E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > a battle as old as time itself

02-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #23
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo JB View Post
Also bear in mind that you aren't going to get many old farts participating in web based BMW forums
except for some of the 50yr old + people on e90post... who knows about in the aussie section though...
      02-19-2007, 06:25 PM   #24
chem0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46

starship enterprise is a poor man's death star

gg end of topic

E46Fanatics.com
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #25
Neo JB
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Death Star is a poor man's REAL star!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 09:22 PM   #26
chem0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E46

REAL star is a poor man's SUPERSTAR!

E46Fanatics.com
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #27
funky_chilli
*burp*
Australia
Rep
Drives: '13 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo JB View Post
Death Star is a poor man's REAL star!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chem0 View Post
REAL star is a poor man's SUPERSTAR!
u all need help

as to whether a bmw is a poor man's mercedes, i do not agree with that statement at all.

there's no such thing as a poor man's something else - it's up to the individual what they value in what they buy and what they spend their money on. bmw and mercedes are aimed at different markets - one is a more youthful, sportier brand that puts emphasis on driving involvement and spirit while the other is aimed at someone who wants more luxury

i do not believe that someone who chooses to buy a bmw would buy a merc if they had more money. the price of a bmw is definately comparable with mercedes. i think those who buy a $200k-$300k bmw would laugh at u if u suggested that they were buying a poor man's mercedes or that they couldn't afford to buy a mercedes.

many of the people i know who drive bmws do so because they choose to and not because they cannot afford a mercedes. what a ridiculous notion of an idea

and another thing why the average age would be so low on an internet forum is basically because the internet is used a lot more by young ppl so it's not surprising that the average age on here is so young but i thi if u were to do an average age of all bmw drivers i'm sure u'd find it to be much older! at a guess i'd say mabe late 30's - mid 40's
'09 E90 323i M-Sport | '08 MKV GTI | '02 MINI Cooper | '99 E46 318i Exec
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #28
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky_chilli View Post
u all need help

as to whether a bmw is a poor man's mercedes, i do not agree with that statement at all.

there's no such thing as a poor man's something else - it's up to the individual what they value in what they buy and what they spend their money on. bmw and mercedes are aimed at different markets - one is a more youthful, sportier brand that puts emphasis on driving involvement and spirit while the other is aimed at someone who wants more luxury

i do not believe that someone who chooses to buy a bmw would buy a merc if they had more money. the price of a bmw is definately comparable with mercedes. i think those who buy a $200k-$300k bmw would laugh at u if u suggested that they were buying a poor man's mercedes or that they couldn't afford to buy a mercedes.

many of the people i know who drive bmws do so because they choose to and not because they cannot afford a mercedes. what a ridiculous notion of an idea

and another thing why the average age would be so low on an internet forum is basically because the internet is used a lot more by young ppl so it's not surprising that the average age on here is so young but i thi if u were to do an average age of all bmw drivers i'm sure u'd find it to be much older! at a guess i'd say mabe late 30's - mid 40's
i could of bought a merc, but i chose the bmw cos i liked how it felt to drive better then the merc...

i love my car even more now, cos i just like how it looks better then what i was gonna buy, and besides, it is more mod-able!!
      02-19-2007, 11:46 PM   #29
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

I reckon Mercedes makes better cars.

Also hard to critisise them for using SC on whats one of the best V8 engines built when BMW stuck two pumps on the side of the 335.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #30
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
one would wonder why you have 2 bimmers then? why not 2 mercs? you have one don't you? you should buy more then...

i'm sorry, i just find it hard to understand why someone says merc is better, and then turns round and buys the newest bimmer out
      02-20-2007, 12:02 AM   #31
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
one would wonder why you have 2 bimmers then? why not 2 mercs? you have one don't you? you should buy more then...

i'm sorry, i just find it hard to understand why someone says merc is better, and then turns round and buys the newest bimmer out
I've actually got 3 BMW's. Err, becuase I've got a CLK 55 AMG as well perhaps? And used to own a E55, I love it how I post that I think Mercedes make better cars and your automatically critical of it. As for the 335, I like it. It's leaps and bounds above the E46 in terms of build quality and ergonomics, and it's hard to justify spending $200k to jump into a new AMG when you have more than one car.

It's great that I have to justify my opinon by stating what I drive and why, when you've obviously never owned or driven an AMG but find it more than acceptable to be critical of someone who has first hand experience of both brands.

It's a shame that you think you can only like one brand and not the other.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 12:05 AM   #32
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1q2w3e4r View Post
I've actually got 3 BMW's. Err, becuase I've got a CLK 55 AMG as well perhaps? And used to own a E55, I love it how I post that I think Mercedes make better cars and your automatically critical of it. As for the 335, I like it. It's leaps and bounds above the E46 in terms of build quality and ergonomics, and it's hard to justify spending $200k to jump into a new AMG when you have more than one car.

