E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Salespeople and car buying etiquette?

08-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i

Salespeople and car buying etiquette?

Since the lease on my 335 is up in a few months, I've stopped by a few dealerships to get an initial feel for some models that I might be interested in... For example, I test drove a Nissan 370Z and decided that it just wasn't for me (felt like a tin can on wheels). I've also visited Audi and MB dealers to look at and test drive vehicles.

I prefer to do most of my negotiating over email, and that is typically not the working style of the guys/gals who work the lot at the dealer. Still, I'm in the initial phase of looking around, so it's hard/inconvenient to make initial contact (and appointments) with the "internet sales" groups at these dealerships.

So I guess the question is: Am I obligated (etiquette-wise) to work only with the salesperson I met on the first day? I know I can, in reality, work with whomever I want, but am I screwing the first guy? Since they have my drivers license from the initial test drive, I suppose they have me in their system as a lead tied to a specific salesperson?

... or I might be worrying about their feelings and relationships too much. I'd just hate to get the stink-eye from a shunned salesperson
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Car salesman is not one of the revered professions in this world. One should always be very careful and assume nothing when dealing with people who sell cars for a living. It's a cutthroat occupation where only the most aggressive survive. If you're just looking and have no intention to buy, it doesn't matter. But if you think you will really buy a car from that dealer, it's best to cultivate a civil relationship with one saleperson and stick exclusively with that person. Sometimes they will have "teams" where another sales person is specifically designated to cover for yours, and if that's the case it's OK to deal with the substitute. In my experience the sales people appreciate knowing that you are working with a specific individual, because that prevents misunderstandings all around. If you can do some word of mouth research ahead of time and find out who the "good" sales people are, that's even better because you can ask for that person from the start.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
zackday30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Carrera S, Black on Black

Eh, true etiquette is to deal with the inital salesperson as I understand it. But hey, if you do not like the original salesperson, I don't think there is anything wrong with asking to speak with someone else. Nobody really wants to buy a car from someone they don't like. Especially knowing that they are the ones going to be paid the commission on it. I work in sales and relationships are half the battle IMO.
'06 Carrera S (Fun)
Sold: 08 E92 335, 07 X5
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
No one will take you seriously unless you show them that you are serious. A sales rep that bluff doesn't have a place in my head. I tend to deal with internet sales rep that are willing to "negotiate" and give me what I want. But you must do your homework, and find out invoice, and options that you require.
If you need help, since you are in LA, I can refer you to someone. I've dealt with this guy before, referred couple of people, and didn't hear a complain about him.
G/L
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

my sister ran into this problem when she was buying her mini cooper we test drove and talked numbers to this one guy and said we will be back in a week to pick it up, but when we went back the guy wasn't in so we just bought it from another sales person. It was odd because i told them we were talking to the guy but they didn't care they just gave it who ever was next on the line up. we didn't really care though because the mini dealer is far from our house so we weren't about to go back home empty handed lol
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatrach73 View Post
No one will take you seriously unless you show them that you are serious. A sales rep that bluff doesn't have a place in my head. I tend to deal with internet sales rep that are willing to "negotiate" and give me what I want. But you must do your homework, and find out invoice, and options that you require.
If you need help, since you are in LA, I can refer you to someone. I've dealt with this guy before, referred couple of people, and didn't hear a complain about him.
G/L
To me, this is sales 101. As a good sales rep, you have to take every person seriously because you never know who you're dealing with or who is holding the money or the decision authority. I work in sales for a living and can tell you I'd rather be consistent and "waste" my time being courteous to everyone versus trying to guess who has the money.

A guy locally found out the hard way that I wasn't fucking around when I took my business to an out of city dealer 200 miles away. He called back a week later checking my status and I informed him I ordered a BMW from another dealership and thanked him for his time. The sound of his voice proved he was shocked. He simply didn't move fast enough, follow up enough, or act like he wanted to help. So I fired him.

My advice: You're the customer. You aren't buying a one of a kind item. These cars are nice, but they are a dime a dozen. You don't feel comfortable with some douche sales guy, you walk. It's that simple. You don't need to do anything to make him feel comfortable or convince him that you are serious. Don't be a douche though. If you hit it off with a sales guy and come back later, do your best to let them know who you're working with.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 08-10-2010 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
I try to call or go to few dealers, just I can get a competition going.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #8
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep

One of my pet peeves so far (and one of the things that prompted me to ask this question) is salespeople who don't take my visit seriously. Yes, I'm just starting to look, and am in a browsing phase and may not cut him a check the same day, but I figure that it should be worth a salesperson's time to cultivate any relationship. All too often, I'm either (a) ignored altogether (I'm of an appropriate age [32] and usually pull up in my car anyway) so I have to go ask for someone to help me, and/or the salesperson just won't know much about the car and will direct me on a test drive that is LITERALLY (not figuratively ) around the freakin block. How am I supposed to get a feel for a the difference between a bmw, mb, and a kia by going around a block at 30mph?

