E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth kit upgrade to CMGS ; )

12-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #1
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Thumbs up Meth kit upgrade to CMGS ; )

I finally made the move. Tired of arguing and battling over meth flow ammounts, to settle the score I upgraded my Labonte Progressive Meth controller to CMGS.

I was really happy with what the Labonte controller did for me but it was time to get a flow sensor, gauge and I am getting ready to lose my BMS gauge to JB4 so CMGS was the logical decision. For just a few dollars more than a Labonte Flow sensor and gauge, I could have a CMGS, monitor flow in real time and see boost off the throttle body as well.

I, of course, picked up the flow sensor as well

My install took a few days... as I didn't have a whole day to invest at one time. I ran my wire first from front to back, I used my old meth line but switched out all the old wireing for new. Hooked up the pump and the gauge the next day, and took a final day to trouble shoot some stuff. I got one of my wires crossed, and my flow sensors weren't making good contact at first (all my fault).

I can do it again now in my sleep and I know how I will improve on my next install as well. I actually used meth line as boost line so I wouldn't have to worry about it getting pinched on the way through the fire wall. I was worried at first about the seals behind the DV and it but the guage is spot on with my BMS gauge all the way to 10 psi.

I love my new gauge and I was hoping that the controller would make the car faster.... but meth is meth... and this 70/30 mix is going make me depend on excellent protection against knock and detonation so I can turn the boost way up! I am used to bite of a 90/10 mix so maps 10-13 here I come...

I am happy I made the change, I am sure that Dave will stick with me until all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed.

Thanks CoolingMist for the quick delivery, great support, amazingly crafted controller and gauge.

Ill be putting in another one for my buddy in two weeks.

Last edited by M3 Eater; 12-07-2010 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Since there is no kill section here at e90... I may as well tell the story of the EVO that spit fire at me.

I am in the spot that I do most of my logging and I see 4 lights in the rear view two yellow and two white. They flew up on my 6 and so I knew this guy was going to be my first victim. He blew by my and in seconds I was behind him doing about 90. I was seeing how the map switching worked so I was on map 5 and meth map 8 on Jb3 but my flow sensor was not connected properly yet so I never changed maps. The kit was working though I just didn't get a map switch or flow reading but out of nowhere I see a ball of fire come from the back of this EVO..... ah hhhh hell. I pull up next to him leisurely, scope the HKS sticker on the window, the large rear fin and some extra gauges in the windsheild. Knowing I am in sleeper mode with just a little carbon fiber and some blacked out wheels, I politely let him spool up. I let off the throttle for a blow off to let him know i meant business and he gunned it. It was 2 seconds we were together and it was like someone pulled a parachute behind him. I had him by 5 or 6 lengths within 15 seconds when I let off as to face to face him and collect my props. He exited in shame before we could exchange glances again.

I love my european touring sedan : )

I have my meth map switching all figured out now so I am more than ready for a rematch!
      12-08-2010, 09:49 PM   #3
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
So, have my new kit running. I have switched to a aftermarket charge pipe and a CM 10 and my first timing logs show some KR events... Common as the system adapts.

I am running 70/30 to protect the flow sensor and as I feared my timing is low after my shift out of third going into 4th. I have lowered my min spray to 6.8 and my max 9.2 to help keep things cool and there are no huge dips... there are dips. My injection point is in between the DVs on the ER charge pipe and I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this kit and this pipes injection point.

I was injecting at the same spot with a DO 12 internal nozzle and that thing was amazing and so was my timing. I was spraying 90/10 as well and i think if I went to that mix that the CM10 would work at least as well if not better but I am trying to save my flow sensor from an early demise.

I am running map 8 for now and timing is starting below 5! and running up to about 14. It is a nice steady climb through 4th with no dips but I am working to get it up.
      12-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #4
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

That timing sounds about right
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
M3 Eater
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Im used to a flat line just above 10 degrees of ignition..

this below 5 stuff after the shift has got to change...

if it was say 8 running up to 14 I wouldn't worry too much, but I had a dip in 3rd from 10 to about 7 then it climbed up again. It used to happen when my boost would dip below my max spray point, I would dial it down some and it would go away... or I would add meth to the mix. Well I am down to 9 psi on my max setting already and I can't go richer that 70/30 now with my flow sensor...

I was thinking about rigging an internal nozzle in my charge pipe.... see if that would help. I was just hoping since I dropped some fresh coin on a complete system, charge pipe, controller, nozzle, flow sensor... that it should start close to perfect and get better. I had better timing with no flow sensor, and my stock pipe that I tapped with a DO adapter. It took me maybe 30 runs to dial it in just right... I think I have made 3 or 4 wot passes that I have logged since I got the kit up and running. I should be driving right now! Im going to drive a bit... 20 or so more wot logs and see if it gradually gets better with no alterations. I think the DME is going to catch on here and begin to fuel where it needs to, and lean out where it needs to. That fact that my timing is up around 14 at the end of 3rd and 4th makes me think that I have enough meth in the mix and when I am at full flow I can support the boost, Its just early on to mid way through a gear where I see 2-4 degree dips at times and after a shift starting low and gradually building up.