E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Bizarre Radio Problem '06 330i

12-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Broon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Monaco Blue BMW 330i

Bizarre Radio Problem '06 330i

Okay, I had an interesting problem arise today. I had not driven my 330i for a bout a week since its rear-wheel and no good in the snow here (Spokane, WA). So I put in the key today and the radio comes on. However, it sounds like its in Mono and coming from only one small speaker in front of me on the dash. I try to shut it off using the steering wheel button I assigned. I tried the button on the radio console by where the CD and DVD players are. I tried to change the volume and nothing happens.

THEN... I press the button to "unmute" the radio and sure enough the little circle-slash/speaker icon disappears and I can turn the volume up. THIS sound does come from the main speakers and in stereo. I turn it down and the mono radio sound can be heard again.

Here is the thing... The radio is output to two different places - 1. Normal output in stereo through the speakers/sub, etc. as normal with controls responding.

2. The radio also comes out of a speaker on the dash in front of the steering wheel, in MONO and without any controls responding.
I called the BWM folks and they had never heard of this. I tried shutting the car off but this changes nothing.

When I leave the car, with the key and everything else OFF, it just keeps on playing. Very weird.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Best regards,

Jim K.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #2
TaTaToothy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i and 2002 M3

I had a really really weird catastrophic failure of the stereo on my E90 - it also took out the Bluetooth and turn-signal clickers. Not the same symptoms as yours but equally mysterious. Turned out there was a misinstalled vapor barrier in the driver's door, so water got into the floor and caused a failure in the fiber optic cabling. God only knows what it cost to repair - fortunately it was under warranty. The entire service department at my dealer was flummoxed by it, and they had to call in the regional rep to figure it out.

2002 M3 - 6MT - Jet Black over black leather - Xenon, power seats and H/K - no sunroof
Appreciate 0