E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > [FREE] Central NJ - Providing Car battery replacement help

02-28-2014, 03:30 PM   #45
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
I feel the Part No. 49H8 is the better bet to go with:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...000#fragment-2

It has the closest specs to your original battery (The RC is matching your OEM @ 160)

FROM SPECS TAB:
Battery Type: Lead Acid
BCI Group Size: 49
Cold Cranking Amps: 760 amps
Cranking Amps: 950 amps
Deep Cycle/Starting: Starting
Height: 7 1/2 in
Length: 14 5/16 in
Maintenance Free: Yes
Reserve Capacity: 160 min
Terminal Type: Top Terminal
Voltage: 12 v
Weight: 52 lbs
Width: 6 7/8 in

Are you planning to DIY or have them install it? Just a word of warning... don't let anyone plug in anything to your OBD2 port or a backup battery when doing the battery replacement on this car (People say they do this to preserve the "memory" but it's not good... my friend got a busted fuse for his kombi when AAP did the install that way. It's an easy fix but took a couple days of research to figure out the issue).

Also make sure you pop down the rear seats in case you lock the trunk by accident (you don't want to be locked outta the trunk with no battery... know what i mean).

Thanks, I bought that same exact one based on the RC.

I'm going to try to register it though INPA since I have an 06, it should work. If it doesnt though, I may need your help.

I figure since the RC are the same, the AH would also be the same and I don't need to code anything through NCSexpert. Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 06:21 PM   #46
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy View Post
Thanks, I bought that same exact one based on the RC.

I'm going to try to register it though INPA since I have an 06, it should work. If it doesnt though, I may need your help.

I figure since the RC are the same, the AH would also be the same and I don't need to code anything through NCSexpert. Is this correct?
That is the basic idea... Just make sure first in INPA that it shows the charging profile as 90ah and also what the mileage in KM the last battery change was at (in my case since i'm on the original battery it shows 000000 km for my last battery change and also for the last 5 battery changes). after you register the battery (i would actually use smooth1's free BMWLogger software to register instead of ncsexpert)... Then go back and verify in INPA taht it shows the current mileage in KM as the last battery changed mileage. You will also notice all the other battery details over the past 5 days got zeroed out.

If u need help... Call me.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 05:54 AM   #47
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That is the basic idea... Just make sure first in INPA that it shows the charging profile as 90ah and also what the mileage in KM the last battery change was at (in my case since i'm on the original battery it shows 000000 km for my last battery change and also for the last 5 battery changes). after you register the battery (i would actually use smooth1's free BMWLogger software to register instead of ncsexpert)... Then go back and verify in INPA taht it shows the current mileage in KM as the last battery changed mileage. You will also notice all the other battery details over the past 5 days got zeroed out.

If u need help... Call me.
Will do. Thanks man you've been really helpful.

Just a sidenote, the guy at advanced told me that they don't install batterys in BMW's because as soon as you unplug the battery you lose everything including mileage! I just laughed and walked away/

Installing it myself today.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #48
imflyerthanyou
President
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:

Just a sidenote, the guy at advanced told me that they don't install batterys in BMW's because as soon as you unplug the battery you lose everything including mileage! I just laughed and walked away/

lol I think they stop doing this because of me hahah . When me and fazman went to change my battery out some guy at Advanced did it for me but in the process fried a couple of my fuse. Nothing on my cluster worked , no rpm, speedo , lights , nothing lol. So he then tried to fix it and couldn't so I guess he got a little scared ... Turned out to be a simple fix , all I did was replaced a fuse and everything was back to normal. I guess from then on they don't wanna be responsible .. It's easy man you can do it & just hit fazman if you need help
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 07:47 AM   #49
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imflyerthanyou View Post
lol I think they stop doing this because of me hahah . When me and fazman went to change my battery out some guy at Advanced did it for me but in the process fried a couple of my fuse. Nothing on my cluster worked , no rpm, speedo , lights , nothing lol. So he then tried to fix it and couldn't so I guess he got a little scared ... Turned out to be a simple fix , all I did was replaced a fuse and everything was back to normal. I guess from then on they don't wanna be responsible .. It's easy man you can do it & just hit fazman if you need help
Nice! So it's your fault! Yeah the guys face turned white when I told him it was a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #50
Dannyboy
Lieutenant
Rep

Battery swapped and registered!

