E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i vs Mustang GT ?

03-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #67
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!
Spain
Rep
Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboarder109 View Post
Personally I'd stay away from anything American. Especially with all the trouble Ford and GM are having. +1 for the 135i.
Americans... lol
      03-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #68
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakjack23 View Post
Since when is Ford in trouble? They haven't taken anything from the Gov yet right?
That does not mean they are immune to the risk of bankruptcy. They are solvent without help because of the Line of credit that they secured by mortgaging their assets some time ago. Although they still have available money from that avenue, i would not call them a normal "healthy" business till their North American Operations actually stop hemorrhaging money.

It still is a fight with no clear end in sight.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #69
bspaceman
The Last Beautiful Free Soul On This Planet
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 335i coupe

No problems here.
(knocks on wood)

Jet Black/Black Leather 335i coupe (totaled courtesy of the pizza kid
Sport/Premi/Comft/Nav - iDrive/Sirius/iPod/OEM Body kit, M Sideskirts, M deck lip, Miro 366s on Nitto 555 NTs, Matte Black Grills, Valentine 1 hardwire, 35% tint, BMS Lighting, BMS computer magic, BMS Dual Cone
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #70
BigDonkeySchlong
Banned
Rep
Drives: Grandpa Cruiser

Buy neither, they both suck.

Get yourself a nice civic SI or look into a Ford Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #71
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDonkeySchlong View Post
Buy neither, they both suck.

Get yourself a nice civic SI or look into a Ford Mondeo
What, this car?

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #72
Herknav
Won't drink the koolaid
United_States
Rep
Drives: blown and all natural

These sorta threads make me laugh... unless the OP wasn't looking for a non-biased sample... It is a BMW forum after all, of course he will get the overwhelming response eh got. If he posted on a Mustang site, he would have gotten just the opposite.

The OP is considering the 2010 stang, partly because he has been driving one like it (different engine, but same insides pretty much) and has NOT had a problem with it. Retro inside because of retro outside. And I know all about the slight redesign, so don't tell me they are all that different.

He is considering a used 335i because he has heard they are good performers and have a reputation.

It all boils down to what the OP wants. Test drive them both, several times. Do it in different conditions. Bring someone along for both. See if the dealer will let you take it for an hour or so.

That way you can decide if the car is too noisey or sounds amazing, if the car is to numb or drives like a skate, if the seats are comfy or too constricting, if the dash is hard to read or easy to read... it all comes down to his preference... and he is a TOTAL FOOL if he makes his decision based on an internet forum instead of his personal experience. It is too large a purchase to be that dumb. Regret is the single most expensive emotion.

I have them both, I like them both.
      03-05-2009, 09:27 PM   #73
EpicE92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V6 Mustang

"I have them both, I like them both. " For some reason after reading all the other things u said in your post that just made me . But yea i stated earlier that i would definitely test drive them both before purchasing.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #74
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Without suspension mods, the agility of the Stang reminds me of a hippopotamus with a really fat butt. Or maybe a rhinocerous. I dunno.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #75
DenverJayhawk
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

People dissing Ford must not have driven a late Euro model recently. They are quite nice cars. I rented a Focus in London and it was a blast. Far superior to anything they make here in the US. Thank god they are bringing it to the US next year.

330i, Black Sapphire, 6MT, Sport, Active Steering, Flux Capacitor
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 10:34 AM   #76
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
People dissing Ford must not have driven a late Euro model recently. They are quite nice cars. I rented a Focus in London and it was a blast. Far superior to anything they make here in the US. Thank god they are bringing it to the US next year.
Yup American ignorance at its best! Just what I spent three tours in the sandbox to defend!! Yay!!

The fact that people here don't understand what a great car the Euro Focus is, or the Mondeo has been for so long, just goes to show how stuck we are in our little bubble over here. Even the new Fiesta is poised to make waves. It would help if you guys would pick up a "Car" or "Top Gear" magazine once in a while. But, then again, those mags are chock full of articles that are more than a page long, and might take some sort of reading comprehension to fully digest, so maybe that's a bit much to ask of some of you....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #77
BigDonkeySchlong
Banned
Rep
Drives: Grandpa Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
Yup American ignorance at its best! Just what I spent three tours in the sandbox to defend!! Yay!!

The fact that people here don't understand what a great car the Euro Focus is, or the Mondeo has been for so long, just goes to show how stuck we are in our little bubble over here. Even the new Fiesta is poised to make waves. It would help if you guys would pick up a "Car" or "Top Gear" magazine once in a while. But, then again, those mags are chock full of articles that are more than a page long, and might take some sort of reading comprehension to fully digest, so maybe that's a bit much to ask of some of you....

LOL

Im an american and I understand exactly what your saying.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #78
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
Most don't realize that Mazdaspeed 3 uses the current Euro ford focus chassis or that the mustang GT is in a faster base class for time trials than the 335

Ford has solid products on the market these days, but years of crap products and bad quality have really damaged the brand
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 02:14 PM   #79
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

To all you fanboys, these cars do not look like crap now, do they?

