E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > CIC MP3s play out of order off flash drive

05-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i 6MT

CIC MP3s play out of order off flash drive

Hi all,

I figured this out before but don't remember what I did... anyway I have a flash drive (actually a SanDisk 64GB MicroSDXC in an adapter) plugged into the console USB slot, but it works) with all my MP3s saved on it. I just ripped some more CDs that I picked up @ goodwill and the used music store and when I went to play them in the car one of them (American Beauty by Grateful Dead if you care) I happened to be familiar with and knew the correct order of the tracks on that album and they played out of order.

All tags are ID3v2.3
file names are e.g. "01 Box Of Rain.mp3"
File structure is Artist->Album->Files
e.g. full path of the above track would be

Music/Grateful Dead/American Beauty/01 Box Of Rain.mp3

single digit track numbers (in the tag field) have a leading zero, e.g. track 1 is "01" and track 10 is "10"

the weird thing is that the track that played first off that album was track 9!

What am I doing wrong?

How does the CIC order tracks on an album? Does it read the tags or does it order by filename?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, I think I have figured out something...

the tracks are playing in alphabetical order, either by track name or else by the filename but disregarding the numbers.

Older files that I believe I tagged correctly are working correctly; I can't spot the differences between the two sets of files.

Anyone have any input (please help?)

The ONLY thing that I see that I've done differently than previously was that previously I was using EAC to rip directly to .mp3; for this last batch I decided to use EAC rip to .flac on an external HDD and then use FLACSquisher to create another directory for .mp3s - my thought process being that if I ever set up a media server that I would like to have everything in .flac so I might as well get with the program now and start doing them. BUT I see no difference in file name or tagging conventions so I'm not sure what to do.

thanks much!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, I'm not sure what I did... decided to brute force it and fired up EasyTAG (Linux, I find it easier to use than Windows even if EAC and FLACSquisher will only run under Windows) and just let it apply automatic corrections to all the tags of the new files, recopied them to the SDXC and tried it again, all is well now.

So now I have the SDXC in the PC and am applying automatic corrections to ALL of my music files as I have stuff on there that I haven't even listened to yet, want to make sure that I'm listening to albums in their intended order...

I still wish I knew where I messed up but I guess I will just add this to my protocol for rips from now on

1) Rip to FLAC using EAC
2) use FLACSquisher to generate .mp3 files
3) run the files through EasyTAG to apply whatever corrections need to be made to them
4) copy to SDXC "thumb drive" and reinstall in car
5) rock out with etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I've noticed this on a lot of files that have been converted from FLAC. I'm not sure why but no matter how much I try to edit the ID tag it always plays in alphabetical order.
      05-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
N8N
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

dunno what I did, but EasyTAG seems to have fixed it.

If it would help anyone, I'll try to see what my automatic corrections are and post them up... I know I developed them to make my files compatible with WMP, Exaile, and the JVC head unit that I put in my Jeep. Those files ended up working fine in the Bimmer so I never really worried about any peculiarities of the CIC.
Appreciate 0