E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > V3 DIY O2 sims & Question for Beta guys / Shiv

06-21-2008, 11:09 AM   #1
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers, duh

V3 DIY O2 sims & Question for Beta guys / Shiv

Two Questions:

1) I was just wondering if anyone had received information on the el chepo "Do It Yoursef" 02 sims that Shiv mentioned earlier in the month.

It seems quite a few folks have already received their V3 harnesses and I would assume several of them would be putting it on a catless car.

Beta Guys & Shiv
First off- Sorry I have to post here to ask, but its the only way way I know how to get a hold of the unknown beta folks. Feel free to respond offline via PM

Im currently running the V2 sims Shiv sent out to the beta guys a while back. No lights, no codes, but no readiness on the CAT or O2 either. (yeah, yeah Ive been babbling about this for ever)

From a software side it was said that "..it turns out that the ECU does a neat little trick to make sure that it's really reading off of a real o2 sensor and a simulation. And unless it passes this verification, readiness will never be achieved. So (Uncle Shiv) revised the PROcede's o2 simm feature to mimick this trick to the T (easy when you are using a microcontroller for all signal processing). And sure enough, the problem is solved." So, that has been resolved as we all know and appreciate.

2) Does the lack of codes or a light mean the physical SIM I have is working properly, or is there a possibility that I need to make a new SIM to solve my issues (relates back to question 1)?

THanks
---Yes I am the turd that wont flush---
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 11:57 AM   #2
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Shiv is no longer using a microcontroller for the 02 sensor simulator, so with the new DIY sims, you're not going to get the readiness tests complete.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

Interesting. Thats contrary to the responses Ive seen from him recently. Who told you that?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
I don't know why you (M3to355) aren't getting readiness with any of the o2 sims you've tried. I have yet to see this be an issue with any other catless car. Even with the DIY option (3 resistors) that I'll be posting up. It does not clamp the upper end of the signal. Instead, it just scales the entire waveform downwards. My car (as well as every other catless car I've checked) has gotten readiness when using it.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

I never tried the BMS.

Up till now Ive just been running the 02 wire pack you sent to the beta guys. Can you help me understand what those are physically doing and how they relate to whatever tweak was done to the new maps?

I think if I understood how it was working, I could figure out a solution. Unfortunately Im a mechanical engineer, and am completely electically retarded Still, finding answers is what drives me.

This relates to question #2. If what I am running now could be an issue and the three resistor trick is somehow different (you mentioned scaling down).... is there a glimmer of hope that those would work. I will try damn near anything!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to335 View Post
I never tried the BMS.

Up till now Ive just been running the 02 wire pack you sent to the beta guys. Can you help me understand what those are physically doing and how they relate to whatever tweak was done to the new maps?

I think if I understood how it was working, I could figure out a solution. Unfortunately Im a mechanical engineer, and am completely electically retarded Still, finding answers is what drives me.

This relates to question #2. If those are an issue and the three resistor trick is somehow different.... is there a glimmer of hope that those would work. I will try damn near anything!
The map basically rescaled the o2 signal waveform. It applied to voltage clamp to either the upper or lower ranges. The same can be done through discrete components (3 resistors) as a DIY. We will not sell o2 simulators due to legal issues.

Here's why:
http://www.epa.gov/oecaerth/resource...aa/casper.html

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

Quote:
This relates to question #2. If those are an issue and the three resistor trick is somehow different.... is there a glimmer of hope that those would work. I will try damn near anything!
I would say yes, there is a good possibility it will work.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
kitw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F91 M8, 991.2 GT3

Thanks for clearing that up, Shiv. Sorry I misspoke, it DOES sound like the resistors should work. I thought you were having to do something else.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The map basically rescaled the o2 signal waveform. It applied to voltage clamp to either the upper or lower ranges. The same can be done through discrete components (3 resistors) as a DIY. We will not sell o2 simulators due to legal issues.

Here's why:
http://www.epa.gov/oecaerth/resource...aa/casper.html

Shiv
I know man. What I have technically wasnt sold to me either

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalbert View Post
I would say yes, there is a good possibility it will work.
Steve, your positivity gives me hope Shiv do you concur that I still have a chance with the homebrew type?

As soon as I get the info on making those babies I will jump right on it.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Shiv do you concur that I still have a chance with the homebrew type?
I don't see why not. It's working on every car I've seen. Just go to radio shack and buy some 10k ohm and some 2.2k ohm resistors. You only need one of each but you can't buy them individually. Will cost you approx $2. Might as well get some shrink tube why you are at it. I'll post up a DIY sometime this weekend, time permitting.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I don't see why not. It's working on every car I've seen. Just go to radio shack and buy some 10k ohm and some 2.2k ohm resistors. You only need one of each but you can't buy them individually. Will cost you approx $2. Might as well get some shrink tube why you are at it. I'll post up a DIY sometime this weekend, time permitting.

Shiv
Thank you as always.

Also, no need for me to hit up radio shack. I have work to thank for a plethera of electical componets
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

One question:

Why to feed the 2 O2 inputs of the ECM with one O2 sensor?

Isn't better to build 2 resistive attenuators, one for each O2 sensor?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 08:16 AM   #13
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconi118 View Post
One question:

Why to feed the 2 O2 inputs of the ECM with one O2 sensor?

Isn't better to build 2 resistive attenuators, one for each O2 sensor?
IMO, yes, it could be done independantly and would probably be better. But it was found it is not needed so it reduces the number of voltage dividers (resistor sets) to create. That said, I built my own using two sets of voltage dividers just as you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 06:11 PM   #14
Ironring Racing
N54 FTW!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 6MT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the values of the resistors stay the same, we just build 2 of the voltage dividers in Shiv's DIY? Or were the values taking into account the impedance of feeding the single O2 singnal into 2 sensor inputs? I'm guessing low sensor impedance and high input impedance, so it shouldn't make any difference to the resistor values, but hey, measure twice, cut once!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #15
scalbert
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironring Racing View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the values of the resistors stay the same, we just build 2 of the voltage dividers in Shiv's DIY? Or were the values taking into account the impedance of feeding the single O2 singnal into 2 sensor inputs? I'm guessing low sensor impedance and high input impedance, so it shouldn't make any difference to the resistor values, but hey, measure twice, cut once!
Same values is you create two.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 09:14 AM   #16
marconi118
Major
Rep
Drives: 06/07 e93 335i

Solder 2 or 4 resistors... its the same effort
Appreciate 0