E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > What is that special tool dealers have to check brake?

09-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
dds02400
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

What is that special tool dealers have to check brake?

Just had my brake inspection 2 weeks ago, 9mm front and 6mm rear on the report. Then I realize my wheel lock key is not in the trunk... I called dealer... The technician claims that the key wasn\'t there so he measured the pad without taking wheels off. Is that possible ? Or they have a special tool?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
hurricane56
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Maybe they have a set of measurement calipers with extra long jaws?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:07 PM   #3
dds02400
Second Lieutenant
Rep

obviously they are saying they didn't lose my wheel lock key. I am just upset they didn't document that on my service report that "Tech wants to remove wheels and couldn't find the wheel lock key in the trunk".
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
dds02400
Second Lieutenant
Rep

yes....the tech told me that....he opened the trunk and the wheel lock key wasn't there in the time of service.....well, i guess he "intended" to remove my wheels anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

I have seen the tool. it looks like a tire depth gauge. There is a whole in the shield on the calipers where it goes through. so no need to remove the wheels. Even the service advisors can do it.
      09-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
Blue Streak
Gunny
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i 6MT, 2016 F10 535

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
Micrometer. It measures the rotor thickness.
2007 E90 335i 6MT, ZSP, Nav, PDC, CA, Montego Blue, Terra Dakota leather, CDV, clutch-stop, E46 M Shift Knob, Logic HVI, JB4 PnP, MS 3" downpipes, Koni Yellow adjustable sport shocks, RE 12mm(f)/BMS 15mm(r) spacers, Blacklines, LUX 5.0 LED halo ring lights, DAEOS (Vista) harness, GP Thunder 7500k fogs, 35% sides-20% rear tint, matt black kidney grill, matt black 335i trunk badge
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Streak View Post
Micrometer. It measures the rotor thickness.
We are talking about pad thicknes measurment not the rotor.
      09-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
JoosyJoos
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
They probably just glanced at your pads and said "ya those look alright".

Same strategy I use at the track after every session... but to answer your question they just use a basic caliper to measure the thickness of the pad and rotor normally.

1997 M3 Coupe - BMWCCA I-Prepared #22
2006 M Roadster - 23,000 miles and slowly counting
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

They don't just glance at them. They have tool that measures the pad thickness without pulling the wheels. They can do all four corners in about 2 minutes.
      09-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Ummm, the wear sensors report actual percentage of brake compound left on the pads. All they need to do is plug into the car computer.
      09-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
Shawangadonga
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

Here at BMW we do not just glance at the pads we use special tool # 34 1 260. It looks similar to a pen. We use an access port through the pad retainers or pad shields, we are then able to measure the actual thickness of the pad itself without pulling off all 4 wheels. The cluster measurements are only an estimate. It changes depending on your driving style.
Appreciate 1
mantis276.00
      09-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Ummm, the wear sensors report actual percentage of brake compound left on the pads. All they need to do is plug into the car computer.
Nope. The ware sensor is an on/off switch. Just 2 wires encased in plastic. Once you ware away the plastic, the wires will touch the rotor and complete the circuit. It is only installed on one wheel per axel. The ware indicator you see on your CBS is just an estimate based on pedal pressure and deceleration. I've had my ware sensor trigger well before the mileage reached.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #13
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Thanks for the clarification. I learn something new every day...
      09-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
dbjb
I sweat pheromones
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, retired SLK55

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Nope. The ware sensor is an on/off switch. Just 2 wires encased in plastic. Once you ware away the plastic, the wires will touch the rotor and complete the circuit. It is only installed on one wheel per axel. The ware indicator you see on your CBS is just an estimate based on pedal pressure and deceleration. I've had my ware sensor trigger well before the mileage reached.
Close. What actually happens is that the 2 wires connect to a hairpin. When that hairpin is worn away, the wires no longer connect and then trigger the replace signal. That is why some just tape the wires together vs buying a new sensor. If you know what to look for, the sensor is unnecessary.

