E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > I share mine you share yours? Tattoos!

09-24-2012, 12:43 AM   #89
JMX328
Insert Something Witty.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Sleeves are great...if you're in the circus.
I'm working on half-sleeves (in addition to a sole tattoo on my inner, upper forearm), and I'm not in the circus; I'm a Vice President/Area Executive Officer for one of the largest banking corporations in the world.

While I'm not a fan of over-the-top, gaudy tattoos, simply because someone has them does not mean they're likely to end up in the circus... so let's not try to be quite so judgmental, shall we?

Us tattooed folks have no issues with the non-tattooed folks. I suggest the same level of respect be shared across both groups.

You know, just to think logically here, even though we usually can't have that in this world inhabited by psychotic apes.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #90
kwike92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP

scary stickers.
      09-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #91
carve
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMX328 View Post
I'm working on half-sleeves (in addition to a sole tattoo on my inner, upper forearm), and I'm not in the circus; I'm a Vice President/Area Executive Officer for one of the largest banking corporations in the world.

While I'm not a fan of over-the-top, gaudy tattoos, simply because someone has them does not mean they're likely to end up in the circus... so let's not try to be quite so judgmental, shall we?

Us tattooed folks have no issues with the non-tattooed folks. I suggest the same level of respect be shared across both groups.

You know, just to think logically here, even though we usually can't have that in this world inhabited by psychotic apes.
I didn't mean you had to be in the circus or you'd wind up in the circus- it's just that is one of the few work environments where freakish body modifications might lead to a career enhancement.

How can a sleeve...covering an entire body segment in tattoo... be anything other over the top or gaudy?

Of course you don't have problems with non-tattooed folks. Why would I respect a decision that's so short sighted though? I respect your right to make it, of course- I just don't respect the decision itself. What's respectful about it? I respect decisions that are well though out and beneficial- not short-sighted and disfiguring. E.g. in wearing sunscreen vs. embedding ink in your skin, the sunscreen is the decision that I respect.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #92
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
I didn't mean you had to be in the circus or you'd wind up in the circus- it's just that is one of the few work environments where freakish body modifications might lead to a career enhancement.

How can a sleeve...covering an entire body segment in tattoo... be anything other over the top or gaudy?

Of course you don't have problems with non-tattooed folks. Why would I respect a decision that's so short sighted though? I respect your right to make it, of course- I just don't respect the decision itself. What's respectful about it? I respect decisions that are well though out and beneficial- not short-sighted and disfiguring. E.g. in wearing sunscreen vs. embedding ink in your skin, the sunscreen is the decision that I respect.
Luls if you think anyone here cares about your respect
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 02:47 AM   #93
JMX328
Insert Something Witty.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
That's a very, very good point.

I'd make my reply, but clearly we're not going to get anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #94
carve
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
JMX indicated he cared.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #95
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M Sport Coupe

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]
Hey guys, I did some digging and found a video of Carve getting a tattoo, wanting to be cool like his buddies... I think it explains why he hates tattoos so much.. I'll just let the video explain..

2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #96
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer84 View Post
Hey guys, I did some digging and found a video of Carve getting a tattoo, wanting to be cool like his buddies... I think it explains why he hates tattoos so much.. I'll just let the video explain..
I had expected Carve to be a bit older...
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #97
carve
Major
Rep

It was a few years back. I find it very expressive and meaningful, and I'm glad this stupid picture will be embedded in my skin for the rest of my days :P

LOL- can you believe someone actually got that!? They must've REALLY liked that sketch!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #98
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]
Quote:
It was a few years back. I find it very expressive and meaningful, and I'm glad this stupid picture will be embedded in my skin for the rest of my days :P

LOL- can you believe someone actually got that!? They must've REALLY liked that sketch!
I laughed my ass off when I found out someone actually did it... great show though.
2010 335i M Sport Coupe -- Black Sapphire Metallic|Coral Red|Loaded|JB4 Stage 3|BMS DCI|VRSF DPs|Camaross 6k AE|Performance Gloss Black Grilles|CF Performance Spoiler|CF Quad Diffuser|Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips|CF Roundels|Smoked Reflectors|Red Cyba Scoops|193s Painted Lamborghini Metallic Dark Gray
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #99
JMX328
Insert Something Witty.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
JMX indicated he cared.
Indication is not always actuality.

I love debating - whether or not I give two shits if the other cares, itself, is debatable.

