gone this week:sad0147: to be honest the 335d is all the car you EVER need IMO, the M "should" be here 1st week in Dec

the M is performance wise too much for the AM looks different league
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #106
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliH View Post
I think you'll find its all situations, not most!!!, however mine does not howl or rev like yours
OK maybe almost all situations ...

There must be an exception, but I can't quite think of one at the moment :sad0147:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMWard View Post
There's no questioning the fact it's a diesel, but a Transit it most certainley is not. Most of my neighbours have had to be told the 335 is a diesel, where as the 120d is much more noticeable.

Upset I am not

Regards

Chris
It's far from a transit. My point was simply that the sound is like a diesel pulling alongside a well soundproofed car. The fact that you don't hear the engine when pulling off adds to the illusion.

Glad I haven't upset you Chris .. you are the official gentleman of the forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
I don't hear a clatter in the d inside. With the doors/windows open / outside you can, definitely. I thought it would bother me a lot more than it does.
I drove SiBurts the other day and the clatter is there at idle .. it's not bad or intrusive, but it's there.

In contrast, I find myself blipping the thottle on the 330i for no apparent reason, and winding the window down to listen to it

Sad I know, but I like it
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 02:10 AM   #107
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Perhaps SiBurt should get his looked at or you have very sensitive hearing then . Actually I have to think hard but I probably have noticed it reversing out of the garage but as I don't often find myself at idle or in traffic I really do have to think about it to recall.

The d has a nice roar as opposed to a wail when you put your foot down and it feels like you are going to take off (to quote my wife from yesterday). I haven't driven one so I don't know but I wonder if you'd get that same sensation in a 330i or 335i.

Winding down the window to listen to the engine, particularly at this time of year isn't something I'm going to worry about.

Haven't we done the i vs d thing to death now?! Not just in this thread.

I don't miss revs and the sound of a petrol, the diesel seems so much more refined and stealthy but I do sometimes miss a manual and there's times when I seem to catch maybe turbo lag or a delay in gear change and get a kind of rubber band effect (I belive that is the term for it)... A delayed reaction. I'd like whichever car doesn't have that
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 02:53 AM   #108
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Perhaps SiBurt should get his looked at or you have very sensitive hearing then . Actually I have to think hard but I probably have noticed it reversing out of the garage but as I don't often find myself at idle or in traffic I really do have to think about it to recall.

The d has a nice roar as opposed to a wail when you put your foot down and it feels like you are going to take off (to quote my wife from yesterday). I haven't driven one so I don't know but I wonder if you'd get that same sensation in a 330i or 335i.

Winding down the window to listen to the engine, particularly at this time of year isn't something I'm going to worry about.

Haven't we done the i vs d thing to death now?! Not just in this thread.

I don't miss revs and the sound of a petrol, the diesel seems so much more refined and stealthy but I do sometimes miss a manual and there's times when I seem to catch maybe turbo lag or a delay in gear change and get a kind of rubber band effect (I belive that is the term for it)... A delayed reaction. I'd like whichever car doesn't have that
There is nothing wrong with his car or my hearing .. it's just that people get used to certain things.

Since I drive my 330i every day of the week I'm used to it's particular sound and stepping into a 335d the very first thing I noticed on starting the engine was a distinctive diesel clatter.

If you are used to the d you will hardly notice it, it's not intrusive or unpleasant, but it's absolutely there.

Under load the 'd' sounds much better, initally extremely quiet then followed by a quite nice meaty roar.

I'd say that the 'd' is less refined at higher rpm than the petrol cars, but at low rpm it's eerily silent (too silent for me) in comparison. Overal I would put them equal for refinement.

The petrol engine is possibly a little too quiet at very low revs (I'd like to hear the deep idle a bit more as you do in a porsche), but it comes alive beautifully over 4000rpm.

The petrols performance is every bit as powerful as the diesels. It just arrives differently. It's very linear in that the power steadily increases with rpm, although there is a big surge at 4000rpm almost like a VTEC moment.

The rush from 4000-7000rpm is every bit as dramatic as anything a diesel car can achieve.

The manual gearbox is my sticking point though. I could live with the lack of aural drama of the 335d, because it's so good in other ways, but I would really miss a manual box.

Last edited by NFS; 11-19-2007 at 03:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 03:30 AM   #109
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Sorry - the hearing/SiBurt's car was mostly tongue in cheek, hence the smiley - although I'm surprised you can be certain his car isn't louder than any other, do they all idle identically ?

In terms of less refined at higher RPM - Does the D ever get to high RPM?! Only if you push it in S mode. I've never really got on with S mode, it seems to lurch around a bit and I think I read somewhere that it doesn't make a big deal of difference in, say, 0-60 times. I think I've had my car over about 4000 rpm (at which it still sounds great) a handful of times if that. The d does have aural drama, it is just different. I'm not sure having experienced it I could live with what I'd expect would be a relative (and I stress relative) lack of torquey urgency/surge at speed compared to d.

I'd imagine in motorway cruising the i is a lot noisier (relatively) as I suspect it will be sat at higher revs than the D at the same speed. It depends on how/where you drive I guess.

I'm just not convinced that the benefits of the i for the time in which you enjoy them would outweigh the d. If you are hooning around nice roads regularly then maybe but if you are sat on a motorway I can't imagine you are winding down the window and the silence and refinement and ease and increased acceleration at those speeds of the d would surely win over? Horses for courses, and I guess if say for arguments sake 5% of the time you spend in the car it sounds great (i.e. noticably, with the window down) you have to decide if that is worth forfeiting the other aspects - that's why they have two models. By rights I should probably have an i for the driving I do but probably fairly uniquely one of my big reasons for getting the d was the lack of a significant delay in getting the car. I do like what seems like months between refuelling though although economy wasn't a big concern - I resent chucking 50 quid into a car on a regular basis as it is and I do low mileage and have a diesel.

I'm undecided about gearbox. It seems a bit slushy sometimes but others I'm glad of being able to sit there and keep two hands on the wheel and cruise along.

I'd like the best of both worlds but I don't think it currently exists.

But really, haven't we done d vs i to death?

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2007, 03:41 AM   #110
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
S mode, is that where i push it to the left and use the paddles? i do that all the blinkin time!