E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > To "M" badge or not

05-31-2007, 05:13 PM   #23
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
Anyone who puts an //M on the back of a 3series which is not a real M3 is a pretentious wannabe hack who should be driving a nissan/toyota/honda around with some HKS sticks and shit up the side! In my opinion it's the ultimate insult to the real M3's.
Mpower .... I presume you have M monicas on your car too. Just because they are not on the boot is irrelivant because your car is plastered with them anyway. By using your logic then you would be in agreeance that BMW "THE COMPANY" are giving their M3 the ultimate insult.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 06:12 PM   #24
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW //MPOWER View Post
Anyone who puts an //M on the back of a 3series which is not a real M3 is a pretentious wannabe hack who should be driving a nissan/toyota/honda around with some HKS sticks and shit up the side! In my opinion it's the ultimate insult to the real M3's.
      05-31-2007, 06:16 PM   #25
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

i didn't know a freaking M badge was going to be this controversial. Im enjoying this thread
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 07:08 PM   #26
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
After all this debate, my car still has a ///M badge on the boot since August last year. And the glue/sticky tape doesnt look like its going to fall off anytime soon!

Interesting debate but all comes down to opinions and what one believes in. I do what I like to my car to enjoy it & I do listen to you guys for advice, but ultimately, it still comes down to my decision on what stays and what goes on my car.

You guys enforce what each of you believe in on your own car as really this thread will never end as it is so opinionated.
      05-31-2007, 08:26 PM   #27
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEA69 View Post
After all this debate, my car still has a ///M badge on the boot since August last year. And the glue/sticky tape doesnt look like its going to fall off anytime soon!

Interesting debate but all comes down to opinions and what one believes in. I do what I like to my car to enjoy it & I do listen to you guys for advice, but ultimately, it still comes down to my decision on what stays and what goes on my car.

You guys enforce what each of you believe in on your own car as really this thread will never end as it is so opinionated.
Like I stated earlier, I am against M badging non M cars, but you're absolutely right, it's your car and you certainly have the right to do whatever you want.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 10:10 PM   #28
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

I started this thread on purpose to create a bit of debate. I listen to everyone bu I make my own decission. So it's interesting to see peoples thougth process benhind their opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 11:08 PM   #29
alwaysblazin
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

i reckon go the badge man....you spent the extra 5 grand odd on ur car, why not let the world know.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 11:28 PM   #30
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.G View Post
i didn't know a freaking M badge was going to be this controversial. Im enjoying this thread
i'm with you... it's starting to get very entertaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgr02 View Post
I started this thread on purpose to create a bit of debate. I listen to everyone bu I make my own decission. So it's interesting to see peoples thougth process benhind their opinion.
so have you made your decision yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysblazin View Post
i reckon go the badge man....you spent the extra 5 grand odd on ur car, why not let the world know.
are you for real?
      06-01-2007, 01:14 AM   #31
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Quote:
Mpower .... I presume you have M monicas on your car too. Just because they are not on the boot is irrelivant because your car is plastered with them anyway. By using your logic then you would be in agreeance that BMW "THE COMPANY" are giving their M3 the ultimate insult.
Now this is an interesting train of thought! The ultimate insult is Mercedes Benz giving their engines to SSanyong Mussos so they could put "powered by Mercedes Benz" badges on the back. What a monumental business strategy disaster!

BMW use the "M" moniker for their motorsports division not only for factory mods and tuning but also on their "sports/ race inspired" aftermarket parts. This latter part is pure marketing to maintain BMW's sporty image (An "M" wheel or gear knob may look good, feel good or be better ergonomically but it won't really make the car go faster/better). I'm not sure BMW ever put an "M" badge on the back of any of their cars from the factory (asia or otherwise) if they were not an M3, M5 or M6.

Therefore, IMHO, the badge on the BACK of the car (have you noticed that the model delete option has itself been deleted?) should denote what is under the bonnet and nothing else. I say this because this thread is now a debate about BMW's use of the "M" moniker. I do not pass judgement on others (you can do whatever you like), but this is my 2 cents worth.