I suppose that for me, it's just a shaky threshold between me not wanting to "waste" a salesperson's time (I might want to test drive and take a close look at several different models in different classes -- it doesn't mean I'm not serious, or worse, a sucker) and a salesperson wasting mine (please know about the product you're trying to sell, and let me get a good feel for it).
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
jmar0351
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Your pet peeve is soooo right! I'm 28 and look younger and I've been going into bmw and other used car places over the past few months. I dress in comfortable clothes (t shirt and shorts or a polo and shorts) and half the time I feel like I'm pulling teeth to get a salesman's attention. Then, once they realize I'm driving in a relatively new car with a 550 a month payment, they finally pay attention. Now that my lease has only a month left they are taking me more seriously... buy why wouldn't they try to form a professional relationship and lasso me in before my lease is up instead of acting so damn douchy....?
By the way for those of you in NY/LI... Competition bmw was awesome (but expensive) and i talked to Darren Thomsen. Very good guy from our meetings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekthecat View Post
One of my pet peeves so far (and one of the things that prompted me to ask this question) is salespeople who don't take my visit seriously. Yes, I'm just starting to look, and am in a browsing phase and may not cut him a check the same day, but I figure that it should be worth a salesperson's time to cultivate any relationship. All too often, I'm either (a) ignored altogether (I'm of an appropriate age [32] and usually pull up in my car anyway) so I have to go ask for someone to help me, and/or the salesperson just won't know much about the car and will direct me on a test drive that is LITERALLY (not figuratively ) around the freakin block. How am I supposed to get a feel for a the difference between a bmw, mb, and a kia by going around a block at 30mph?

I suppose that for me, it's just a shaky threshold between me not wanting to "waste" a salesperson's time (I might want to test drive and take a close look at several different models in different classes -- it doesn't mean I'm not serious, or worse, a sucker) and a salesperson wasting mine (please know about the product you're trying to sell, and let me get a good feel for it).
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
From my experience, the best way to get a salesperson to spend the appropriate time and energy with you is to make an appointment beforehand. Tell them what you're interested in and they can get the car ready for you. Otherwise they're going to think you're just browsing when you walk in.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
So I guess the question is: Am I obligated (etiquette-wise) to work only with the salesperson I met on the first day?
No, particularly if the rapport you have with him is unsatisfactory to you.

Quote:
I know I can, in reality, work with whomever I want, but am I screwing the first guy? Since they have my drivers license from the initial test drive, I suppose they have me in their system as a lead tied to a specific salesperson?
That would depend on the systems they have, but it's still not your problem. The impact of your selecting another salesperson is that the original guy/gal may have to accept a "split deal" rather than collect the full commission from the transaction.

Quote:
... or I might be worrying about their feelings and relationships too much. I'd just hate to get the stink-eye from a shunned salesperson
You are worrying too much. If you get a stink eye that bothers you, write a stink letter (email) to the general manager of the dealership indicating your discomfort with the offending individual's comportment and that as a result you feel compelled to take your service business to a different dealer. The email should be very short and to the point, for example:

Dear [Name of the GM],
When I came to your store on such and such a date, I got the distinct impression that [insert person's name] was glaring at me and I felt, as a result, most uncomfortable being in your dealership. As lovely as your facility is, and notwithstanding the charming personality of [insert name of the salesperson from whom you obtained the car], I regret that I feel compelled to conduct my future BMW transactions with [insert name of competing BMW dealership]. Accordingly, please arrange to make the necessary transfers of my warranty and service information to them.

Best regards,
[your name]

BTW...even if you continue to take your vehicle to the dealership from which you obtained it, you can simply state that they are just "to damn geographically convenient." You will not find any more stinky looks coming your way from the offending (most likely former) employee. The fact is that dealerships are well aware that studies show happy/satisfied customers will tell one person about the dealership and pissed off ones will tell eleven (or more) people of their dismay. Finally, as the customer, you are under no obligation to know that there isn't any transfer of information needed; that you requested such a thing emphasizes the fact of your discomfort.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed

