E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > You know who has bought another car

09-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

You know who has bought another car

Yes palmnuts has been scratching itches again!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Lee.....come on mate, get with the plan! My thread on this is a few below this one!

My review made the front page of Bimmerpost at the weekend. FRONT PAGE! I have the first M6 Competition Pack in the UK (probably be the only one the way these are selling!)

Or....are you referring to the M135i that I ordered on Sunday? Yeah, the missus's Merc bites the dust in a few weeks too and she'll have to slum it in a 1er.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #3
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
Lee.....come on mate, get with the plan! My thread on this is a few below this one!

My review made the front page of Bimmerpost at the weekend. FRONT PAGE! I have the first M6 Competition Pack in the UK (probably be the only one the way these are selling!)

Or....are you referring to the M135i that I ordered on Sunday? Yeah, the missus's Merc bites the dust in a few weeks too and she'll have to slum it in a 1er.
Andrew, what happened to the F30 335d you were getting? Dd you get a good deal on the M135?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

As above. I'm confused.

M135i's seem to be getting given away with lucky bags at the moment.
      09-10-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Real Thing
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT-RS Plus + MK6 Golf R

Quote:

I'll pop round when you get the 1 Series (if that's Ok Andrew) I'm collecting a A45 AMG Monday so would be nice to compare them.
      09-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Quote:

I am most certainley referring to the m135i, I am quite looking forward to hearing what your thoughts are on it as you have had some rather special metal in your collection.

I only noticed you made m135i purchase by browsing piston heads. Well done with the front page review, always a nice read from your good self. Enjoy the m6, don't leave us waiting too long for the m135i review.

Lee
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
Andrew, what happened to the F30 335d you were getting? Dd you get a good deal on the M135?
Impatient! I dont think he could wait for the 335d
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ahhh...the M135i You cunning lot, you!

Yes, well, ahem....when I was ordering the M6 I happened to mention to the sales guy that I was a bit bored of the Merc (you know, the other halfs car that I drive maybe once a week ) and if he could get me into a better car for less money, I'd swap it.

A better car to me meant a loaded 335d and on the day, he couldn't do anything for me. Fast forward a couple of weeks and BMW released some offers on the 335d, followed swiftly by a call from my sales guy saying they were 'blowing the doors off deals and he could not do something for me'. Cue a test drive in a 330d, which didn't feel as well built as the Merc but I thought it drove much better. It gave me a good indication of what the 335d promised and to be fair, they came up trumps with a deal and knocked £11k off a £49k car. It ended up a bit cheaper than the Merc after I cleared a bit of negative equity and it was almost guaranteed to be the much better car. At that price, with 3.9% APR I ordered one immediately for delivery mid-Sept.

Cue a couple of weeks later and bad news - there were production delays on the 335d and delivery wouldn't be until end of December . Well, you know me chaps....I'd have gone off the idea by December and I was also having second thoughts after seeing the 4 series. But there'd be no deals on the 4 series for a few months so that was out of the question.

So, last weekend I thought I'd give one of those pesky M135i's a go to see what all the fuss is about. The dealer lent me theirs for the weekend but I didn't need more than a few minutes to be blown away by the thing. It is outrageously good

That engine. That gearbox. The whole drivetrain is outstanding and fitted in a tight, pointy chassis thats so much fun to drive. The interior is pretty decent too with a great driving position and it's much better quality that the previous 135i that we had.

The not-so-good is the bouncy motorway ride as it never settles down (I drove it 350 miles over the weekend!) so I've specified adaptive dampers that'll hopefully improve things a little. The thing looks like a munter too so I've specified eye patches to hopefully fix that too. I mean, how the heck did BMW ever sign off such a design...but hey, at least in M135i spec with lower suspension and wider wheels, it has a decent stance. I didn't think once about the looks when driving it though

So, I have to wait 6 weeks for it because I had to have electric seats which meant a factory order. And at that point normal service will have resumed....I'll have two BMW's on the drive
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

M135i has the same wheel dimensions as the bog standard M Sport and the adaptive suspension is actually 5mm higher than standard So your car will be extra ugly.

Only kidding, I've always quite liked the f20 looks. It's ugly as sin from some angles but from others it's actually quite a purposeful looking tool.

I'm also happy to report that after 10k miles mine is still rattle and fault free. I know how you hate a rattle. But then I doubt you will keep it 10k miles
      09-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
stupot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40d MSport, 21" wheels

The reviews are all great, but it does have such a sad face.

There were pictures of an imminent facelift in a magazine I read last week, maybe Autoexpress? It said 1 series was to adopt the future 2 series front end soon which they were saying was a huge improvement.

I'd maybe investigate what they meant by soon?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 04:13 AM   #11
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

Palmnuts, what are these light eye patches that you speak of? I've done a google search and come up with zip. Do they actually improve at all on the droopy look?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:18 AM   #12
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

I think he meant patches for his own eyes so he doesn't have to look at the car.

Something I've never noticed until this morning. The old 5GT looks very similar to the 1 series when viewed straight on. They have similar 'tardy looking headlight.

Facelift is supposedly coming early next year but I don't think it's going to look much different if this is anything to go by http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/1-s...facelift-spied
      09-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #13
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Oops, my bad thought he meant he'd found some light mods to improve that awful front end.

That new facelift looks to have at least addressed the droopy light issue which would be a result.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Thing View Post
I'll pop round when you get the 1 Series (if that's Ok Andrew) I'm collecting a A45 AMG Monday so would be nice to compare them.
Sure, no probs mate - be good to see the A45 too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
M135i has the same wheel dimensions as the bog standard M Sport and the adaptive suspension is actually 5mm higher than standard So your car will be extra ugly.
Really, is this the case re the suspension? I am surprised as it just looks to have a nice stance on the road. I know the wheels are the same size as M-Sports but UI thought they may have different widths. As it happens though, the M-Sport also looks very similar....it's mainly non M-Sports that you see on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stupot View Post
The reviews are all great, but it does have such a sad face.

There were pictures of an imminent facelift in a magazine I read last week, maybe Autoexpress? It said 1 series was to adopt the future 2 series front end soon which they were saying was a huge improvement.

I'd maybe investigate what they meant by soon?
Well, from what I've seen of the facelift, it will have more conventional lights but not really sure they make it look better. They look too big for the size of car on this pictures I've seen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
Palmnuts, what are these light eye patches that you speak of? I've done a google search and come up with zip. Do they actually improve at all on the droopy look?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
I think he meant patches for his own eyes so he doesn't have to look at the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
Oops, my bad thought he meant he'd found some light mods to improve that awful front end.
^^^THIS^^^^ is hilarious! Guvernator, you were actually serious in your first question weren't you The patches certainly do improve the look, they make everything black
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #15
Guvernator
Captain
Rep

Probably spent too much time in my youth looking at modded VW's where believe it or not, eye patches for the car are a real phenomenon
Appreciate 0