06-01-2007, 01:21 AM   #32
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
^^ i completely agree with everything you just said
      06-01-2007, 01:40 AM   #33
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
^^ i completely agree with everything you just said
x2. Where's the + rep when you need it!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 01:41 AM   #34
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

Ahh! Being validated feels sooo good!
      06-01-2007, 02:08 AM   #35
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.G View Post
I’ll bring the beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEA69 View Post
I say do what you want to your own car. No one will really mind what badge people have.

Next thing we will be hunting down people with “M” caps.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 06:04 AM   #36
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 M340i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
There is a reason for that, my car is an Individual BMW //M Clubsport edition, hence the door sills as you see in my signature. Not a freaking 320i with a sports package. Nonetheless my car does not have any stupid //M badge on the rear end of my car, it has 325ci on it, as that is what is. I'm not too ashamed of my car to show what it is like those who debadge it and put //M badges on it, because they wish they had an M3 or any other higher range model, rather than the 318i or 320i that they are actually driving!
BMW E46 325Ci M Clubsport Carbon Black
BMW E36 318i Alpine White M Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 06:05 AM   #37
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
I’ll bring the beer.

I say do what you want to your own car. No one will really mind what badge people have.

Next thing we will be hunting down people with “M” caps.

Cheers.
Oh don't worry, when i see people with //M badges on the back of 318i & 320i's i make an effort to put down my window and tell them about it!
If you haven't noticed i have issues with try-hards!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 06:08 AM   #38
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
maybee i should rebadge as a 318i
      06-01-2007, 06:11 AM   #39
BMW //MPOWER
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
maybee i should rebadge as a 318i
Understatement is fine by me, but posing as something better than what you are is the same as those chicks you see all hammed up at establishment on a friday night trying to find a guy with money! Mutton dressed up as lamb! Not cool!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 07:41 AM   #40
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
:
so have you made your decision yet?
Yep ..... Now I'm really going to put it on so MPOWER can yell abuse at me.

And by the way MPOWER, I'm not taking a swing at you for having the M monica on your car. Yes your car was born as an Individual M Clubsport and I'll correct you that mine was born as a 320I M sport. Same difference in BMW's use of the M although in both our cars, the M stands for "Marketing".
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #41
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
be sure to post pics of this...
      06-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #42
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
Talking

Quote:

And by the way MPOWER, I'm not taking a swing at you for having the M monica on your car. Yes your car was born as an Individual M Clubsport and I'll correct you that mine was born as a 320I M sport. Same difference in BMW's use of the M although in both our cars, the M stands for "Marketing".
Good On Ya vgr02! Be sure to get some new pics of your car for us! Ill be posting new pics next week of my new 'rear end'.... its a shocker! At the moment...its all masked up for secrecy......hehehhehh! Have a good weekend guys!

:rocks:
      06-02-2007, 05:33 AM   #43
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
be sure to post pics of this...
Forget the pics.....

I want tickets to the live show.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #44
eml
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe, F48 X1 xDr25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbeemer View Post
I'm not sure BMW ever put an "M" badge on the back of any of their cars from the factory (asia or otherwise) if they were not an M3, M5 or M6.
yes they did -- but to clarify, this was only (so far) for the e46s and e39s (none yet (?) for the e90, etc.). unfortunately (and obviously), they're not on the websites anymore for me to point to but i know i have flyers which i'll try to dig out of storage and post. you can also check the asia section of e90post, e46fanatics, etc. and see references.

at that time, i had hoped bmw (asia) didn't go this route and just followed the uk style of just calling them 325 Sport or 330 Sport (which essentially had the same kits -- body, steering wheel, seats, wheels, anthracite headlining, suspension, etc.). and, yes, there was debate within these countries' enthusiast groups, too, on bmw's use of M on those.
Appreciate 0