E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Scratch damage help

11-17-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Scratch damage help

Folks

Having a bad run with the current motor (Mark V Golf GTI). As my new E92 is scheduled to arrive on 1 March I plan to put the Golf up for sale shortly. Unfortunately 2 weeks ago tyre fitters badly scratched my two front alloys (and deny any knowledge/responsibility).

Now some ASBO wannabe has put a scratch along the back (about 3 feet ). It does not look too deep but I need to sort it before selling the car. Any tips on a good polish before I have to call ChipsAway?

Cheers

Snooky
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Is the scratch deep? I'm guessing it would only polish out if its pretty minor, but if its a case of disguising it, try the colour match polish that I think Turtle wax do? What colour is the Golf?
      11-17-2007, 04:27 PM   #3
Snooky
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Is the scratch deep? I'm guessing it would only polish out if its pretty minor, but if its a case of disguising it, try the colour match polish that I think Turtle wax do? What colour is the Golf?
Scratch doesn't look too deep (maybe wishful thinking on my part!). The golf is metallic black - I may actually have some black turtle wax in the garage from when I had a little black Puma many moons ago. Worth a try - cheers Z4
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 04:30 PM   #4
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
I too had a panther black Puma back in 2000 (X plate). Great car with the 1.7 zetec engine, but said I would never buy another black car after that! Good luck in getting the scratch fixed.
      11-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Snooky
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
I too had a panther black Puma back in 2000 (X plate). Great car with the 1.7 zetec engine, but said I would never buy another black car after that! Good luck in getting the scratch fixed.
It was a cracking car. Really good fun in a point'n'shoot kind of way! I have had 2 more black cars since and am finally shifting to SG on my new BMW
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Hi Snooky, sorry to hear about the abuse inflicted on your car by some worthless scum

I can recommend the turtle wax colour match range for disguising even quite deep scratches/stone chips. The wax pen that comes with the bottle of polish, will after various 'pass overs' fill the surface. The polish then blends it in a bit more. A cheap alternative, especially if you're selling the car. Obviously too deep it 'aint going to work I'm afraid & it will be chipsaway. A girlfriend at work used them & they really did a good job on her car if that's any help.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Hi Snooky, sorry to hear about the abuse inflicted on your car by some worthless scum

I can recommend the turtle wax colour match range for disguising even quite deep scratches/stone chips. The wax pen that comes with the bottle of polish, will after various 'pass overs' fill the surface. The polish then blends it in a bit more. A cheap alternative, especially if you're selling the car. Obviously too deep it 'aint going to work I'm afraid & it will be chipsaway. A girlfriend at work used them & they really did a good job on her car if that's any help.
Sounds like it's a job for a pro. Chips away, etc vary from person to person so hence a recomendation is the way to go if possible. I think it's one of those times that if you don't know what you are doing you may regret having a go yourself and cost more in the long run.
      11-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
kings UK
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 Coupe Jet Black 07

if the scratchis only in the clearkote and not all the way through then I would advise getting some farecla g3 or g6 or 3m fast cut plus from a motor factors rubbing a small amount over the area till the compound diminishes then polish with something like auto glym super resin polish or one of the other branded polishes.

I seriously would worrk about scratches unless they goto bear metal you can normally wither remove them or hide them to a very good degree...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2007, 03:59 AM   #9
Snooky
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Sounds like it's a job for a pro. Chips away, etc vary from person to person so hence a recomendation is the way to go if possible. I think it's one of those times that if you don't know what you are doing you may regret having a go yourself and cost more in the long run.
Thanks Gibbo. I have had to use ChipsAway once before on a previous car and the guy did a brilliant job so I know where to go if my DIY effort does not do the job.

Thanks to all for the advice. Cheers.
Appreciate 0