E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Pittsburgh BMW Meets

06-27-2016, 03:09 PM   #1761
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Any of ynz guys meeting up soon? I see a lot of 335's in the burg but zero interaction. Drive in movie night?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #1762
DT Fan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Anyone in the area own a walnut blaster that they'd rent out and/or do the service for a fee?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 09:47 PM   #1763
brett335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i XDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Fan View Post
Anyone in the area own a walnut blaster that they'd rent out and/or do the service for a fee?
I have the BavAuto kit and I'll be doing mine in the next week or so. Had a medical emergency come up or I would've done it already. I'd consider doing it on the weekend for a fee.

Thanks
Brett
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 03:19 PM   #1764
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 TiAg 335xi

Yea, I'm waiting on the same. There is a GB going on over near NOVA that I was thinking about jumping in on because my brother lives out that way. But I really would like to find a place closer than 4 hours away that does it. Plus they are not doing work on the weekends, only weekdays, so that is no fun.

But if someone around here that has done it already and has space, I would be down with throwing money to them and make a day of it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 03:33 PM   #1765
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

I'll bring the beer for this nut blasting party!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #1766
DT Fan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Maybe I should be asking a different question...if I purchased a kit, how many would be willing to join in on a party about 30 minutes north east of downtown? Need not all be on the same day...weekday or weekend. My dad has a professional repair shop and he has a 5 series in that he needs to do. Can't find anyone around to sub it out to for a reasonable amount. I am trying to convince him to buy one. My 330 doesn't have direct injection, but the 2011 535 that I'm looking to buy definitely will
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 08:26 AM   #1767
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT Fan View Post
Maybe I should be asking a different question...if I purchased a kit, how many would be willing to join in on a party about 30 minutes north east of downtown? Need not all be on the same day...weekday or weekend. My dad has a professional repair shop and he has a 5 series in that he needs to do. Can't find anyone around to sub it out to for a reasonable amount. I am trying to convince him to buy one. My 330 doesn't have direct injection, but the 2011 535 that I'm looking to buy definitely will

I'm in for sure. Beer, money, D-All the above, whatever. I just need to get this done. And like I said, I'm to the point, I'm looking to drive 4 hours away to have it done.

Though, it might be good to have someone on hand that has done this before, just for a second set of eyes. The price of the kit is relatively cheap; especially if you're splitting it (x) ways. Each person could purchase enough media to do theirs also. I would even throw down for the pre-built bump starter; instead of the old hack-a-wire method.

I don't think the cleaning method is all that challenging, it's the tear-down that frightens me.

30 minutes northeast of Pgh? Are you over near New Ken? Or where at.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #1768
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

This might be a long shot but my wife's e90 needs a few new tires for state inspection next month. Anybody have 225/45/17's they want to sell? or any extra sets of wheels to sell?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #1769
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by milfriez View Post
I'm in for sure. Beer, money, D-All the above, whatever. I just need to get this done. And like I said, I'm to the point, I'm looking to drive 4 hours away to have it done.

Though, it might be good to have someone on hand that has done this before, just for a second set of eyes. The price of the kit is relatively cheap; especially if you're splitting it (x) ways. Each person could purchase enough media to do theirs also. I would even throw down for the pre-built bump starter; instead of the old hack-a-wire method.

I don't think the cleaning method is all that challenging, it's the tear-down that frightens me.

30 minutes northeast of Pgh? Are you over near New Ken? Or where at.
I'm in the exact same boat. I'll do whatever. Rahal wants a grand to do this, i don't have to the tools but do have the wrenching ability.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #1770
Lshaw
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurboXI View Post
This might be a long shot but my wife's e90 needs a few new tires for state inspection next month. Anybody have 225/45/17's they want to sell? or any extra sets of wheels to sell?
Craigslist for used tires?
15 X5 xdrive 35i (2015-)
17 Forester XT (2016-)
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #1771
DS3IAM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335 XI

Any of you locals attending the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix July 8 to 17?

http://www.pvgp.org/
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #1772
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS3IAM View Post
Any of you locals attending the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix July 8 to 17?

http://www.pvgp.org/
Of course! Anyone know if there's an Ferrari Enzo in Pittsburgh? Every year we go and my older (7yo) is disappointed, his name is Enzo and wants to get a picture of himself in front of one.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 10:00 PM   #1773
brett335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett335 View Post
I have the BavAuto kit and I'll be doing mine in the next week or so. Had a medical emergency come up or I would've done it already. I'd consider doing it on the weekend for a fee.

Thanks
Brett
Completed my walnut blast back in early August and had to undergo surgery to remove a large mass from my chest on 8/11. Drove my car for the first time yesterday and wow what a difference! I have 80k miles on my 09 335.

If anyone in the Pittsburgh area would like to "rent" my walnut blaster please let me know. You would need to provide your own shopvac and walnut media (harbor freight).

Thanks
Brett
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 07:53 AM   #1774
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Completed my walnut blast back in early August and had to undergo surgery to remove a large mass from my chest on 8/11. Drove my car for the first time yesterday and wow what a difference! I have 80k miles on my 09 335.

