E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Audi Q5 or RR Evoque or??

02-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Audi Q5 or RR Evoque or??

So in my search for the perfect family wagon I've decided a mid size SUV might be in order because

A) I've never had one and quite fancy having a go
B) My missus likes them and this will primarily be "her" car
C) These two options allow my inner chav to flourish

So what are the merits of both? The Evoque definately looks more striking but the Q5 is probably more practical in that it has more room and boot space. Not sure which one will be better put together either?

I had a brief look at nearly new prices but both seem to be holding pretty firm pricewise and not getting hit by huge depreciation, is this because they are both fashionable right now?

Also since this is going to be the family wagon I don't want to take a bath on owning\running it if I can avoid it (my toys do that for me plenty enough) so what's the cheapest way to get into one of these and which one is better value? PCP, new, nearly new, HP or lease? Lease prices again seem to be somewhat inflated for both models, has anyone spotted any cracking deals on either car?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Haven't looked round an Evoque but they do seem very small, reports say the economy is poor and other than a good looker they aren't great.

An SUV is a great family vehicle, we have had quite a few, most recent being an X3, then E53 X5 and now E70 X5. The smaller Q5/X3 style can be a bit pricey sometimes and stepping up to something X5 sized doesn't always cost a lot more. Running costs a bit higher but thats the price you pay for 2 tonne 4x4 with 6 cylinder engines.

The new model X3 seems to win most of the tests I have read, with a decent colour in M SPort with decent wheels it can look pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Haven't looked round an Evoque but they do seem very small, reports say the economy is poor and other than a good looker they aren't great.

An SUV is a great family vehicle, we have had quite a few, most recent being an X3, then E53 X5 and now E70 X5. The smaller Q5/X3 style can be a bit pricey sometimes and stepping up to something X5 sized doesn't always cost a lot more. Running costs a bit higher but thats the price you pay for 2 tonne 4x4 with 6 cylinder engines.

The new model X3 seems to win most of the tests I have read, with a decent colour in M SPort with decent wheels it can look pretty good.
I agree that the larger models are MUCH better value in terms of what you get but I don't really want a massive car as the Mrs will need to be comfortable driving it too plus I live in London so driving and parking such a large vehicle is always a pain.

To be fair the X3 is a great small SUV by all accounts, the new one especially has been getting good reviews and BMW seem to be offering some cracking deals at the moment but I've never been too taken with the looks, just think the proportions look slightly awkward (no offence to X3 lovers) so they are off the cards, I'm a tart I know
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

I'm guessing lease will be best. The PCP deals that Audi offer are shocking and when I looked at an Evoque for my mother in law they weren't much better. Gizze will probably have seen a deal, he seems to be the resident expert on such matters (don't let him try to punt you an E class Merc)

Like I said, I had a look at an Evoque for the mother in law. She wanted one because of the looks. I felt it was one of those cars that was more a fashion accessory than anything else and when we went and test drove one I thought this even more. It was okay to drive, well screwed together etc but the visibility was awful out of the rear and rear quarter. It's also not much bigger inside than most hatchbacks if you ask me. It's all style over substance.

Never looked at a Q5. A mate had a 3.0tdi as a courtesy car last week and loved it. Trounced a Mk6 GTi at the traffic light grand prix.... so childish. Doubt you would be wanting that if running costs are a concern.

The X3 should get a look in. I had a look round one at the stealers. It's a nice thing to be in and i was shocked at the size of the new one. I actually thought i was sitting in an X5.
      02-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
What about an X6?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

Evoque in terms of residuals is going to be fantastic for a few years yet - should be able to get a pretty good PCP deal on it becuase of that.

One issue tho might be getting hold of one - demand is far outstrippign supply to the point LR are now producing then 24hrs a day!
      02-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

The X3, Q5 and Evoque were the three on my shortlist and I drove all of them. My humble opinions (ignoring X3 from what you say Guvernator):
Evoque - really good to drive, liked the manual 'box a lot, easily the best looking out there, and a really good cabin. Economy not great (this was an SD4 Prestige 2.2 diesel) at 34 mpg indicated. Great Meridian sound system, engine note gruff but only when pushed hard. Panoramic sunroof a must. BUT, the boot isn't big and that might be the killer if this was to be your family car. Drivethedeal are doing 5% discounts and delivery time is 2 months ish.
Q5 - very classy cabin with excellent build quality. Refined to drive and engine is hushed, but not a quick car at all (this was a 2 litre 177ps diesel). Ride quality MUCH better than the reviews suggest (I think Audi have softened it for 2013 model year). Doesn't look that great. B&O sound system a must, for £600 it is excellent. You can get an S Line Plus with all the toys, plus B&O sound and heated seats for £33k which is a 12.2% discount from Drivethedeal. Equivalent spec Evoque would be £40k before discount. Delivery time about 6 weeks to 2 months.

