Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Over holiday travel had to get two no name tires. What should I do?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #1
joepa150
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Titanium Silver 328i

Over holiday travel had to get two no name tires. What should I do?

I had to travel about 1600 miles on this holiday season. My rear tires appeared to have thread on them before my trip. After 800 miles the rear tires were almost bald. They were OEM RFT.

On the way home it rained hard. The rear of the car was all over the place even at 40mph. With 250 miles left, I was forced to pull off the interstate and find a place to buy tires. I was in the middle of nowhere and had to go to the only tire shop there. Luckily they had 255/40/17 tires for the rear. They did not have any tires for the front.

So I bought Nexen N3000 tires for the rear. I paid $250 installed. The rest of the drive went well in the rain. I was going to buy 4 new tires when I got back from my trip (Cont DWS or something similar). Now I don't know what to do. I have 2 tires on the rear that seem to be ok but I wanted 4 all season tires. The guy at the shop said to just wear the front tires out then replace them BUT I don't really want to have run flats in the front and non runflats in the rear.

Should I just replace all 4 with the tires I want?
Should I leave as is and replace front two when the wear out?
Should I replace the front 2 with same as rear Nexen?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

How much tread do you have in the front?
How is the car driving as-is?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
joepa150
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 Titanium Silver 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
How much tread do you have in the front?
How is the car driving as-is?
Thanks for the quick response.

The car drives much better now than it did with the bald run flats in the rear. It now feels stable while driving in the rain and it feels like the ride isn't as harsh when going over bumps. Also before my car would pull/follow grooves and ruts in the road. It does that less also.

Thread depth is more than 2/32" (covered Lincolns top head on penny). I would guess maybe 3/32" or 4/32". It probably will need to be replaced this year but they are far from the condition that my rear tires were in. They were slicks.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
Nitrous Garage
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i / E92 328i / E60 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
I had to travel about 1600 miles on this holiday season. My rear tires appeared to have thread on them before my trip. After 800 miles the rear tires were almost bald. They were OEM RFT.

On the way home it rained hard. The rear of the car was all over the place even at 40mph. With 250 miles left, I was forced to pull off the interstate and find a place to buy tires. I was in the middle of nowhere and had to go to the only tire shop there. Luckily they had 255/40/17 tires for the rear. They did not have any tires for the front.

So I bought Nexen N3000 tires for the rear. I paid $250 installed. The rest of the drive went well in the rain. I was going to buy 4 new tires when I got back from my trip (Cont DWS or something similar). Now I don't know what to do. I have 2 tires on the rear that seem to be ok but I wanted 4 all season tires. The guy at the shop said to just wear the front tires out then replace them BUT I don't really want to have run flats in the front and non runflats in the rear.

Should I just replace all 4 with the tires I want?
Should I leave as is and replace front two when the wear out?
Should I replace the front 2 with same as rear Nexen?
If I was in your situation I would sell the two fairly new rear tires and buy 4 brand new DWS tires. They are much better for the winter time and you wont have to worry about run flats anymore.
Appreciate 0