E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320si intermittent starting problem

10-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #265
dbramley
320d M-Sport
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320si

JohnnySi - do you work at Preston Hall BMW?

If you do I've been there a few times but always been told there is no record of my car needing that service and they have no info on it. Only the M cars need it!

Cheers
Dan

Last edited by dbramley; 04-07-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #266
Detox
BMW Freak !!!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 SMG (E46) Vorsteiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramley View Post

If you do I've been there a few times but always been told there is no record of my car needing that service and they have no info on it. Only the M cars need it!

They also had it in for a week last year but couldnt find a fault....

Would be good if you do so I have a contact there who knows what they're talking about! Let me know and we'll sort out a plan of action - software update / valve clearance service etc.

Cheers
Dan
Dan,

What up with your car, what is the fault?

Cheers
Mo
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #267
JonnySi
BMW Technician
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbramley View Post

They also had it in for a week last year but couldnt find a fault....

Would be good if you do so I have a contact there who knows what they're talking about! Let me know and we'll sort out a plan of action - software update / valve clearance service etc.

Cheers
Dan
Hi Dan. Yes i do work at Preston Hall (Cooper Teesside). A 320Si requires valve clearences every second oil service. Potentially 40000 miles or 4 years, whichever is sooner. This would come up on a Keyreader when the car is checked in at the dealer.

What are the faults with your car?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 01:28 AM   #268
Martin 320si
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320si

320si problems

Hi all

I have stumbled across this thread regarding the 320si, I have just had mine towed back to the BMW garage following a fairly major misfiring problem.

After a quick inspection I am being told the head gasget needs doing but need to strip the engine to check (not what I would expect from a 70,000miler with one owner)

The car has aways been serviced by BMW main dealers, but is out of warrantee. reading a few of these threads it does seem despite being a fantastic car there maybe problems with the bespoke engine.

I wonder if anyone can assist with regards evidence that this is an inherent problem and how BMW would deal with it.

I love the car and was hoping that it would last me a out a couple more years 100k+ mileage, now im not sure!!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 05:48 AM   #269
Detox
BMW Freak !!!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin 320si View Post
Hi all

I have stumbled across this thread regarding the 320si, I have just had mine towed back to the BMW garage following a fairly major misfiring problem.

After a quick inspection I am being told the head gasget needs doing but need to strip the engine to check (not what I would expect from a 70,000miler with one owner)

The car has aways been serviced by BMW main dealers, but is out of warrantee. reading a few of these threads it does seem despite being a fantastic car there maybe problems with the bespoke engine.

I wonder if anyone can assist with regards evidence that this is an inherent problem and how BMW would deal with it.

I love the car and was hoping that it would last me a out a couple more years 100k+ mileage, now im not sure!!
Hi Martin,

I am in Hampshire as well so drop me a line and I can certainly help with pictures of the liners etc...
The Head gasket diagnosis is probably not correct as these cars use bi metal head gaskets and they dont go under normal circumstances and mechanics don't expect the liners to be an issue hence the head gasket would be the probable cause for any generic mechanic... I am expecting that they did a compresion test and found uneven or low compresion hence this diagnosis..

You need to approach this well and plan it carefully to have a good argument to present..

PM me and we can work it out..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #270
Nikos120i
Private
Greece
Rep

si owners I have a question.

When you unlock your si do the rings at your xenons light up as they do on past 2007 3ers?
      10-28-2010, 01:52 PM   #271
JonnySi
BMW Technician
Rep

Nope they don't, i think they do with auto lights though?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 03:03 AM   #272
Nikos120i
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySi View Post
Nope they don't, i think they do with auto lights though?
They don't neither. I have auto lights and xenon's and they don't.
      10-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #273
Detox
BMW Freak !!!
United Kingdom
Rep

Engine is in......

I have managed to get the engine in today
started and runs very well... sounds great :-)))

i took it for a spin just now and it drives very well and just wants to go ... I am very pleased but need to take it easy for the next few hundred miles :-((

Will post some pics of the completed engine shortly..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #274
JonnySi
BMW Technician
Rep

Excellent work, mine has developed a rather unhealthy knock when you lightly blip the throttle. Its going into work next week (warranty) but i reckon it is the dual mass flywheel failing. Hope so to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:13 AM   #275
Nikos120i
Private
Greece
Rep

Excellent work!