If anyone in the Pittsburgh area would like to "rent" my walnut blaster please let me know. You would need to provide your own shopvac and walnut media (harbor freight).

Thanks
Brett
Hope the surgery went well and all is good.

Congrats on the blast, definitely makes a big difference. I go down spring Valley almost every day and see your bmw and mb, both nice looking cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #1775
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
Brett
Hey Brett. Glad you're doing better. Any chance you're in any kinda shape to assist with doing the actual cleaning itself? I no doubt would be able to supply the media, shop-vac, cash, beer, whatever I'm just a little timid tinkering with the engine. My only option other than this is to head to NOVA a few hours Away on a weekday.

On another note, since the engine would be basically ripped apart, would there be any benefit in slapping on any mods at this point? Intake, charge-pipe, down pipe, etc?

Anyone willing to assist with this let me know. Like I said, would definitely compensate for time/materials.

Thanks,
Brad
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 01:14 PM   #1776
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Brett. Glad you're doing better. Any chance you're in any kinda shape to assist with doing the actual cleaning itself? I no doubt would be able to supply the media, shop-vac, cash, beer, whatever I'm just a little timid tinkering with the engine. My only option other than this is to head to NOVA a few hours Away on a weekday.

On another note, since the engine would be basically ripped apart, would there be any benefit in slapping on any mods at this point? Intake, charge-pipe, down pipe, etc?

Anyone willing to assist with this let me know. Like I said, would definitely compensate for time/materials.

Thanks,
Brad
What's area you?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 03:06 PM   #1777
brett335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Hope the surgery went well and all is good.

Congrats on the blast, definitely makes a big difference. I go down spring Valley almost every day and see your bmw and mb, both nice looking cars.
Haha thanks for the kind words! I'm about a month out from returning to work, still can't lift anything greater than 10 lbs. And my fiance just traded in her MB for a Hyundai SUV; we're expecting our first this November.

Thanks!
Brett
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #1778
brett335
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Thanks,
Brad
Hey Brad -

I won't be in any condition to help at least for another month. Curious what part of town you live in.

Regarding the actual process, how many miles are on your car? While I had mine torn apart I replaced my oil filter housing gasket, oil cooler gasket, tb and intake mani gaskets. Also replaced the old PCV with the RB valve and swapped out some old vacuum lines. It would make sense to swap the chargepipe at this point if you're running higher boost; only a matter of time before the plastic one cracks.

Let me know if you have any other questions. My next project is going to be swapping my inlets and outlets as well as catless downpipes.

Thanks
Brett
412-328-6664
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #1779
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
What's area you?
I'm north of the city out near cranberry. About 30 minutes north of Pittsburgh.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #1780
milfriez
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hey Brad -

I won't be in any condition to help at least for another month. Curious what part of town you live in.

Regarding the actual process, how many miles are on your car? While I had mine torn apart I replaced my oil filter housing gasket, oil cooler gasket, tb and intake mani gaskets. Also replaced the old PCV with the RB valve and swapped out some old vacuum lines. It would make sense to swap the chargepipe at this point if you're running higher boost; only a matter of time before the plastic one cracks.

Let me know if you have any other questions. My next project is going to be swapping my inlets and outlets as well as catless downpipes.

Thanks
Brett
412-328-6664
I have about 80k on mine right now. I already had my oil filter housing gasket replaced at P&W to the tune of like $600 or so. Unfortunately I don't believe I even have an oil cooler, it's on my list of updates eventually but a full retrofit is not cheap. I was going to replace any gaskets that needed it also during the cleaning.

Was this your first time doing it? How much of a hassle was it? I'm technical but not super mechanical. Got a handful of tools just not a lot of space. Anything that you got hung up on or that could be a potential lynch pin without certain tools or spare parts?

Thanks,
Brad
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 12:50 PM   #1781
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have about 80k on mine right now. I already had my oil filter housing gasket replaced at P&W to the tune of like $600 or so. Unfortunately I don't believe I even have an oil cooler, it's on my list of updates eventually but a full retrofit is not cheap. I was going to replace any gaskets that needed it also during the cleaning.

Was this your first time doing it? How much of a hassle was it? I'm technical but not super mechanical. Got a handful of tools just not a lot of space. Anything that you got hung up on or that could be a potential lynch pin without certain tools or spare parts?

Thanks,
Brad
I don't have an oil cooler either, it's not worth the $1k retrofit cost.

I made a valve cleaning DIY, it's a pretty easy job. I didn't use a media blaster the first time but since i have revamped my setup and it's much better now.

[u2b]https://youtu.be/Idirp7acsss[/u2b]

https://youtu.be/Idirp7acsss
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 12:54 PM   #1782
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Brad -

Thanks
Brett
412-328-6664
You xi or rwd. I'm in the process of getting upgraded turbos installed and it's a pretty big hassle if awd, same regarding inlets and outlets.
Appreciate 0