E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Universal transmitter - Liftmaster Operations

10-25-2005, 04:30 PM   #1
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Universal transmitter - Liftmaster Operations

Has anyone got those liftmaster garage door remote control to work on the universal transmitter yet? I heard from a friend of my with an older gen M3 said he couldn't get his liftmaster remote to work. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 04:40 PM   #2
northerncalguy
Throw your hands in the air, if you's a true playa.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, 2014 435i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
The BMW programming instructions are truly crappy, at best. After several attempts, I went to the HomeLink website and was pleased to find complete instructions:

http://www.homelink.com/training/train.taf?do=4

That should work with the Liftmaster, which is a rolling code type garage opener.

Good luck.
      10-25-2005, 05:18 PM   #3
robertb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

My mother has a new liftmaster that has the rolling code system. You have to follow the same procedure with the remote control that you normally do, but you then have to go to the garage door opener and press a button called "Learn", then within thirty seconds you have to get back to your car and press the button you programmed with the garage door remote. That should synch the two systems. I programmed mine to open her door and it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Liftmaster

I have new Liftmaster door openers and they work fine w/ the universal transceiver. You must push the red learn button during the programming sequence, though.

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 05:27 PM   #5
fredtoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325 328 350

Garage List
1986 328  [0.00]
2006 325  [0.00]
I got mine to work.
The first step is to tech your car to learn the hand held remote, This part is a pain in the butt.
The second step is to teach the car to learn the garage door.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2005, 05:27 PM   #6
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Thanks a lot Zack Morris, this is a lot more clear then the dumb manual. A little too much into detail at times... for some reason I find these instructions quite funny:
"...Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold..."
"...Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps..."

I'll post the detail instruction for the 330i <--> Liftmaster from that website so people don't gotta go look.

=========================================

NOTE: Some vehicles may require the ignition to be turned on or to the second (or “accessory” or ACC) position for training and/or operation of HomeLink. It is also recommended that a new battery be replaced in the hand held transmitter of the device being trained to HomeLink for quicker training and accurate transmission of the radio frequency.

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the “cycling” procedure noted in the “View Canadian Instructions” section.

4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.
6. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.

HomeLink should now activate your device.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2005, 09:48 AM   #7
Thumpzilla
Private
Rep
Drives: 330xi/06/Loaded!!

Just got a 330xi, and have "liftmaster" in my complex. Can't get find the lean button on the garage unit? I see the antenna, but no button.

How do you get the car to learn the remote first? I never can get the lights to blink fast which signals it has learned the code..Correct?

I am technially challanged, please go easy on me

Thump
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2005, 10:30 AM   #8
breton
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Manual

And if you are in a gated community with a Liftmaster rolling code remote, there is the added challenge of executing the "red button teach" portion for your entry gate, which are usually locked away.

If anyone has an luck with this, let us know.
      10-26-2005, 12:04 PM   #9
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

I have the Sears model with the rolling code. Look in your liftmaster manual and see if you can find the "Learn" button (someone mentioned this earlier). You have to click on the Learn button on the liftmaster. Just keep trying...good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 09:44 AM   #10
Weaselboy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Mine works with a Liftmaster rolling code model. Like others said, it took a few tries monkeying around with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 01:02 PM   #11
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Do the older (late 80's early 90's) Liftmaster openers with the dip switches work with the Universal Transmitter?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 02:51 PM   #12
BigPapiDoesItAgain
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Porsche Cayenne Base

I have the Phantom belted opener from Overhead Door. It is identical to several other openers under different brands, i.e. Genie. Mine works fine now, but I never could get the homelink in my E39 530 to work. Now I know it is because I was going by the poorly written and incomplete programming instructions included in the BMW owners' manuals. The thing to remember is that after you clear the codes, program the desired button with a working transmitter, and press the learn button on the controller head unit, you must then push the button you have programmed on the homelink repeatedly until the door operates. Pushing it just once might not do it, so push it until the door operates, then release. Here are instructions:

HOMELINK IN-CAR PROGRAMMING INSTRUCTIONS
To program a built-in-car transmitter to a rolling code garage door opener (Genie rolling code is called Intellicode, Liftmaster/Sears is called Security plus), you should take the following steps.

