E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > mouldy indicator repeaters - how to remove ?

06-15-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Still searching ...

mouldy indicator repeaters - how to remove ?

My indicator repeaters on the front wing are going mouldy on the inside after 3 years.

How are they removed so I can clean up the inside ?
Do you have to remove the wheel arch liner and get at them from their rear or do they just pull straight out ?
      06-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
nush e91
Rep
Drives: E91

Slide the unit towards the back of the car then pull out from the front of the unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules59 View Post
My indicator repeaters on the front wing are going mouldy on the inside after 3 years.

How are they removed so I can clean up the inside ?
Do you have to remove the wheel arch liner and get at them from their rear or do they just pull straight out ?
Push the repeater to the left or right (can't remember which way) and pull the back of the repeater out of the hole.

The repeater is then connected to the main loom by a small connector block.

The arch liner does not need to be removed.

Note: The repeater unit is sealed,so can't be seperated to clean the inside of the lens.
You could try popping the unit in the oven for 15 mins (No, I'm not kidding!) on a low heat to soften the glue to seperate the two parts.
Reseal with silicone.

Or buy new ones (probably far easier )
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:12 AM   #4
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Dead easy job!

First waggle the unit clockwise/anticlockwise as you look at it - just to break any seal that will have formed by the 3 years of accumulated road crud.

With the unit now able to move slightly (there won't be much), grip the unit and push (I think) towards the rear of the car. This will compress the spring clip - you'll need a good grip! As the unit slides rearwards, you willbe able to angle the front of the light unit out from the wing as this is just a hook. Remove the unit and disconnect the plug.

You will struggle to get anything inside the unit when the bulb is out, but at least you'll be able to wash it with something.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 01:19 PM   #5
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d lci

they all seem to do this cheap rubbish! make sure the loom doest drop insude the wing when you take the light out
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
B005T3D-G
Class Leading Reprobate
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Impreza STi - E92 335i (56)

Garage List
Once you get the repeater unit out tape the wiring to the wing do it doesn't fall in then soak the repeater unit in hot water with a baby bottle steriliser tablet for 20-30 mins. That'll kill off the bacteria and will come clean with a rinse of fresh water.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

cheers guys. I'll give it a go tomorrow.
      06-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Jules59
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The two plastic parts of the unit are bonded and the mould grows in that joint. I used hot water, washing up liquid , Milton and a tooth brush - managed to get most of the mould out. But the silicone rubber is still stained.

Here is a photo which makes it obvious how the get them off the the car (bulb & holder removed). Wiggle to loosen and then push sideways towards the rear and lift out the front edge - easy.
Attached Images