E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Should I be worried? Custom software from BMWNA

10-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
e93WhiteonRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 Alpine white with Red

Garage List
2007 335I E93  [0.00]
Should I be worried? Custom software from BMWNA

So my car has been in and out of the shop for over a month. I had studdering, hesitations, losses of power and misfires leading to limp mode - always in one cylinder.

They did a software update, then hpfp, then low pressure fuel sensor, and are now replacing all 6 injectors. Apparently a BMWNA tech was in the shop and they are modifying a software update specifically for my car. I dont know whether to believe it and toss it up as BS, feel good about the fact that they are paying special attention to my vehicle (fat chance), or actually be worried that maybe they are putting some specific tune that is extremely good at sniffing out tunes...

The misfires really only happened when I had my jb3 on map 3, more on map 5, and of course more on map 7. I could see them getting frustrated becuase I have all of these misfire codes and cant replicate the problem.

Any thoughts?
      10-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I have not heard of any CUSTOM program...Its either one version or another so as for them telling you this, I think it BS because they dont have the program to write software at the dealership...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
e93WhiteonRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
I have not heard of any CUSTOM program...Its either one version or another so as for them telling you this, I think it BS because they dont have the program to write software at the dealership...
It "apparently" wasn't from the dealership they were sending my data to BMW and they were going to send a modified software version back. I toally could see them just blowing smoke up my ass, but just in case, I hope it's not some special software that is meant for cars they suspect have a tune and are costing them money.
      10-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #4
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Uh, so the dealer and BMW are on a wild goose chase for miss fires you were having while the tune was on there but the car runs fine without the tune?

Crap like this is what makes it harder for the rest of us to get legit problems fixed. Own up to the fact that modifying the car caused the issue not something BMW did like bad waste gate designs or HPFP's.

Last edited by therealm3; 10-21-2010 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

did you go in with your mods?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Uh, so the dealer and BMW are on a wild goose chase for miss fires you were having while the tune was on there but the car runs fine without the tune?

Crap like this is what makes it harder for the rest of us to get legit problems fixed. Own up to the fact that modifying the car caused the issue not something BMW did.
+1 You could have ran some logs to see where the issue was and worked from there..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:

Crap like this is what makes it harder for the rest of us to get legit problems fixed. Own up to the fact that modifying the car caused the issue not something BMW did like bad waste gate designs or HPFP's.
I doubt the tune is causing the failure. More likely the tune is uncovering a problem rather than causing it. Could be wrong but that's my gut feel on this one...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
dmurray14
The Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: Quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
+1 You could have ran some logs to see where the issue was and worked from there..
+1 sorry, I agree
      10-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
Stanky19
Friends don't let friends early apex!
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Turbo Schnitzel"

Garage List
2007 E92 335I  [0.00]
/\ +1
      10-21-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

Custom software is not gonna happen, they just said that to you to make you feel special and to make you feel that they are doing lots of work just for you. Total BS.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 06:26 PM   #11
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93WhiteonRed View Post
It "apparently" wasn't from the dealership they were sending my data to BMW and they were going to send a modified software version back. I toally could see them just blowing smoke up my ass, but just in case, I hope it's not some special software that is meant for cars they suspect have a tune and are costing them money.
did they finish the car same day? or are they holding it ?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #12
e93WhiteonRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kaccordocoupe View Post
Custom software is not gonna happen, they just said that to you to make you feel special and to make you feel that they are doing lots of work just for you. Total BS.
Yeah that's what I've figured.

What logs should I have been running, with a BT or with my JB3?
      10-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #13
e93WhiteonRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335I E93  [0.00]
Quote:

it happens once in a blue moon on stock, but has been getting progressively worse. What else am I supposed to do? I could do some logs but I literally dropped off my car September 9th and haven't had it for more than three days total ever since. They had to replace my exhaust and totally messed it up and it hangs funny and is crooked blah blah.

BTW dude you tell me to own up but everyone on this god damn forum does the same shit. I'm sure you've gone in for a HPFP and guess what, a tune can make it go out faster so own up to it and pay for it yourself? Ridiculous.
      10-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #14
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

^ I see your point, but sending dealerships on a wild goosechase on errors you get when tuned can really confuse the techs. They are chasing something that they can't diagnose.

I guess you have two options to get this fixed.

1- Go in with the tune, and tell them to fix your errors, since you can show them
2- Deal with it until it starts throwing errors when stock, so they can figure it out.

Your example above doesn't relate to what you are doing. If a HPFP fails with a tune, it will throw a code that points directly to a HPFP replacement and software update. It's also as known problem stock. Your general misfire/limp mode code could mean anything. If it throws a code / hesitates when stock, then you have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
did they call it "custom software" or "software update"?