Clear out anything previously programmed into the in-car system from the factory by holding down on the 2-outside buttons simultaneously, until the in-car red light starts flashing rapidly. This may take up to a minute. (In a few cases, some make cars require the keys to be in the ignition, or the car motor must be running, or the car door must be shut)
Decide which button you want to make to be your in-car garage door transmitter. Hold your transmitter up near the selected button, pressing both the garage door remote and the selected in-car transmitter button simultaneously. Hold down on the buttons until the in-car, red light flashes rapidly. this sets the in-car transmitter to be your garage door openers make transmitter, but you are not done. You now need to make this in-car transmitter your personal transmitter.
Go to the Learn Button on your garage door opener. The button is usually right next to the area the floppy antenna is connected to the motor head. With Genie it is most often behind the light lens, and flashes red when pressed. With Sears or Liftmaster (Chamberlain) it is near, or part of, the terminal screw board. Press this learn button momentarily. A red light should start to flash or an amber light come on and stay lit. Go back to the in-car transmitter button you programmed and press this button 3 or 4 times, or until the door starts moving. This should set your in-car transmitter to your garage door opener.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 02:35 PM   #13
warrenatc
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M5

Thanks bigpapi, I was having trouble getting mine to work, but your instructions made it much clearer. It worked first time I programmed it. I think the key is to do both within about 30secs or so, especially with my genie door opener. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 03:17 PM   #14
rossmelvin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330i & E60 530i

pain in the to do
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #15
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
They can be difficult the first time. My E90 took me forever, and I ended up calling Homelink for help. The guy had me hold the remote (to learn) between the windshield and rear view mirror (an angle I had not tried) and that did the trick. When I programmed the E91, I used the same process and got it on the first try!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2005, 04:56 PM   #16
gr8sho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzerofive
Has anyone got those liftmaster garage door remote control to work on the universal transmitter yet? I heard from a friend of my with an older gen M3 said he couldn't get his liftmaster remote to work. Anyone?
"Hold your transmitter up near the selected button".

This was the reason I had to call in. You have to have your remote basically touching the rear-view mirror from behind. You should also have a fresh battery in the remote.
Jet Black - Burl Walnut - Black Leather - 6MT
Sport Package - Premium Package - Cold Weather Package
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2006, 10:42 AM   #17
cnestg8r
Rep
Drives: 330i/jet blk/beige/prem/cold/s

After frustration, I read these threads and tried again. I got two of the buttons to work by putting the handheld between the windshield and mirror as suggested earlier. I haven't gotten the third in several attempts. grrrr...

BTW: I just did the bluetooth connection. It is great! :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 10:12 PM   #18
CALIF65GM
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e93-35 May08 ED

Garage List
Great thread, we just got a new Liftmaster with the rolling code.
Hopefully, I can get it programmed correctly with the instructions posted here.

Debadged 330xi ED 11/14/05 Auto/Mystic Blue/Gray leather with Alum/PP/SP/CA/Fold-down rear seats/Alarm. Sold to Carmax on 6/7/08 with 50,624 miles on clock
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2006, 10:38 PM   #19
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Any of you who do NOT have a rolling code setup - you need to ditch that ancient opener and upgrade, pronto. Some can be retrofitted to modern receiver w/o replacing the whole enchilada. Either way, it needs to be done - the older non-rolling code models are a security hazard. VERY easy for someone to open your door.
      01-04-2007, 02:20 AM   #20
wc19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i AW

hey guys i have one question regarding this step

7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.

For the repeating part do i go back up to press the learn button after doing the press/hold/release or just keep on pressing the homelink button?

btw if anyone has a chamberlain garage system, if you got any tips with that it would be great thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #21
Hsv-Dan
Rep
Drives: 335 Coupe, 04 Cayenne S, 95 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc19
hey guys i have one question regarding this step

For the repeating part do i go back up to press the learn button after doing the press/hold/release or just keep on pressing the homelink button?

btw if anyone has a chamberlain garage system, if you got any tips with that it would be great thanks.
Just the home link button on the mirror. The door should respond to the second or third press of the button.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2007, 03:22 AM   #22
wc19
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsv-Dan
Just the home link button on the mirror. The door should respond to the second or third press of the button.
thx i'll try that later on
Appreciate 0