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #80
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
To all you fanboys, these cars do not look like crap now, do they?
The crap thing is that we'll never see them on this side of the pond. It's the ultimate in ironic insults.
      03-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #81
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
The crap thing is that we'll never see them on this side of the pond. It's the ultimate in ironic insults.
Yeah, but the fiesta is actually making the transistion as a 2010 model soon. All these cars tend to come here dressed as offerings from other makes for some reason.

The C30 T5 is a reskinned Focus
The Mazda5 is based on the C Max
The XC60 is a close Kuga relative

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #82
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

I owned an 07 GT with a 5 speed and currently own a Jan 08 build 335i coupe with an AT.

First, let me agree with those that told suggested a long test ride in both. Do it. You can't tell anything from a short test drive. They are very different cars.

GT Pros
  • Loud (I had a Roush "off road" exhaust--no other mods)
  • LSD
  • Retro (good and bad)
  • V8--something about that V8 sound
  • Solid build
  • Solid gearbox and clutch
  • Raw "brute force" muscle car experience
  • Lots of mods available

GT Cons
  • Handling-no comparison to the BMW. Even with a bone stock engine the car felt overpowered for its handling capabilities. Straight line--ok, any steering involved--kinda scary
  • Squat on WOT from low speeds
  • Loud--exhaust was fun to start with but boy does it wear on you
  • Interior--solid but cheap--pretty sad instrument cluster/display/info (comparing to my other Ford which is an Escape)
  • Seats--god, my back was killing me after an hour in that car
  • Body flex (car needs to be stiffer)

335i Pros
  • Seats--my back is happy (can't enjoy a car with a screaming back)
  • Handling, handling, handling!
  • No worries about power/handling. Little squat (compared to the GT), no worries about control of the car with native power. (In fact, no worries about that even with--ahem--"upgrades" as compared to the GT)
  • Interior quality
  • Climate control
  • Good set of mods available
  • AT is actually pretty good--but I do wish I'd gone with the MT
  • Solid--little flex compared to GT

335i Cons
  • Cost (not such an issue at the moment though)
  • Potential issues with high pressure fuel pump (none for me--yet.)
  • Rattles - believe it or not the 335 has more rattles than the GT (dealer has been able to help this--a little)

Remember these are my opinions and what matters are your opinions. It all depends on what you're looking for and what fits your style. Some of the handling issues with the GT can be addressed with Saleen or Roush suspension upgrades--that will never get around that solid rear axle--but it can address some of the other problems.

Bottom line, do extended test drives in both cars. As noted earlier they're very different machines--it's not a "which is best" decision as much as "which is best for me" decision. It's a buyer's market right now--and if one dealer or seller won't let you do a long test drive then just move on.

Last edited by Finnegan; 03-06-2009 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 05:10 PM   #83
EpicE92
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: V6 Mustang

Everyone .IT'S OFFICIAL. I drove my friends e92 335i coupe with jb2, single cone intake today 6mt. And omg i loved it. First time i ever drove it . I lovee how the power comes on. The sound of the intakes/ exhaust is intoxicating. It doesn't feel like raw v8 muscle but something about it just keeps you coming back for more. Wow exceeded my expectations . I cant imagine how a jb3 car feels. Now only like 2 more months!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #84
holson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enterprise Rent-A-Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicE92 View Post
Everyone .IT'S OFFICIAL. I drove my friends e92 335i coupe with jb2, single cone intake today 6mt. And omg i loved it. First time i ever drove it . I lovee how the power comes on. The sound of the intakes/ exhaust is intoxicating. It doesn't feel like raw v8 muscle but something about it just keeps you coming back for more. Wow exceeded my expectations . I cant imagine how a jb3 car feels. Now only like 2 more months!!!!!
hah awesome! congrats on making the decision

besides like i said, you've had a mustang before, try something different!

my next car will be american, the corvette, i wanted one but i chickened out and got the more sensible 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #85
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
I had a last gen Mustang GT and traded it for a 335i. The GT was fun and easy to work on, V8 sounded good, etc. But even though it had that muscle car attitude it was not faster than the stock 335i, even with the usual bolt-ons. The hood started to shake above 60 mph, it didn't feel stable at highway speeds or even worst in corners, interior was made of cheap plastics and buzzing everywhere, etc.

That said the GT was more fun, it just gives you that raw feeling where the 335i is smooth and quiet. I used to cruise with the GT for the heck of it, going through the gears with the hurst, enjoying the melody of the V8. The 335i is a great car, well built, well balanced, etc, but it has no "soul".

I might keep the 335i in the long term, but there will be most likely another muscle car in my future.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #86
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
The hood started to shake above 60 mph
Wow

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Appreciate 0