Besides... I'm a banking exec. If I actually took to heart people's criticisms, and cared what everyone thought, especially the protesters that have shown up at my office tower... then I'd definitely have problems trying to deal with society.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #100
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

MOAR! I know there are more than just a couple people on here with tattoos...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #101
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]

I posted this on the other thread but I will post it here too. The frog represents my mother, the foo dog is for my father, and the big flowers are for each of my brothers. There is another one on the inside of my bicep that you can't see in this photo (3 brothers). It wraps all the way around my arm other than my arm pit. I have a nautical star over each collar bone that represents guidance and protection, as well as the Red Sox logo on my left calf and a chinese symbol that says brother near my right shoulder blade (me and a few friends got it done before we parted ways after high school, it was my first tattoo).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #102
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by minigearhead View Post
that's beautiful, every how much time do you have to retouch it?
No touch ups yet, it is just about one year old. All together it took about 24 hours. I had four 5 hour sessions and one 4 hour finish/touch up session.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 05:11 PM   #103
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Solid
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #104
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
One more thing- for those saying I'm the kind of guy who'll get all over individuals for their choices or would go to a tattoo forum just to rip on people: I have a date with sleeve-girl tomorrow. LOL...never said this before, but I hope she wears a sweater :P

She's great, but the chance of anything long-term is probably, say, 15% of what it would've been otherwise. They're THAT unattractive, and attraction is important (even though the style matches the contemporary-asian decor of my house- LOL) In other words, she'd have to be damn near perfect except for the sleeves. When she told me she had them, she said something to the effect of "it's not typically what most guys picture when they think of the kind of girl they'd like to bring home to meet their mom". She's absolutely right. She's the same age as me.
Can I ask you a question. Why would you go out with her if something so obvious is so distasteful to you? In your words 15% chance of a long term resltionship or could we agree to call it a productive relationship. Seems hypcritical to me and screams that you're in it for one reason.

On topic I have 12, I am older mid 50's had them for years, first I was 19yo. Regrets nope, anything visible in the buisness world nope, caused me any problems nope , a few laughs when people say some pretty ingorant things about them and people who have them but nothing I can't just laugh it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #105
MStar
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

A small tatoo or 2 on a girl in an inconspicuous part of the body is cool.. but everytime I see excessive tatoos on a girl i think.."whore" ..real ladies are not tatted up.my 2cents
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #106
Bimmer84
Guardian of the Night
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 335i E92  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStar View Post
A small tatoo or 2 on a girl in an inconspicuous part of the body is cool.. but everytime I see excessive tatoos on a girl i think.."whore" ..real ladies are not tatted up.my 2cents
Depends on your definition of "real lady". Everyone will have their own version of that, and mine is tatted up pretty good... She works as a Labratory technician at a pediactrics center, owns her house and car, and has her priorities straight.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #107
carve
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Can I ask you a question. Why would you go out with her if something so obvious is so distasteful to you? In your words 15% chance of a long term resltionship or could we agree to call it a productive relationship. Seems hypcritical to me and screams that you're in it for one reason.
Of course

1) She's otherwise fun and attractive in many ways- especially when she's covered up and I can forget about them
2) I'm upfront- not hypocritical. I told her my opinion on tattoos right after she said she had them. I was VERY clear, saying many of the things I've said here (shortsighted...limiting....body not a canvas....don't see the point of 'em, etc.)
3) I told her right from the start I'm not really looking for anything long term at the moment (although I didn't mention how severely extensive tattoos reduce the possibility). Besides- in the spring she'll be moving around a lot for a year anyway for her medical program
4) To be open-minded and broaden my horizons
5) She's intelligent and bold with many similar views and interests- we have lots of fun

Beyond me initially making it very clear how much I dislike tattoos, I haven't brought them up once...but she has. When she first mentioned she had them, she said she's "very dedicated to her body art". Now...I think that maybe like some others posting here, it's because she doesn't have much choice anymore. Since then, she said she finished her sleeve a couple of years ago despite starting them 8 years ago...because she thought it would look better than leaving them unfinished. She finds them very limiting (especially when we she wants to wear a nice dress and look formal, which we've done- her idea not mine), and doesn't like the assumptions a lot of people make about her. She's thinking of removing a few smaller/simpler ones that are more difficult to cover up. She told me before she even knew my opinion on tattoos that "a lot of people can't see past the ink". I can...but why would she WANT anyone to? She got them to look at- not past. Learning a little more about her story, she got them at a more volatile and directionless time in her life when she clearly didn't have the self respect/esteem that she has now, as one might expect. I don't give her a hard time about it. Like I said- I never bring it up.

She likes me a lot, too. It's really too bad. I have a great time with her, but without that initial strong attraction, the relationship just doesn't have the potential it otherwise might. I also want a woman I feel proud to show off- not one I'd sometimes find embarassing or feel like I'd have to make excuses for.

Anyway, it's really reinforced my thoughts on tattoos. Don't get 'em, ladies.

Last edited by carve; 10-30-2012 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #108
carve
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStar View Post
but everytime I see excessive tatoos on a girl i think.."whore" ..real ladies are not tatted up.
I can confirm that this is a VERY common reaction to heavily tattooed girls. Not sure why anyone would want that.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #109
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Quote:
I also want a woman I feel proud to show off - not one I'd sometimes find embarrassing or feel like I'd have to make excuses for.
Um...
      10-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #110
jb's335
Big Boost Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335

Wow this thread has gotten a little too...revealing

Anyway back to the whole point of the thread. Anybody else?
Appreciate 0