Thanks for the help fazman.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #51
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It's always been the policy of AAP that they don't install batteries when it's not located in the engine bay. The way i was able to get it to happen was talk convincingly around at several AAP shops until one of them gave me the thumbs up for the free install. Then I did the order online and pick up at THAT store.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #52
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Battery swapped and registered!

Thanks for the help fazman.
Glad to hear another happy registered local member
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #53
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #54
slowbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Cpe, 2011 335XI Sdn

Anyone on here able to do the registration in the Pittsburgh, PA area?

fazman do you ever travel to Pittsburgh?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #55
Z&M Auto
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbmw View Post

If he could, he would!

Bump for a GREAT guy. Knows his stuff. Awesome to see this kind've help from the members.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #56
ArthurL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT (E93)

Just bought an AutoCraft 49H8 battery from Advanced Auto for around $120 after tax. I know the RC for this battery is 160, so just to confirm is it 90 Ah?

I read somewhere that it might be 95 Ah? But there's no #s on the site that says anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #57
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sorry man, had you asked me in September 2013 I would have (I was making NJ / MD runs all month long). But an alternative would be to just go buy a cheap $30 OBD2 coding cable on ebay and use the free BMWLogger software made by Smooth1 (that's what I use). I could even remote into your machine and just do it for you, but it's literally just 2 clicks on the menu and in less than 1 second you have registered your own battery
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #58
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurL View Post
Just bought an AutoCraft 49H8 battery from Advanced Auto for around $120 after tax. I know the RC for this battery is 160, so just to confirm is it 90 Ah?

I read somewhere that it might be 95 Ah? But there's no #s on the site that says anything.
Basically, anything that is RC 150 or greater (like your new battery is) will work fine with the 90AH profile that the car uses. So you should be golden
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #59
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Will you be around this Sunday? I could use some help coding for my battery. . .
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #60
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turugara View Post
Will you be around this Sunday? I could use some help coding for my battery. . .
Sorry i didn't see this post till just now. Send me your contact info in PM. I don't do coding... But if you can swing by... I can register your battery in a couple seconds
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #61
Neon21db
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi Q8

fazman, do you know how to replace the battery also?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 11:01 AM   #62
slowbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Coding

Quote:
Sorry man, had you asked me in September 2013 I would have (I was making NJ / MD runs all month long). But an alternative would be to just go buy a cheap $30 OBD2 coding cable on ebay and use the free BMWLogger software made by Smooth1 (that's what I use). I could even remote into your machine and just do it for you, but it's literally just 2 clicks on the menu and in less than 1 second you have registered your own battery
That would be a huge help if I get hung up, it would be great to use your assistance. I will let you know when I get the battery and the cable in.

A second question, another problem I am having is with my memory mirrors. I have the memory locations programmed, but when I enter the vehicle with either key, the mirrors default to a completely down and right position (the reflection points me right at the door). I do not have comfort access. Is there a way to reset the default position on the mirrors? your help is appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #63
slowbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon21db View Post
Neon, there are a bunch of DIY's in the DIY section. or just search battery replacement.

I think the best place to but the battery is getbmwparts.com. They will be able to determine exactly what you need.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #64
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Quote:
Neon, there are a bunch of DIY's in the DIY section. or just search battery replacement.

I think the best place to but the battery is getbmwparts.com. They will be able to determine exactly what you need.
Do keep in mind that they do not ship batteries.
      04-27-2014, 12:33 AM   #65
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon21db View Post
Sorry, i was offline for a while... I personally haven't done it... But its not all that hard. Just check out a few youtube videos on it and it's pretty straight forward. Just work slow and careful. If you come out to me i can try to help you.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2014, 12:37 AM   #66
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That would be a huge help if I get hung up, it would be great to use your assistance. I will let you know when I get the battery and the cable in.

A second question, another problem I am having is with my memory mirrors. I have the memory locations programmed, but when I enter the vehicle with either key, the mirrors default to a completely down and right position (the reflection points me right at the door). I do not have comfort access. Is there a way to reset the default position on the mirrors? your help is appreciated.
This only happened to me ONCE while i was driving, my SA said it was an issue that does happen and when it happens... Bring the car in right away to get the code read without shutting off the car. Basically the way he explained it to me is they need to change the mirror motors. So i would do a google search on "e90 side mirrors pointing up down" or something like those key words to get at the root cause of your issue. Sorry for the bad news on the mirrors.

Sorry for the delay in response... I've been offline for a while.
Appreciate 0