In summary, if looks and style are important, and you are OK with a small-ish boot, get the Evoque. If you prefer a less involving drive but more practicality, and better value for money; Q5. Both are VERY good cars though. I thought the X3 was slightly better however.

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Was looking at the Q5 3.0 Tdi actually as it seems to offer a good balance between performance vs cost. Just think a 2 litre engine would feel underpowered in such a big car. Beside fuel isn't a major factor anyway, I was thinking more of servicing and depreciation to be fair.

Looked at the X6 as I do like the look of them but they seem to suffer from a strange reverse tardis effect in that they are huge on the outside but tiny on the inside. The fact that I would be hated by the majority of other road users is the icing on the cake, a friend has one and he says he doubts he'd get more negativity from other road users if he had "I'm a pedo" stuck on the car.

Need to look at what sort of deals RR might be able to offer, not too desperate for delivery at the moment so I can wait a few months if required.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
The X3, Q5 and Evoque were the three on my shortlist and I drove all of them. My humble opinions (ignoring X3 from what you say Guvernator):
Evoque - really good to drive, liked the manual 'box a lot, easily the best looking out there, and a really good cabin. Economy not great (this was an SD4 Prestige 2.2 diesel) at 34 mpg indicated. Great Meridian sound system, engine note gruff but only when pushed hard. Panoramic sunroof a must. BUT, the boot isn't big and that might be the killer if this was to be your family car. Drivethedeal are doing 5% discounts and delivery time is 2 months ish.
Q5 - very classy cabin with excellent build quality. Refined to drive and engine is hushed, but not a quick car at all (this was a 2 litre 177ps diesel). Ride quality MUCH better than the reviews suggest (I think Audi have softened it for 2013 model year). Doesn't look that great. B&O sound system a must, for £600 it is excellent. You can get an S Line Plus with all the toys, plus B&O sound and heated seats for £33k which is a 12.2% discount from Drivethedeal. Equivalent spec Evoque would be £40k before discount. Delivery time about 6 weeks to 2 months.

In summary, if looks and style are important, and you are OK with a small-ish boot, get the Evoque. If you prefer a less involving drive but more practicality, and better value for money; Q5. Both are VERY good cars though. I thought the X3 was slightly better however.

Mike.
Thanks Mike, very useful summary. ]#

Not really fussed about how well they handle to be honest, I want this car to be comfy. Maybe it's just me but I don't really get this current obsession with making SUV's them handle like a car, surely the whole point of them is that they are big, comfy and wafty??

At any rate the Evoque is definately the best looking but space\size might make it a no-goer so I think I'll need to go and have a look at one. The Q5 is a little more boring but looks decent enough in S line guise and they are better value IMO as the Evoque is currently suffering from the fashionsta wanting them.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #10
quattrogmbh
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
What about an X6?
More like "Why" an X6?

They have to be one of the ugliest, most pointless vehicles on the market today.

Apologies to anyone who owns one.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #11
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

I had the same dilemma a few months back, and ended up going for the Q5. I couldn't justify the ridiculous price of the evoque, and found it slightly female orientated.

The X3 I just couldn't get to grips with. I wasn't satisfied with the overall product, and thought it could have been much better. Ended up ordering a Q5 S-Line Plus 177 with most options and it came out cheaper than both the X3 and the Evoque, for IMO the best of the bunch.

Bring on April

Edit: Mike in Hampshire - Lead time on the Q5 for me was more like 3/4 Months...
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
Thanks Mike, very useful summary. ]#
Not really fussed about how well they handle to be honest, I want this car to be comfy. Maybe it's just me but I don't really get this current obsession with making SUV's them handle like a car, surely the whole point of them is that they are big, comfy and wafty??
You're welcome. And yes I agree that the 2 litre Q5 diesel is a little underpowered, I haven't driven the 3 litre but have heard very good things about it. It is £6k more list price than the 2 litre, for a given spec. Would Mrs G really use the extra power around London? Then again, on a motorway trip fully loaded you might need more oomph.
I really like the X3 3 litre - again the 2 litre BMW engine is good but it is in a big car.
Also totally agree about comfort. I drove an X3 with 19 inch wheels and M Sport suspension and it was quite firm I thought. BMW X5 M Sports on 20inch alloys are very firm, especially with run flats.
Have you considered a Volvo XC60? Mega discounts on them at the moment, although I know next to nothing about them.