Last edited by tony20009; 08-10-2010 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #12
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
From my experience, the best way to get a salesperson to spend the appropriate time and energy with you is to make an appointment beforehand. Tell them what you're interested in and they can get the car ready for you. Otherwise they're going to think you're just browsing when you walk in.
So far, I have been "just browsing"... I suppose the difficulty was more like "I've been dating a bunch of girls and everybody has had a good time... I don't want to lead anyone on... but when I decide to settle down, is it okay if I call her sister instead?"
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
jw95275
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S5

I thought it's proper etiquette to not switch salesperson *on the same car*. E.g. if you want to look at a car that was not showed by salesperson A, can approach salesperson B about it, even if they from same dealership.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #14
advocado
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750Li/ 2011 335i conv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
Car salesman is not one of the revered professions in this world. One should always be very careful and assume nothing when dealing with people who sell cars for a living. It's a cutthroat occupation where only the most aggressive survive. If you're just looking and have no intention to buy, it doesn't matter. But if you think you will really buy a car from that dealer, it's best to cultivate a civil relationship with one saleperson and stick exclusively with that person. Sometimes they will have "teams" where another sales person is specifically designated to cover for yours, and if that's the case it's OK to deal with the substitute. In my experience the sales people appreciate knowing that you are working with a specific individual, because that prevents misunderstandings all around. If you can do some word of mouth research ahead of time and find out who the "good" sales people are, that's even better because you can ask for that person from the start.
You are absolutely correct. I have cultivated my relationship with one CA and one SA and it has paid off time and time again. They have sped things up for me, cut through red tape, and done many other "favors" for which I am grateful. Of course, they get their benefits as well. Repeat buyer, referrals, letters of appreciation to management and a little something at Christmas.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

What I do is go and test drive the models I am interested in and then when I have decided on the car and options I want I email several dealers for their best offer. I take the best offer and then out of courtesy call the salesmen I test drove with (assuming he is not a dick, so many are) and give them a chance to work with their manager to match the price. I never negotiate for a new car in person because via email they know if they don't come up with a good price you will never walk in the door. Just make sure you print the email.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:34 PM   #16
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
If the salesman was considerate to me and actually seemed interested in my business I'll do as much as possible to stick with him. If you have a good relationship he might be willing to go out of the way to do things for you like hide a specific car you are interested in so someone else won't test drive it or hook you up with a weekend test drive.

When I got the RX back in '03 I had been looking at a Murano as well. I was pretty much set on the Murano and had a good relationship with the salesman. I went to drive the RX just to see what it was like and liked it much better, and ended buying it that day. I took the time to call the salesman and thank him for his effort, and I was sorry I didn't buy a car from him. A few months after that I was looking at buying a S40 and it turned out that the Nissan dealership where I had looked at the Murano was also a Volvo dealership. Even though the salesmen only worked one side or the other, I told the GM that I refused to buy the S40 unless the Nissan guy I didn't buy the Murano from a few months prior could be the salesman. The GM obliged and the guy got his commission.
      08-10-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
man I deal with whoever treats me the best, just so happens that I stumbled on an awesome salesman right off. I was surprised how receptive my local dealer was to me being a young buyer, when Subaru Nissan and VW didn't want to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #18
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Hilarious thread. Like some of the working folks out there, I looked at BMWs for at least 2 years before I finally bought one. There was a CA who invited me to the E90 unveiling in 2005, the Ulitmate Driving Event with the professional instructors, and on and on.

The day I went to buy the 335 or order it since zero coupes were in stock at the time, that CA was off. His esteemed colleague brought me up in the computer, backspaced over his name, and now I had a new (and much prettier) CA that was glad to order me the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #19
jferrell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 Mazda3

Just some thoughts from a CA on the issue.

I'm fairly vocal in my beliefs but some of these posts are just rude. I tell all my customers who I meet on the lot I work by appointment call in advance, if you show up to buy a car at my dealership and have worked with me they will kindly ask you to return when I'm available. Occasionaly a partner of mine will help but not sell you the car. Call in advance to make sure we're here, we don't live here.

If you go to the lot and work with someone there, don't send an email from Edmunds or wherever asking for a qoute, depending on the dealership it's now a split between two salesman and neither will work very hard to get you what you want at that point and depending on the dealership two guys may be splitting $100 dollars, it's doubtful they'll work for you at that point. If the guy gave you a card keep it, email him or call him and let him know the price you'd like.

Here is my pet peeve while we're throwing them out. You come to lot, test drive, run numbers, test drive another trim level, ask me to help discern what looks good, and spend several hours with me. I offer you 3%(it's commonly known most BMW models hold between 6 and 7%) you then send out IT leads to the state and some slow po' dunk dealership gives you $500 over invoice so I now have to match or beat it to earn your business. What happened to the hours I spent with you helping you decide what you needed or wanted. What happened to the courtesy I extended? Why isn't service what is needed to earn your business, the other guy just had to give you a lower number then me? He didn't stay late because you can't get off work during normal business hours, he didn't take the car to your house, he didn't pull two colors side by side to help you figure out which one looked best, he didn't run lease versus finance versus cash numbers, 24 versus 36 months, 7 security deposits versus no security deposits. He sent you an email and now to earn the business I have to match that.

