E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > More windshield gasket to remove?

07-24-2022, 01:49 PM   #1
ScottGator
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi

More windshield gasket to remove?

The gasket across the top of my 09 328xi windshield needed replacing. I ordered the part and cleaned out the old cracked stuff. I gave it a good vacuuming and cleaning, and thought i was good to replace the gasket. But the newly created channel didn't look big enough for the new gasket and now I'm wondering if I need to pull out more of what was possibly the old gasket, or maybe what I'm seeing isn't the gasket? There seems to be more solid stuff, with some metal, right up against the windshield glass? I started to pull out more than stopped because it wasn't all cracked like the stuff that came out easy. Do i need to pull or more? Thanks. Signed, Frustrate Guy Terrible at DIY

Click link to see pix please

View post on imgur.com

Last edited by ScottGator; 07-24-2022 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Pix link didn't add
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 10:52 AM   #2
Dan_H
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330i

The metal piece needs to come out. It is from the old weather strip. Be careful removing it -- there is a danger of cracking the windshield.

The metal is a U shaped piece. I used a metal pick to grab the metal channel so I could pull it backwards off the windshield. The hardest part was getting it started. Once you have a few inches free then rest comes out easy.

I had a hard time starting it from one end, so I moved to the other and it came out much easier.

Make sure to really vacuum/clean the area before trying to reinstall. There is a gap under the top edge of the windshield where those rubber remnants can build up and will prevent the new one from going in.

When installing the new one use a LOT of Windex on the glass and roof as a lubricant. This will allow you to "slide" the piece back and forth to get a good fit.

FCP has a great video showing the process.

Appreciate 2
      07-25-2022, 01:41 PM   #3
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

You will notice that the gasket has an inverted C shape, it's all about preparation and cleaning out any debris. Start the new gasket on the top and middle of the windshield and push the metal as far under the glass as possible. Be careful to pull the adhesive tape off as little as possible as you go around so you can get maximum hold, especially at the two corners. I will be redoing the rear glass again after six years, thankfully the part is not expensive.