Looking forward for that dyno run!
      11-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #276
Detox
BMW Freak !!!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Excellent work, mine has developed a rather unhealthy knock when you lightly blip the throttle. Its going into work next week (warranty) but i reckon it is the dual mass flywheel failing. Hope so to be honest.
Sorry to hear that mate.. hope its only the fly wheel, are you going to change the clutch as well while you are at it?

Let us know how it goes?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #277
Detox
BMW Freak !!!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos120i View Post
Excellent work!

Looking forward for that dyno run!
Me too ;-))
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #278
JonnySi
BMW Technician
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detox View Post
Sorry to hear that mate.. hope its only the fly wheel, are you going to change the clutch as well while you are at it?

Let us know how it goes?
Yeah me to. Took it into work and got messed about no end by my service manager, so i've booked it into the next nearest dealer to look at it. To be fair, they have put 2 new engines in it already for the previous owner.

I had a look through the inspection hole in the bell housing, and there was grease everywhere so it looks to be the flywheel, so i'll have a clutch aswell.

Our master technician was concerned that it might be the rear crank bearing.

I stalled it the other day, and it took a while to crank, its as flat as a fart now, so i reckon it could have jumped the timing which is very common on both styes of N45 engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #279
JonnySi
BMW Technician
Rep

Also through the grape vine, the ONLY Si that BMW uk own for press and there collection has now had 3 engines. They failed after the valve clearances were adjusted and they dropped a shim each time.

I think i'll leave mine for the time being!

Last edited by JonnySi; 11-01-2010 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #280
Detox
BMW Freak !!!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yeah me to. Took it into work and got messed about no end by my service manager, so i've booked it into the next nearest dealer to look at it. To be fair, they have put 2 new engines in it already for the previous owner.

I had a look through the inspection hole in the bell housing, and there was grease everywhere so it looks to be the flywheel, so i'll have a clutch aswell.

Our master technician was concerned that it might be the rear crank bearing.

I stalled it the other day, and it took a while to crank, its as flat as a fart now, so i reckon it could have jumped the timing which is very common on both styes of N45 engine.
All sorts of issues at the same time !!
You have to take it easy mate and dont feel disheartened.. just sort it out one at a time...
I reckon you do both jobs yourself which you would probably do much better !!

The rear bearing seal was leaking when I took my engine out.. check the photo so it might actually need replacing on yours..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #281
Detox
BMW Freak !!!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Also through the grape vine, the ONLY Si that BMW uk own for press and there collection has now had 3 engines. They failed after the valve clearances were adjusted and they dropped a shim each time.

I think i'll leave mine for the time being!
Do you mean they dropped it in when doing the valve clearance or it just fell in while runnning??
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #282
JonnySi
BMW Technician
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detox View Post
Do you mean they dropped it in when doing the valve clearance or it just fell in while runnning??
They adjusted them, ran them for a bit, and then they fell in. Game over, killed them instantly!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #283
Detox
BMW Freak !!!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
They adjusted them, ran them for a bit, and then they fell in. Game over, killed them instantly!
Painfull....
Sounds unusual except if they have not done it correctly.. Loose cam !! thought would be highly unlikely...
They are sensitive engines
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #284
Detox
BMW Freak !!!
United Kingdom
Rep

Engine going in !!

Stage sof engine going in.... a lot of work a hours took place betweeen each of the pictures !!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #285
Nikos120i
Private
Greece
Rep

Is is safe to work with all this wiring etc when raining?
      11-02-2010, 02:59 AM   #286
Detox
BMW Freak !!!
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos120i View Post
Is is safe to work with all this wiring etc when raining?
Not recommended at all !!!!
I had the electrics box covered and the engine actually was in and connected before the rain started so it was not that bad...

The thing that helped was that The engine loom had already been connected to the engine and was just plugged into the car which took about 5 min!!!

if you are putting a new engine in make sure the engine loom is on the engine before fitting otherwise it becomes very difficult!!!

Our British weather
Appreciate 0