You and I go to the same dealer and they did a "software update" on mine after a misfire on one of the cylinders.

I still think they kept it an extra day because they want to look to see if I had a tune, which I diddn't.

Quote:
Dude, are you high? BMW has had questionable dealer service for years and it has nothing to do with people modding their cars. Nothing has changed.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #16
ultimateendz
Vengeance is mine, I shall repay
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3, CTS-V coupe

just do some logs like i did and try to find out where the root cause of the issues are coming from....through my logs we figured out my one step colder plugs are probably causing pre-detonation and creating timing dumps during and after shifts....and just follow what the informed members say....even tho some sound somewhat condescending...try and take it for what its worth.....jpslick,clap,dzenno....and then in your case terry of course... they all can read logs very well and help you out
      10-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #17
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e93WhiteonRed View Post
BTW dude you tell me to own up but everyone on this god damn forum does the same shit. I'm sure you've gone in for a HPFP and guess what, a tune can make it go out faster so own up to it and pay for it yourself? Ridiculous.
No, no they don't. There are lots of honest people out there who know you pay to play. Just the other day I read a post here about it.

And I am pretty sure all three major tuners will tell you that a tune does not make the pump go out faster. I think its safe to say given the small user base of tuned cars, they fail more often on stock cars.

Furthermore, I have no tune and if I did, I’d let them know. So save the attitude and false accusations.

I understand your frustration with not having your car and shotty dealer service. Been there done that with my E46 325. 6 trips to the dealer for a surging idle, countless parts replaced, special DME reprogram from NJ, and months of down time all ended up in the head field service engineer for West US (or whatever the heck his title was) telling me its normal vehicle operation. Even the data log I brought in and gave to the service manager still did not matter. Again all this on a stock car. It sucks. I know. But in your case its really not their problem to try and get your car to run right on whatever map of the JB3 you are running. If you throw all these codes stock, then that’s a different story.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #18
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

There aren't enough tuned 335's out there to fail enough fuel pumps to get the warranty extended the way BMW did.

I agree with many here, the OP is being an ass by trying to get BMW to solve a problem caused by a JB.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #19
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddycain View Post
Dude, are you high? BMW has had questionable dealer service for years and it has nothing to do with people modding their cars. Nothing has changed.
Maybe you should put down the pipe. BMW dealers having questionable service has nothing to do with him sending the techs on a wild goose chase for an issue that happens when his car is operating out of the normal range BMW designed it for.

I am not arguing that these motors can do more than stock without issue. Some are better at it than others, and if one has a slightly lesser build that can’t run the same map as another guy without throwing codes but works at stock levels, how is that BMW’s issue to fix under warranty?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #20
shifterboy45
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateendz View Post
just do some logs like i did and try to find out where the root cause of the issues are coming from....through my logs we figured out my one step colder plugs are probably causing pre-detonation and creating timing dumps during and after shifts....and just follow what the informed members say....even tho some sound somewhat condescending...try and take it for what its worth.....jpslick,clap,dzenno....and then in your case terry of course... they all can read logs very well and help you out
sorry, just looking through the thread..

what is "pre-detonation"???

or did you mean something else?
no harm intended, just trying to understand what you saying here.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #21
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
therealm3,

If he took all the bigger mods off (think he did) and he just has software on the car I don't see the sotware causing this. Safe tuners like BMS, GAIC, and Vishnu make their software to perform within acceptable, safe parameters that will not cause issues like THIS when there aren't major mods present (which is the case now). It's not saying it's never happened with just software, but it's very unlikely.

The 335 has shown that the fuel pump and injectors are major weakness on the car without even any mods present. I bet it would exhibit the same behavior with the JB3 off the car.

It sounds to me that your experience with your 325 has caused you to be jaded, but getting worked up about people taking modded cars to the dealership for warranty work is wasted energy. People mod Accords for God's sake....

If you still feel that passionate about the subject maybe you can start an advocacy group that stops warranty work on modded cars. Good luck finding members to join your cause.....
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #22
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Bigdaddy -

Reread this from the original post and you'll understand where those of us who don't agree with the way this is going down are coming from:

"The misfires really only happened when I had my jb3 on map 3, more on map 5, and of course more on map 7. I could see them getting frustrated because I have all of these misfire codes and cant replicate the problem."

I agree that the HPFP, wastegates, and injectors are a weak point of this car as evidenced by the number of problems that are out there on stock tune cars. And I agree that tons of people mod their cars and bring them in warranty work.

Where I disagree with it all is when someone brings in a car that has a problem when its modded, takes it off, and then tells the dealer to fix the now non existent problem. It wastes everyone’s time.
Appreciate 0