It's just rude, and then I go home to my wife and 2 year old son and tell them I lost another one because my manager won't ok 500 over invoice and my customer won't pay a premium for the work I put into the deal. People complain about shady sales people this that and the other, I'm complaining about being one of the better ones and frankly being shit on by cheap customers who know the price of everything and value of nothing. This is not a bad profession and most of my customers I love, I call them on there birthdays or just to chat and most of them are great business and personal contacts however, it seems most everyone on this board given the option would order their car like pizza and have it delivered to their house if they could get it cheaper then a dealership. Meanwhile I don't have expendable income and don't eat out or buy consumer products/services as often and it trickles down into your job and you're pissed because your company is sending jobs overseas or executing paycuts. I've said it a thousand times we're screwing each other. I'm sorry if this offends you but it's my life and my truth and it it smells and sticks to your shoe it's probaly shit.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #20
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jferrell View Post
Just some thoughts from a CA on the issue.

I'm fairly vocal in my beliefs but some of these posts are just rude. I tell all my customers who I meet on the lot I work by appointment call in advance, if you show up to buy a car at my dealership and have worked with me they will kindly ask you to return when I'm available. Occasionaly a partner of mine will help but not sell you the car. Call in advance to make sure we're here, we don't live here.

If you go to the lot and work with someone there, don't send an email from Edmunds or wherever asking for a qoute, depending on the dealership it's now a split between two salesman and neither will work very hard to get you what you want at that point and depending on the dealership two guys may be splitting $100 dollars, it's doubtful they'll work for you at that point. If the guy gave you a card keep it, email him or call him and let him know the price you'd like.

Here is my pet peeve while we're throwing them out. You come to lot, test drive, run numbers, test drive another trim level, ask me to help discern what looks good, and spend several hours with me. I offer you 3%(it's commonly known most BMW models hold between 6 and 7%) you then send out IT leads to the state and some slow po' dunk dealership gives you $500 over invoice so I now have to match or beat it to earn your business. What happened to the hours I spent with you helping you decide what you needed or wanted. What happened to the courtesy I extended? Why isn't service what is needed to earn your business, the other guy just had to give you a lower number then me? He didn't stay late because you can't get off work during normal business hours, he didn't take the car to your house, he didn't pull two colors side by side to help you figure out which one looked best, he didn't run lease versus finance versus cash numbers, 24 versus 36 months, 7 security deposits versus no security deposits. He sent you an email and now to earn the business I have to match that.

It's just rude, and then I go home to my wife and 2 year old son and tell them I lost another one because my manager won't ok 500 over invoice and my customer won't pay a premium for the work I put into the deal. People complain about shady sales people this that and the other, I'm complaining about being one of the better ones and frankly being shit on by cheap customers who know the price of everything and value of nothing. This is not a bad profession and most of my customers I love, I call them on there birthdays or just to chat and most of them are great business and personal contacts however, it seems most everyone on this board given the option would order their car like pizza and have it delivered to their house if they could get it cheaper then a dealership. Meanwhile I don't have expendable income and don't eat out or buy consumer products/services as often and it trickles down into your job and you're pissed because your company is sending jobs overseas or executing paycuts. I've said it a thousand times we're screwing each other. I'm sorry if this offends you but it's my life and my truth and it it smells and sticks to your shoe it's probaly shit.
I agree with pretty much all of your points. Customers need to respect CA's time and be willing to pay for it accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 03:07 PM   #21
DarkRider23
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 201 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Hilarious thread. Like some of the working folks out there, I looked at BMWs for at least 2 years before I finally bought one. There was a CA who invited me to the E90 unveiling in 2005, the Ulitmate Driving Event with the professional instructors, and on and on.

The day I went to buy the 335 or order it since zero coupes were in stock at the time, that CA was off. His esteemed colleague brought me up in the computer, backspaced over his name, and now I had a new (and much prettier) CA that was glad to order me the car.
Now, that, is fucked up.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #22
Ali.K_BMW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i xDrive

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jferrell View Post

I AGREE!! which is why I stopped being a sponsor here sadly. People think we get paid fat checks when we sell a car at invoice. they don't realize we get petty cash for all the work we do and in the end your just another salesman giving them what they want.

Another FAIL thread.