You can check depth without taking the wheel off. There is a little tool that looks like a tire depth gauge tool. They probably used that between your spokes. Or, perhaps they had an extra wheel lock key in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #15
speedball73
Rep
Drives: 325i Silver (2006)

hate to be a jerk but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawangadonga View Post
Here at BMW we do not just glance at the pads we use special tool # 34 1 260. It looks similar to a pen. We use an access port through the pad retainers or pad shields, we are then able to measure the actual thickness of the pad itself without pulling off all 4 wheels. The cluster measurements are only an estimate. It changes depending on your driving style.
I'm not sure this (and the previous reply stating "they can do all four wheels in a few minutes") are accurate. I'm pretty sure that the access port used to measure the brake pad is the hole where the wear sensor is installed (wear sensors are installed in left front and right rear inside pads). So you can only use that measurement method for right front and left rear brake pads (at least on brake-sensor equipped models like e90).

The bentley manual procedure for the 3-series states that you measure brake pad depth on right front and left rear only.

If I'm wrong I'd love to know, find it quite annoying to measure brake pad depth without removing the caliper!

--speedball
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #16
SackOHammers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i Coupe E92 N54

I think people still don't know how the brake sensors work.
There are two "wear wires" in them.
When you put in a new wear sensor you should reset the brake wear mileage meter.
When the pad wears halfway through, it breaks the first wire. Then the car knows how many miles it took to wear through half your brakes. From there it tries to predict how many miles you have left on your brakes. Of course, it's entirely dependent on how fast or how slow you wore through the first half. But that's how you get your estimate for the second half of your pad.
And when the second wire finally breaks (regardless of estimate), you get the warning light in your dash that it's time to replace the pads.
2010 335i Coupe E92 N54. JB4, Burger dual cone air intakes, ER chargepipe with Turbosmart blow off valve, AMS intercooler, catless downpipes, Koni yellow shocks and struts with H&R springs. Stoptech rotors, pads, and lines, KMC691 bronze in 19" 35mm offset, Pilot Super Sports 235/35/8.5 and 265/30/9.5, LED angel eyes, EL interior accent lighting,Stereo (Helix DSP, Arc Amp, Jehnert subwoofers, Morel woofers and tweeters), Formula1 tint.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 10:28 PM   #17
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
I have seen the tool. it looks like a tire depth gauge. There is a whole in the shield on the calipers where it goes through. so no need to remove the wheels. Even the service advisors can do it.
depth mic its called
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #18
rich_mane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedball73 View Post
I'm not sure this (and the previous reply stating "they can do all four wheels in a few minutes") are accurate. I'm pretty sure that the access port used to measure the brake pad is the hole where the wear sensor is installed (wear sensors are installed in left front and right rear inside pads). So you can only use that measurement method for right front and left rear brake pads (at least on brake-sensor equipped models like e90).

The bentley manual procedure for the 3-series states that you measure brake pad depth on right front and left rear only.

If I'm wrong I'd love to know, find it quite annoying to measure brake pad depth without removing the caliper!

--speedball
http://www.samstagsales.com/bmw/bmw90886341260.jpg

There's a picture of the tool.

All four corners of the brake setup have the inspection holes in the metal retainer/clip and the pads themselves. It's very easy to measure the outside pad thickness with this tool, but the wear sensor is located on the inner pad.

If you trip the wear sensor you may still need to change the brakes, even if the outer pad is good you may be close to metal-on-metal contact with the inner pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackOHammers View Post
I think people still don't know how the brake sensors work.
There are two "wear wires" in them.
When you put in a new wear sensor you should reset the brake wear mileage meter.
When the pad wears halfway through, it breaks the first wire. Then the car knows how many miles it took to wear through half your brakes. From there it tries to predict how many miles you have left on your brakes. Of course, it's entirely dependent on how fast or how slow you wore through the first half. But that's how you get your estimate for the second half of your pad.
And when the second wire finally breaks (regardless of estimate), you get the warning light in your dash that it's time to replace the pads.
And sorry to burst your bubble, but this is wrong. The wear sensor never makes contact with the rotor until the pad is worn down enough to get there. Once the sensor starts rubbing with the rotor, the plastic casing is worn down and eventually breaks the metal connection inside, creating an open circuit in the wire, which is the indication that it's time to change the brakes. The mileage left prior to this happening is simply predicted up until that point.

