E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Now my Air Circulation (Climate Control) Is Not Working...Causes?

04-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Coupeit88
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 08 335 e92 AW

Now my Air Circulation (Climate Control) Is Not Working...Causes?

I've probably had the most hectic two weeks of my life with my e92, from error codes to injectors to fuses....I'm almost getting sick of it, almost.

So fellas have any idea why my air fans for AC or any other type of air is not on? I checked the fuses, they're okay. What am I looking at here?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
335xMD
N54 Crew
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeMakn View Post
I've probably had the most hectic two weeks of my life with my e92, from error codes to injectors to fuses....I'm almost getting sick of it, almost.

So fellas have any idea why my air fans for AC or any other type of air is not on? I checked the fuses, they're okay. What am I looking at here?
I had looked this up before, mine stopped working a few months back. The blower motor is apparently a pretty common issue in these cars (another item added to the list...). Mine actually started working 1 day later and I haven't had an issue since, but I'm essentially just waiting for it to go now

one of many threads: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536783
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
Coupeit88
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks, it seems like it can be a multitude of issues

I guess I have to bring it in somewhere to find out huh
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #4
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

OP mentions error codes, etc. There have been documented cases of multiple error conditions suddenly being reported, and in the end the problem is a battery at the end of its life and needing replacement! Your car is 2008, it is 2015 and I would guess it is the original battery from the factory...7 years old and clearly at the end of its life!

In fact, one guy replaced his battery but did not register it. After a while all these error codes pop up...and he later reports that once he got the battery registered, all these errors went away! http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=32

Last edited by Wilt; 04-23-2015 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
Plug the car into a battery tender overnight. My fan only worked on defrost in the middle of winter, and it ended up being a low battery charge.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 06:56 AM   #6
Coupeit88
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Want to update you guys. It randomly started working again yesterday morning after a week of not working.

We'll see if it continues today.

Wondering if this could help the diagnosis.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 07:56 AM   #7
Coupeit88
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Lol, another update. Not working again.

Yesterday was a cold day, wonder if that had something to do with it?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #8
Sabor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09' e93 335i

I had this problem yesterday as a matter of fact. It stopped working a couple weeks ago and then started to work a few hours later. I thought nothing of it. It totally broke down yesterday so I went to google on it. Its a pretty easy fix at least for me it was. You just need to take the air filter cowls out. Theres a rusted screw you can see in the hole once you take the cowls out. Spray some wd-40 on it and on the bottom of the screw where the motor is (about a spoonful). Let it soak in for a minute. Go start the engine with the AC on and then go back out and use a long screwdriver or something that can reach the motor fan and start manually spinning it. Give it a few push (keep trying if it refuses to move). It took me a couple of minutes and it finally start running. All is well now! Works as new.

P.S. Does your ac lights turn on? if it does than that is the fix. If it doesnt, than I am not sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
Coupeit88
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yes the lights turn on.

Is their a video for the DIY? Or a step by step? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2015, 12:41 PM   #10
Sabor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes the lights turn on.

Is their a video for the DIY? Or a step by step? Thanks
Not really. It is very easy. You know the air filters in the engine bay? theres 6 (8mm) screws you have to remove. Take out the cowl and there are 2 holes (1 on the driver and 1 on the passenger). Look at the passenger side hole. There should be an opening. Take a flashlight and shine in it. You will see a rusted screw which is attached to the fan blower motor. This thing needs to work in order for your air to come out of your vents. Turn on the engine with the AC on, see if this motor is working (which im pretty sure its not). Turn off engine. Go out and use a can of wd-40 with straw. Shine a flashlight in it and spray the wd-40 on top of the rusted screw and some on the bottom of it. Get it nice and soaked up (not too wet, like mention before, just a spoonful). Let it soak for a minute. Turn on engine with ac on. Run back out and shine flashlight in hole. See if the motor is spinning. If it isnt, use a long screwdriver or something that can reach it and start spinning it counter clockwise. Pray that its the motor that is stuck (mines was). If the motor isnt working properly or refuses to work. It can either be the fan blower motor is broken ($160 online) or the FSU ($100 online). both are pretty easy to replace. You will need to take out the glove compartment and underdash (takes about 15-20 minutes) and then remove the fan blower motor and replace with new unit.

Heres a quick diy:

P.S. Try the first method first and hopefully it will work for you.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2015, 11:34 AM   #11
Coupeit88
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Very much appreciated dude, I hope it'll just be some some wd-40 spray for a quick fix also.

The fan started randomly working again last night on the highway and continued for the rest of the night, but it has not worked today.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
Sabor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Very much appreciated dude, I hope it'll just be some some wd-40 spray for a quick fix also.

The fan started randomly working again last night on the highway and continued for the rest of the night, but it has not worked today.
Do it asap. Your motor is getting worn down due to no lubricant. At least yours is moving. Mines wasnt moving at all. i had to literally jumpstart the motor for a whole minute before it decided to spin.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 12:16 PM   #13
Coupeit88
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Have to give you guys another update, just in case someone else is going to have this problem in the future.

I did what Sabor said last Thursday, put WD-40 on the screw, turned the air on and it didn't work. Thought I was all but done and was in the process of calling a BMW friend of mine to get a new blower motor.

But - When I was driving the fan spontaneously turned on again the next day and ever since it has been working!!! I guess the screw needed some lubrication and once the blower motor started running again, the lube corrected the issue and got deep into the problem.

So for future members who have this problem, if you do what Sabor said - Don't be discouraged if it doesn't work right away. Give it some time so the Blower Motor can start itself and see where it goes from there. I've had perfect air circulation since. Thanks again to Sabor!! Saved me 120$
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #14
Coupeit88
Second Lieutenant
Rep

****Update July 2015

I know this is an old thread by now but my AC stopped working again. This time I brought it to a family friend for him to take a look at it and possibly diagnosis, 50 miles away.

He took a look and he said it wasn't the blower motor fan at all, opened it up from under the passenger side and took a closer look. IDK what he did but he moved something and it started working again.

Remember this a family friend but his english is not good, he tried telling me that the fan is fine but it has something to do with the wiring/harness. It get's too hot (makes sense, AC stopped working during the heat wave) and it stops responding.

Now I have no idea what it means, IDK what he did but it is working now. He told me just to not but the fan on full blast and keep it low. He said fixing it would be a major headache.

Does ANYONE know WTF he is talking about?!?! Lol
Appreciate 0