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG View Post
The X3 I just couldn't get to grips with. I wasn't satisfied with the overall product, and thought it could have been much better. Ended up ordering a Q5 S-Line Plus 177 with most options and it came out cheaper than both the X3 and the Evoque, for IMO the best of the bunch.
Hmm, interesting. What didn't you like about the X3? I do agree about price. An S Line Plus 177 comes out at £33k on Drivethedeal, other online brokers are quoting £37-38k for a similar spec M Sport X3. The Q5 is definitely the value for money choice of this trio.
Mike.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Volvo XC60? Seems to be v big discounts on DtD > 15%.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #15
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
Hmm, interesting. What didn't you like about the X3? I do agree about price. An S Line Plus 177 comes out at £33k on Drivethedeal, other online brokers are quoting £37-38k for a similar spec M Sport X3. The Q5 is definitely the value for money choice of this trio.
Mike.
A lot of it was I fancied a bit of a change from the BMW brand, but I found the driving position and toys on the Q5 to be slightly better than the X3.

Electric Tailgate, HDD Nav, Media Interface, Xenon, Parking Sensors, Nappa Leather are all standard on the Q5 Plus - Start putting the same options on the X3 and you're into £45-47k.

The Q5 has also just been facelifted whereas I'm not too sure when the X3 change is due.

I haven't driven the Evoque so I can't really make a comparison to that.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #16
Raja Ventureshield
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe

i like both of them. But i think if i had to get one i would get the q5 with s-line. It looks better in the 4 door form. the evoque looks better in the 2 door trim.
Just my 2 cents. My favorite suv is cayenne DIEsel.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Don't overlook the Touareg - much more space than either of those, but with similar running and purchase costs.

Recommended.

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I have to say I still regret not getting that Touraeg a year or two back.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #19
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
I have to say I still regret not getting that Touraeg a year or two back.
We had one of the originals for 6 years and changed for the current model when it came out - had that on a 2 year c/hire deal.

Both 3.0 Tdi V6. Current model doesnt have quite as much presence as the last one, but a decent set of 20" alloys helps. Other than that it is faster, more economical, roomier, and quieter....we loved it!

Looked at Q5's and X3's but could never see the point in paying the same money for something smaller...

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #20
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Really interested in this topic as I am currently in a similar position looking to replace the family A4 Avant quattro. Also fancied a small SUV for a change and I really want to get another AWD motor. The quattro has not missed a beat in over 3 years and that includes a couple of very bad snowy winters up here!

My wife rule out the Evoque as she doesn't like the look at all.

We were steering clear of the Q5 as it is so similar inside to our A4 and we fancied a change. I like the X3 but....having looked at it for a few weeks, I keep coming back to a Q5 S-Line Plus due to the value for money (and we have been really happy with the Audi we have).

I am actually thinking about the petrol one! The 225bhp version is much quicker than the 2.0 177bhp diesel and returns c.37mpg. At c.10,000 miles max I think I could live with the increased fuel bill. Am I mad to think of the petrol one?

Final option just now is the new 3 series touring with x-drive. Similar car to the one it replaces but we have got on fine with an AWD estate car tbh
      02-25-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
Really interested in this topic as I am currently in a similar position looking to replace the family A4 Avant quattro. Also fancied a small SUV for a change and I really want to get another AWD motor. The quattro has not missed a beat in over 3 years and that includes a couple of very bad snowy winters up here!

My wife rule out the Evoque as she doesn't like the look at all.

We were steering clear of the Q5 as it is so similar inside to our A4 and we fancied a change. I like the X3 but....having looked at it for a few weeks, I keep coming back to a Q5 S-Line Plus due to the value for money (and we have been really happy with the Audi we have).

I am actually thinking about the petrol one! The 225bhp version is much quicker than the 2.0 177bhp diesel and returns c.37mpg. At c.10,000 miles max I think I could live with the increased fuel bill. Am I mad to think of the petrol one?

Final option just now is the new 3 series touring with x-drive. Similar car to the one it replaces but we have got on fine with an AWD estate car tbh
I think you will struggle to get 37mpg from the Petrol. My Ed 35 says it does 35mpg and even driven really gently struggles to make 30mpg on my 25 mile mixed commute. Understand my engine is older technology the unit from the mark 5 golf but even still best I have ever got from it was 32mpg!

Plus the diesel is surely going to have a much wider 2nd hand market??

And to answer the original question what about a Tiguan R? There seems to be some mega deals on them at the moment and imo one of the best looking 4x4s plus the 170bhp package is a better fit in the smaller car.
      02-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #22
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooky View Post
Not mad, but I would expect them to be hard to shift come resale time. Certain cars seem to attract a "must have a diesel" perception.
So it depends if you'd keep it or want to sell inside htree years.
Mike.
Appreciate 0