Last edited by rich_mane; 10-04-2016 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #19
SackOHammers
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mane View Post
And sorry to burst your bubble, but this is wrong. The wear sensor never makes contact with the rotor until the pad is worn down enough to get there. Once the sensor starts rubbing with the rotor, the plastic casing is worn down and eventually breaks the metal connection inside, creating an open circuit in the wire, which is the indication that it's time to change the brakes. The mileage left prior to this happening is simply predicted up until that point.
Oh, you didn't burst my bubble. The principal behind what I said is all true. These are two-stage wear sensors. When the pads wear enough, the first stage is triggered. And your car knows how many miles went between the time you reset the meter and the time the first stage was triggered. It then estimates you have that many miles again until the second stage is triggered. The second stage is when the wire wears completely through and you get the warning light in your dash.

So, yes, there is no wearing or contact until the first stage is reached, but that's a minor point. Stage one is when the sensor starts to wear. Just know that if you ever reach first stage with your wear indicator, you put in new pads, and then you try to reset your meter, you'll get an SES light. So if you ever go through 50% wear (trigger the first stage), you need to get new wear sensors. Because you'll run into a foul if your stage 1 is triggered, but your mileage meter is reset.

None of this information is new. There are plenty of posts on how this works.
2010 335i Coupe E92 N54. JB4, Burger dual cone air intakes, ER chargepipe with Turbosmart blow off valve, AMS intercooler, catless downpipes, Koni yellow shocks and struts with H&R springs. Stoptech rotors, pads, and lines, KMC691 bronze in 19" 35mm offset, Pilot Super Sports 235/35/8.5 and 265/30/9.5, LED angel eyes, EL interior accent lighting,Stereo (Helix DSP, Arc Amp, Jehnert subwoofers, Morel woofers and tweeters), Formula1 tint.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2016, 11:03 PM   #20
rich_mane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackOHammers View Post
Oh, you didn't burst my bubble. The principal behind what I said is all true. These are two-stage wear sensors. When the pads wear enough, the first stage is triggered. And your car knows how many miles went between the time you reset the meter and the time the first stage was triggered. It then estimates you have that many miles again until the second stage is triggered. The second stage is when the wire wears completely through and you get the warning light in your dash.

So, yes, there is no wearing or contact until the first stage is reached, but that's a minor point. Stage one is when the sensor starts to wear. Just know that if you ever reach first stage with your wear indicator, you put in new pads, and then you try to reset your meter, you'll get an SES light. So if you ever go through 50% wear (trigger the first stage), you need to get new wear sensors. Because you'll run into a foul if your stage 1 is triggered, but your mileage meter is reset.

None of this information is new. There are plenty of posts on how this works.
Yeah you're definitely right about all of this.

To be honest I'm not even sure what part I was disagreeing with in your original post lol. I must have misread something because rereading it now, I'm really not even sure what point I was trying to make hahah so sorry about that.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2016, 11:59 AM   #21
SackOHammers
Private First Class
Rep

Well, to be fair to you, I was going on about there be two wires and there aren't.
As you said, there is no contact between the sensor and the rotor until the brake pad wears about half way down. Then the sensor starts making contact with the rotor. This is stage one. How I understand it, your car now expects contact with the rotor from here on out. This is why, if you reset the meter and there is sensor contact with the rotor, you get an SES error. Because it knows a sensor is at stage 1 (half pad wear).
So then at half pad wear, you have contact with the rotor until you wear the sensor and pad down enough that the sensor wire is completely worn through and broken. Then no electrical contact is made through the wire circuit again. This should trip stage two. Which means your pads should be replaced. It also causes it to flash the warning light on your dash.
I'm 90% all that's accurate, but I may be missing a fine point. I may be missing some detail about how the wire and contact works, but the principal is all there. At the time you posted, you may have seen that I had some of that wrong the first time around.
Appreciate 0