E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Looking to upgrade my DA, from 7424 xp

10-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Looking to upgrade my DA, from 7424 xp

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my DA. I have a PC 7424XP, it gets the job done, but I am not a huge fan. I wanted to get some opinions on what to get next.

What I am looking for:-

-something thats better to handle than the PC. Vibration, weight, etc.
-Something faster. The PC can be a little frustrating at times. I dont always have the whole weekend to detail my car. Even a 1step can be quite a slow deal.
- I am not a pro, so I dont want something super expensive, but something thats more capable than PC 7424, and faster.

I've looked at MT 300, Torq 10, and Rupes 21. From what I gather Rupes has 7" backing plate, and I have all 5.5" pads, so I dont really want to waste all those. Unless its really worth the extre $100+ over the otehr options.

I am open to other options as well.

Thanks!
RD
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

We are big fans of the Rupes line up of machines at my shop.

The Rupes LHR21ES can be fitted with a 5" backing plate to use 5.5" pads. This is how we use ours 99% of the time, so don't rule that machine out just because of the stock backing plate size.

For general use, I find my favorite machine to be our Rupes LHR15ES Mark II. It is very smooth, has a considerably larger throw than Porter Cable machines which means it requires less effort on your end to get the same type of results.

As far as getting the job done quicker, I am not sure you will notice a whole lot of difference. The biggest factor to me is how much less physical effort is required with a large throw machine. Because the side-to-side orbit of the machine is massive relative to the porter cable, the machine can do more work without the need for downward pressure. So instead of spending hours leaning into a machine to get good defect removal, you simply guide the Rupes machine along using only light pressure, allowing the tool to do the work for you.

Product Review: Rupes Bigfoot Mark II by Zach McGovern

Another potential option would be the Rupes Duetto machine which also comes with a 5" backing plate. This unit has a 12mm throw and is a very compact body similar to the Porter Cable.

(The Griot's BOSS Machines are quite similar to the Rupes machines and are slighly less expensive, so you may wish to consider those as well)

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Zach
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #3
ritzzzzzwik
Captain
Rep
Drives: SO M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
We are big fans of the Rupes line up of machines at my shop.

The Rupes LHR21ES can be fitted with a 5" backing plate to use 5.5" pads. This is how we use ours 99% of the time, so don't rule that machine out just because of the stock backing plate size.

For general use, I find my favorite machine to be our Rupes LHR15ES Mark II. It is very smooth, has a considerably larger throw than Porter Cable machines which means it requires less effort on your end to get the same type of results.

As far as getting the job done quicker, I am not sure you will notice a whole lot of difference. The biggest factor to me is how much less physical effort is required with a large throw machine. Because the side-to-side orbit of the machine is massive relative to the porter cable, the machine can do more work without the need for downward pressure. So instead of spending hours leaning into a machine to get good defect removal, you simply guide the Rupes machine along using only light pressure, allowing the tool to do the work for you.

Product Review: Rupes Bigfoot Mark II by Zach McGovern

Another potential option would be the Rupes Duetto machine which also comes with a 5" backing plate. This unit has a 12mm throw and is a very compact body similar to the Porter Cable.

(The Griot's BOSS Machines are quite similar to the Rupes machines and are slighly less expensive, so you may wish to consider those as well)

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Zach
Thanks! but how does the rupes compare with the Torq10? I see its a smaller throw, but the price difference is quite significant. I can see some 21s on Amazon that are cheaper, but still a decent sum more than the Torq10. The Torq10 does look like a Rupes knock off, but does it function? For someone who details 2-4 times a year (that is for actual polishing), spending over $400 on a polisher has to make sense.

I do agree the effort is what I actually care about. I did my cars hood past weekend. Had some bird poop damage, and polishing it with the PC was pain. I ended up doing a 1-step on the whole car (because I got carried away), but in the end I was convinced I needed a better machine.

Something that fits the Price v effort matrix. Thoughts on the MT 300 and Torq10?
2007 335i E92 MT | MFactory LSD | Diff Brace | MHD/Wedge Tuned| BL Coils | Stg2 lpfp BoostConcepts | VRSF DPs | VRSF 7" HD FMIC | DCI | VRSF CP | BMW SSK | Billstein PSS Coilovers | M3 Control Arms | Whiteline Rear SF Inserts | SS brake lines | Z4 35is Rotors | Hawk 5.0 pads | M219s + PSS | PE Mod -SOLD
2016 M4 F82 MT
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 07:34 AM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzzzzzwik View Post
Thoughts on the MT 300 and Torq10?
Sorry - I have not used either machine. We have been using Rupes machines since the first Bigfoot was introduced 5 years ago or so and love them.

For most DIYers who will use a machine <5 times a year I typically recommend the Griot's Garage 3rd Gen machine as it can do everything well, but it is only slightly more powerful than your porter cable.

Looking at the specs of the Torq, it has the same 8mm throw or side-to-side motion that a porter cable does, and although the torque has a higher powered motor, it appears to spin at a lower OPM... so I do not think this will yield any benefits to you over your current machine. I think the only benefit is the ergonomics of the Torq as I prefer the "rotary style" body and handle compared to the very small Porter Cable style body.

The MT300 also has the same 8mm throw as the Porter Cable and nearly the same OPM range, so again this will perform much like the PC7424XP you already have.

The major changes come when you start adding larger throw with machines like the Rupes LHR15, LHR21, Griot's BOSS G15 and G21. The massive difference in a 15mm throw or 21mm throw vs. an 8mm throw allows you to get more work done with less effort/downward pressure. Another variant is the Flex3401 machine that is a gear driven, direct drive polisher. It is not a free spinning machine like all of the others mentioned here, so it will not stop spinning or stall like free spindled machines will. This has it's pros and cons, of course.

Here is a quick overview of some of the tools we've mentioned so far, for more options, check out our complete Buffer Comparison Chart.

Oscillations Per Minute (OPM)
Porter Cable: 2500-6800
Torq10: 1500-4200
MT300: 3000-7000
Rupes LHR15: 2500-5300
Griot's BOSS G15: 0-5000
Rupes Duetto: 4000-5000

Throw
Porter Cable: 8mm
Torq10: 8mm
MT300: 8mm
Rupes LHR15: 15mm
Griot's BOSS G15: 15mm
Rupes Duetto: 12mm

The Griot's BOSS machines are going to be the best bang for your buck in terms of performance and quality. They are built for professional use and include a lifetime warranty.

Let me know if you've got any questions!

-Zach
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #5
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

In my case I upgraded to a long throw machine (Rupes 21) however, I still use my PC quite often, I just switched to a 3in backing plate on the PC for use in tighter spaces and headlight restorations.
      11-09-2016, 12:47 AM   #6
tnsguypat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

Griot's garage Boss G15! This is the polisher for you. It is really smooth and easy to use but has a lot more power than your PC. Long throw orbital! It's basically the same as a Rupes 15 although I think it is better because it is cheaper and comes with a lifetime warranty. I believe Rupes only gives you a 2 year warranty. Griot's Garage has some great products. I would also suggest their PFM Terry Weave Microfiber towels. Best towels I have ever used.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
BMB063
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The Rupes 15 seems like a really popular choice and everyone that I know loves them!

YouTube | INSTAGRAM | My New Website: Shifted-Perspective.com | DM for discounts on: LUX ANGEL EYES or BPM TUNES
Appreciate 0