E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Uneven front camber?

01-29-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
Uneven front camber?

I recently ran over a giant pothole and bent both front & rear driver side wheels slightly.

I got them straightened out and got alignment at a local shop (not the most skilled one but they had hunter hawkeye..) and my front camber came out to be pretty unbalanced.

-0.9* left & -1.7* right. About 0.8* difference and the shop said they can't balance those without adjustable camber plate. Everything else is within spec.

I'm thinking I must've bent something in the front but no idea which one just by looking.

Any suggestions for what I should do to fix this issue? Should I try a different shop?

Or should I just leave it as is?

I'm reluctant on getting pillow ball mount camber plate b/c of the price and noise.
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by Supermoon; 02-05-2018 at 10:52 PM.. Reason: re-posted on general forum and then brought it back lol
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #2
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep
Drives: e91 330xi / 997 GT3 Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
-
Your subframe is out of whack, a good alignment can fix that.
      02-05-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
Your subframe is out of whack, a good alignment can fix that.
I re-posted this here in general forum to get more attention without success.
Could you take a look at it?
I'm about to order a new set of control arms and tension struts (thrust arm?).
Not sure about if it'd be worth getting monoball upgrade by Turner.
Pure Stage 1 | DV+ & Inlet | Injen Intake | M3 Cowl | ETS 5" FMIC & CP | Aquamist HFS4 Direct Port | CSF Radiator | Wagner Catted DP | BMW PE | Apex FL-5 | Michelin PS4S | 335is Engine mount | SDW Monoball thrust arms | UUC Swaybars & SS Brake lines | Bilstein B8 | Dinan Springs & Shock mounts | Whiteline RSFB | M3 Rear Control arms | Manzo Toe arms | Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 10:41 PM   #4
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I re-posted this here in general forum to get more attention without success.
Could you take a look at it?
I'm about to order a new set of control arms and tension struts (thrust arm?).
Not sure about if it'd be worth getting monoball upgrade by Turner.
If your subframe is not adjusted properly you'll be out of whack with regard to your camber side to side. It's a well established issue.

You can get 90% of the benefit of the monoballs without the high wear rate of the spherical bearings (which are only really suited for track applications) by swapping the thrust arm bushings for the yellow strongflex bushings, and you'll only be into it for $48 vs whatever Turner wants for racecar parts.

I used to endurance race GT3's and let me tell you, you do not need monoball LCA's on a street car. You're flushing money down the toilet.
      02-05-2018, 10:50 PM   #5
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiNeTyOne View Post
If your subframe is not adjusted properly you'll be out of whack with regard to your camber side to side. It's a well established issue.

You can get 90% of the benefit of the monoballs without the high wear rate of the spherical bearings (which are only really suited for track applications) by swapping the thrust arm bushings for the yellow strongflex bushings, and you'll only be into it for $48 vs whatever Turner wants for racecar parts.

I used to endurance race GT3's and let me tell you, you do not need monoball LCA's on a street car. You're flushing money down the toilet.
Sorry I have hard time understanding it.
Did you mean my front subframe could be mis-aligned?
I'm not sure how I'll explain this to my mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 11:43 PM   #6
NiNeTyOne
Touring cars rock
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I have hard time understanding it.
Did you mean my front subframe could be mis-aligned?
I'm not sure how I'll explain this to my mechanic.
If the subframe is torqued in the wrong position the camber will be off side to side (a major curb or pothole hit can do this too), take it to an alignment shop, it's not rocket science. Just tell them to check the bushings in the thrust arms and subframe alignment.

The front and rear subframes also have to be aligned in relation to each other. Not many shops can handle that as you need a frame alignment rack.

Go to someone who knows what the hell they are doing, the marginal additional cost to hire the right person for the job will more than offset the bitter taste of disappointment when some hack gets it wrong.

Last edited by NiNeTyOne; 02-05-2018 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
Supermoon166.00
      03-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #7
N54_e90
Don
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335xi Family Sedan

Agreed ^. Fine a body shops that does alignments instead of an alignment only shop. I had two instances where I hit a curb and bent some shit and they were able to bend it back and get everything into spec which a regular alignment shop couldn't have done.
Appreciate 0