It's great that I have to justify my opinon by stating what I drive and why, when you've obviously never owned or driven an AMG but find it more than acceptable to be critical of someone who has first hand experience of both brands.

why do you assume that i have not driven an amg? i have actually...

and i didn't say i don't like mercs i do like them, but i said they are just different cars, for different markets, and at this stage in my life, i wanted something fun, so i bought the bimmer

maybee when i am old i will buy a merc
      02-20-2007, 12:07 AM   #33
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post

maybee when i am old i will buy a merc
Hehehe. Let me know when you hit 25 then
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 12:13 AM   #34
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 01:10 AM   #35
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hehehe. Let me know when you hit 25 then
will do
      02-20-2007, 01:26 AM   #36
NickG
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT M/Blue, Jade Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.G View Post
You guys are hilarious. What a thread
Well my opinion is that mercs and Bimmers have totally different markets.
The mercs have always been for the more mature people, and thats a fact that has been proved by many of the merc owners in North Shore area. The Bimmers as someone else said is more young and dynamic orientated. Therefore its for a younger market. on this forum they did a average age poll for the members and it came to around 24-25 year olds. This shows the consumer market pretty well for BMW enthusiests around the world being young
Chris I assume that was the whole of E90 post survey not just the Australian forum? A few observations:

1. Like many internet forums E90 post is in any case disproportionately populated by younger people. It is also disproportionately represented by Americans.
2. When I looked recently at the list of professions of e90 post members, it seems the most common was student LOL! That's basically wealthy US families buying their kids a BMW as a graduation present. I doubt you'll find this too often in Australia or any other major market except possibly perhaps parts of Asia and Middle East.
3. Americans have the cheapest car prices in the World. Younger people are more able to afford a BMW there than anywhere else.
4. BMW's biggest seller in Australia by far has always been the four cylinder variants of the 3er. I'm not sure that too many 20-25 year olds lust after that particular model.
5. You don't get to sell nearly 500,000 cars of any line variant worldwide by appealing to a narrow age base. You need everyone on board - young kids, up and coming professionals, affluent middle aged people and old ratbags too.

If you polled all Australian BMW buyers I'd be surprised if the average age wasn't at least late 30's - maybe more.

HOWEVER, if you did the same for Merc it would probably be 10 years older, so I guess we can still say BMW's are designed for younger drivers after all!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 01:49 AM   #37
Chris.G
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 LCI MSPORT X5 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG View Post
HOWEVER, if you did the same for Merc it would probably be 10 years older, so I guess we can still say BMW's are designed for younger drivers after all!

You are very right Nick That was the point i was trying to emphasize. The average poll was for all the members in the forum btw. Yes i know it doesn't represent Australia and that it isn't even close to representing other countries average age BMW owners. The point was though that the younger market purchase BMW's, starting from the age 20 and going up to 45 IMO. It would be great to see actual stats on this though for Australia.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 01:59 AM   #38
vinno
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Non BMW

Quote:

Err what else u got in that garage?? It'd be a nice one anyhow..
As for ppl being 'critical' if anything.. you have said that you basically think Mercs are the better car on a BMW forum, so you can't be surprised at the outcome..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 04:30 AM   #39
M3_GTR
Start of 2008, E92 owner!!
Rep
Drives: soon to be E92

^lol..

ill always take a BMW over a merc(dad said)

Mercesdes is an old mans car(dad and uncle said)

BMW owns, hence why im on this forum(i say)

i just like BMW more, they've always, or nearly always out classed mercedes, my grandpa had a merc.. he liked it.. but it wasnt very reliable, mechanicly, but the BMW is great!! But electronically the E46 is a bitch, damn window regulators!!

Mods:
-Remus exhaust system
-Clear Front, side and rear lights
-M3 Spolier
-BMW cross-spoke rims
-lowered
-c/f trim inside
-BMW sports steering wheel
-Customized plate's...

in 8 months, E92 bimmer!!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 05:09 AM   #40
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_GTR View Post
damn window regulators!!
an e46 quirk... my windows ocasionally seem to have a mind of their own!
      02-20-2007, 05:15 AM   #41
M3_GTR
Rep

^lol.. one of my teachers have a E46 330Ci, his had it for over 2 years, and not one dead regulator, btw, its a Vert.. lucky man!!

Mods:
-Remus exhaust system
-M3 Spolier
-BMW cross-spoke rims
-lowered
-c/f trim inside
-Customized plate's...

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 05:17 AM   #42
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
mine have never died, they just go a little silly sometimes
      02-20-2007, 05:19 AM   #43
M3_GTR
Rep

^ive had 3 that have died.. i think my passenger is about to go again

Mods:
-Remus exhaust system
-M3 Spolier
-BMW cross-spoke rims
-lowered
-c/f trim inside
-Customized plate's...

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2007, 05:20 AM   #44
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
do your's just die? or do they go berserk first?