E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > tips for borrowing $ (loan) for a wedding?

06-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #23
jaiman
Captain
Rep
Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Dude you've got to be kidding me! 20k for 100 people. What did you guys pick out!!!!

I'm just around the corner and we're having the reception at a Crowne Plaza with 275 invited guests with the choice of a real Filet, Salmon or Chicken Prosciutto for around 25k. That's including florist, wedding cake, bar etc.
my wedding was around 25k and we only had 30 ish people. But that includes everything, her dress my suit, flowers etc, but not the rings. We had it a a restaurant and had seriously good food and top shelf booze. If I had to do it allover, i wouldn't change a thing. Small, classy weddings FTW.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #24
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Quote:
Dude you've got to be kidding me! 20k for 100 people. What did you guys pick out!!!!

I'm just around the corner and we're having the reception at a Crowne Plaza with 275 invited guests with the choice of a real Filet, Salmon or Chicken Prosciutto for around 25k. That's including florist, wedding cake, bar etc.

Rings are expensive though

*DING*, where's this option at??

Dude no offense but you should have been saving since you came to the decision to even propose if you knew you would be footing the bill.

If you have to pay the balances a couple days prior, which is what our people are requiring, then I'd stick it on an AMEX. They now allow you to carry a balance a large purchases and you'll get a decent amount of points. It's what I would do knowing I'd pay it off within a month or two.
haha, we had it here in columbus at the Franklin Park Conservatory, but had the reception at St Joe Cathedral downtown. Just to rent the church for the time was 1k, and then we hired trumpet players for her to walk down the eisle, that was another 500 or so, had Cameron Mitchell's do the catering which wasn't cheap and had an open bar with top shelf liquor. It can be done cheaper, and if it was my money I definitely would have done something a LOT cheaper It was beautiful and everybody had a smash at the reception, even the DJ we got was hovering around 2k. Everything about a wedding is expensive, it's really all for the girl, I could have cared less although it was just about perfect.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 03:47 PM   #25
1cleanm6
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M5 comp/Range/i3S

ah heres an idea cut down.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #26
///Mandy
N54 <3
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

You 2 should've started saving the wedding funds the second she said I do.

Taking out another loan is a bad idea. Do you guys have your own place?
Reason I'm asking is you don't want too many trade lines showing up on your bureau once you start applying for a mtg.

E90 335xi|Nav pkg|Sport pkg|Dakota leather|Brushed aluminum trim|MTech kit
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #27
mach330
You don't know JACK!!!
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

i feel ya bro. weddings are just crazy these days. mine is not even elaborate at all. i had around 136 guest and i'm close to 40K already (for everything). i don't count the rings and non-weddings stuff of course. things just start adding up like crazy. chair covers (wtf is this). florist, taxes on places (they charge 30% on service and taxes reception!!!). my reception was a 15K min and with tax/service charge it came out to be 20K. don't even get me started on the wedding dress...

i ended up taking line of equity. i'm make decent money, but i just don't have the cash at hand. i didn't want any $$ from parents so we did it ourselves. i should have it all paid off by end of next yr.

i think wedding and funerals are the best business out there. they take advantage of you since they know you'll give in eventually. i just hate wedding n funeral business in general.

p.s. i got close to 11K of cash. i have very greatful friends who gives cash. LOL
      06-27-2008, 08:21 PM   #28
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi&gt;M235i&gt;428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Holla at your family
They're the only ones that can help you
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 08:35 PM   #29
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman View Post
my wedding was around 25k and we only had 30 ish people. But that includes everything, her dress my suit, flowers etc, but not the rings. We had it a a restaurant and had seriously good food and top shelf booze. If I had to do it allover, i wouldn't change a thing. Small, classy weddings FTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom330 View Post
haha, we had it here in columbus at the Franklin Park Conservatory, but had the reception at St Joe Cathedral downtown. Just to rent the church for the time was 1k, and then we hired trumpet players for her to walk down the eisle, that was another 500 or so, had Cameron Mitchell's do the catering which wasn't cheap and had an open bar with top shelf liquor. It can be done cheaper, and if it was my money I definitely would have done something a LOT cheaper It was beautiful and everybody had a smash at the reception, even the DJ we got was hovering around 2k. Everything about a wedding is expensive, it's really all for the girl, I could have cared less although it was just about perfect.
I'm just going to lump my replies to both of you together.

