Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Are winter tires actually more dangerous on dry days than all-seasons?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-10-2006, 10:18 AM   #1
bsjd00
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Are winter tires actually more dangerous on dry days than all-seasons?

I am planning on an 18" summer and 17" winter setup for my 330xi. After researching on this board and sites like Tire Rack, it seems that the best setup for the winter would be to put on winter tires, even on the 330xi. I know that winter tires will outperform all-season tires when there is snow on the ground, something we do deal with in Connecticut.

However, I seem to find conflicting information on how winter tires will perform on the many days during the winter that there isn't snow on the ground. Although some articles disagree, a lot of what I've read indicates that the winter tires will take longer to brake the car and will also slow down emergency maneuvers as compared to all-seasons.

I am hoping someone on this board can clear up whether this is really true, or point me to a definitive article. It seems silly to put all-seasons on for the winter, but I also don't want to put winter tires on and then find myself in an accident on a dry, winter day.

In other words, by putting winter tires on I will be looking to keep myself out of an accident on a snowy winter day, but am I actually increasing my chances of getting into an accident on a dry winter day? (In Connecticut, we have heavy snow maybe 10 days per year.)

Any feedback or details of your experiences would be GREATLY appreciated. As many of you know, a lot of us on this board obsess about these things!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #2
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

It depends on what tires you get, but in general, unless you get a heavy duty snow tire, it will work fine in dry conditions. They have excellent rated performance snows for dry and wet conditions on tirerack.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

My understanding is that Winter Tires actually have better grip in cool, dry weather than all-seasons due to the silica-compound rubber that is used... the silica rubber remains soft even when very cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
noflash
Captain Caveman
Rep
Drives: '06 325eyeyiyi

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I have non-sport winter tires and they're less than stellar on dry roads. It has been suggested to me (and it makes sense) to get a High-Performance Winter Tire which acts a bit more like a UHP all-season by giving up a little snow traction.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Yaajer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ActiveHybrid 3, X5

i have 18" pirelli snowsport 240's on and dry pavement driving has been excellent. I've taken the tires as fast as 120 on some occasions. Just make sure to check your tire pressure.
      01-10-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

For winter, I would highly recommend 17" Dunlop M3 RFT. After a break-in period, they perform very well in the snow and in the wet (which we have so much of here in Vancouver). In dry conditions, they also perform well, but, of course, not as well as summer performance tires (18" Bridgestone RE050). But, keep in mind, neither summer tires nor all-seasons will perform well in cold conditions. Take a look at Tirerack's survey data, and you'll see that the Dunlops are the #1 rated winter performance tire. They are also very quiet up to 140 kph (84mph).
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2006, 12:42 PM   #7
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Well ive had my blizzaks on for a couple weeks now, and as you know, here in southern CT, we have seen nothing lower than 45 degree temps! this is frustrating considering i just put the tires on. all i want to do is go rip it in the snow!
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjd00
I am planning on an 18" summer and 17" winter setup for my 330xi. After researching on this board and sites like Tire Rack, it seems that the best setup for the winter would be to put on winter tires, even on the 330xi. I know that winter tires will outperform all-season tires when there is snow on the ground, something we do deal with in Connecticut.

However, I seem to find conflicting information on how winter tires will perform on the many days during the winter that there isn't snow on the ground. Although some articles disagree, a lot of what I've read indicates that the winter tires will take longer to brake the car and will also slow down emergency maneuvers as compared to all-seasons.

I am hoping someone on this board can clear up whether this is really true, or point me to a definitive article. It seems silly to put all-seasons on for the winter, but I also don't want to put winter tires on and then find myself in an accident on a dry, winter day.

In other words, by putting winter tires on I will be looking to keep myself out of an accident on a snowy winter day, but am I actually increasing my chances of getting into an accident on a dry winter day? (In Connecticut, we have heavy snow maybe 10 days per year.)

Any feedback or details of your experiences would be GREATLY appreciated. As many of you know, a lot of us on this board obsess about these things!

The executive summary answer to your question is NO
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #9
espo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3
My understanding is that Winter Tires actually have better grip in cool, dry weather than all-seasons due to the silica-compound rubber that is used... the silica rubber remains soft even when very cold.
The other thing to remember though is that the same thing that keeps them soft in cold temperatures will also make them wear alot in hotter weather. Something to keep in mind.

The only problem that I could see with winter tires in dry weather would be with the "studded" tires. I could see them having some problems on dry pavement esp at highway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I have Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 winter performance 17" tires on my E90. I plan to have them on until first week of April, I did my homework and spoke to people that had these on dry winter road and said there is no issues. Ive have even taken them at high speeds.

Tirerack ratings and feedbacks were based on dry and wet and snow conditions, so Im satisfied with that, and for the time I have been driving them, I couldnt even tell I have winter tires on, for it handles, feels and performs like All-Seasons.

The only warning I got for folks was to remove them after the session for warm/hot roads will tear/eat these tires up!
Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0