I understand the costs but its just mind boggling that people would want to spend that money (you know where your mind is like trapped in a bottle). I mean if her parents were all about it then I could care less, but never my own money.

My liquor is going to be like $7k on its own. And thats not considered their "top shelf", but the differences were stupid and to me considered comparable liquors, like swapping Grey Goose for Three Olives, dumb and not worth the $4 a head. Our food is catered by Bucci's, you might know the place Phantom if you make it to Cleveland at all. Great italian food, we basically picked the venue solely on the food. Yet Cameron Mitchell is great f'n food as well.

I guess in the end we got off easy cuz we knew a good DJ so discount on that, we booked the reception at Crowne Plaza while the hotel was in the middle of renovations so another discount on that. Things just fell into place nicely for us. A year later and our costs would easily be 10k higher w/o a doubt on the reception alone.

I will say this. If I ever get married again, I'm never going through this shit again. Unless it's that girls first and she blows me for a week straight

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #30
phantom330
Captain
Rep
Drives: e93 335i

Quote:
I'm just going to lump my replies to both of you together.

I understand the costs but its just mind boggling that people would want to spend that money (you know where your mind is like trapped in a bottle). I mean if her parents were all about it then I could care less, but never my own money.

My liquor is going to be like $7k on its own. And thats not considered their "top shelf", but the differences were stupid and to me considered comparable liquors, like swapping Grey Goose for Three Olives, dumb and not worth the $4 a head. Our food is catered by Bucci's, you might know the place Phantom if you make it to Cleveland at all. Great italian food, we basically picked the venue solely on the food. Yet Cameron Mitchell is great f'n food as well.

I guess in the end we got off easy cuz we knew a good DJ so discount on that, we booked the reception at Crowne Plaza while the hotel was in the middle of renovations so another discount on that. Things just fell into place nicely for us. A year later and our costs would easily be 10k higher w/o a doubt on the reception alone.

I will say this. If I ever get married again, I'm never going through this shit again. Unless it's that girls first and she blows me for a week straight
Sounds like you've got a nice plan there for sure. It's expensive, but you'll have a great time, I wouldn't take mine back for anything, best day of my life without question. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #31
mpimping
Banned
South Korea
Rep
Drives: gti

i thought the brides family is supposed to pay. do the home equity loan but try not to draw from it after.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #32
MAZNG
I found Jesus...He was Hiding behiind my Sofa
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F82

Weddings are great, if you have the $$$ to pay for it or someone else is footing the bill. It's a party, plain & simple.

don't go into it thinking that you'll recoup your cash from the attendees. You'll be in for a HUGE disappointment. Especially since these are the same people that will be bitchin' about this or that at the wedding you're considering going into debt for.

Save your money, get back what you can and cut your losses before going into debt for a party.

A few years ago, I gave my wife an option, $50K on a wedding or court house wedding, a new BMW, modded to her liking, and a nice vacation. Which do you think she picked? She's no dummy... Title to her bimmer and a sweet Caribbean cruise.

ELOC - may NOT be the smartest choice for a short term loan. Use a 0% APR cc courtesy check and pay off before the promo period ends.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #33
wvtlo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Matt - PM sent
      06-30-2008, 08:41 AM   #34
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_335Ci View Post
the final deposits are just around the corner and most of the vendors/reception want cash/check, and quite honestly I don't want to start accumulating credit card debt.

i rather not take out a home equity loan, although that may be the best option. i am not a financial expert so i figured some smarties on e90post could recommend different options or suggestions on what they may have done or heard?

any good online sites for this type of loan? lending tree or e-loan?

the plan is after we receive our cash gifts we should be able to knock this loan out, but until then we need some cash to fianance our day.

thanks for your advice/help in advance!
i ddint read anyones answers but dont take out a HELOC/HEL. the loan is tied to your house. if u cant repay the loan for whatever reason, they take your house. if u accumulate credit card debt, and cant pay for whatever reason, they cant take away anything from you except charge u extra interest.