E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Xenon to Halogen Conversion?

01-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Xenon to Halogen Conversion?

I know, I know.. you're all thinking "Why?"

Here's the deal; I'd like to send my AHL Xenon headlights out to Umnitza to have V4 angel eyes installed. Since I only have one car, I can't afford to just not have headlights for a week. So my thought is maybe I can snag a cheap pair of halogens on ebay to run for that time.

Anyone know if this will work? If I can make it plug-and-play and get me by for the week, even with an error code, I think it would be worth it.
      01-31-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
I know, I know.. you're all thinking "Why?"

Here's the deal; I'd like to send my AHL Xenon headlights out to Umnitza to have V4 angel eyes installed. Since I only have one car, I can't afford to just not have headlights for a week. So my thought is maybe I can snag a cheap pair of halogens on ebay to run for that time.

Anyone know if this will work? If I can make it plug-and-play and get me by for the week, even with an error code, I think it would be worth it.
You will be sorry for sending your headlights to UMNITZA.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Op, your title is a little misleading. I'm like who would want to convert their xenons to halogens lol.

Bobkur, what kind of beef do you have with Umnitza? I like to hear it
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBKUR View Post
I always love when people give me cryptic internet advice but can't explain their reasoning. Care to share?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
Op, your title is a little misleading. I'm like who would want to convert their xenons to halogens lol.
I figured it was crazy/confusing enough that people would have to look, haha.
      01-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Quote:
Explain or ban
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #6
BOBKUR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post

Bobkur, what kind of beef do you have with Umnitza? I like to hear it
I had bought a set of headlights from them and they were complete crap. Projectors falling out of them, wrong ballast, sloppy wiring, and the list goes on. Trying to get a refund was another nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
e90postlogin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

fravel,
i just bought some orion 4 from them and not one issue i'm a fan of them on the facebook page and they post awesome work that they do
i'm having oss install them for me next week cuz they are closer
they just did Sergio Romo's M6 and some other really cool cars on facebook
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, I'm following them on facebook, too. I'm currently running a set of their ICE V5's as just a bulb replacement, but I keep seeing their work show up in my newsfeed and want to go for the full led ring.

I'm now at the point that I might just order the kit and do the work myself. I want to wrap my ambers in silver CF and upgrade the projector lenses too.
      01-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #9
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335i

Garage List
Hello all,
I am glad umnitza is being talked about because I have heard some horror stories about them and so good stuff too. I have a 2006 E90 325i pre-lci with halogen headlights and I have been wanting to go with the lci looking setup but it is very expensive.

I know you get what you pay for and I am not opposed to getting oem lci xenon headlights and buying all of the bulbs, ballasts, and what ever else is needed for a price tag of around 1400.00. But I have found these at umnitza's website and really like the fact that they can do the Depo P90 v2 setup for me. Here's the link:http://www.umnitza.com/projector90-w...ir-p-1167.html

What do you guys think about this set up? Does anybody have any experience with this kind of setup? Has anybody purchased it from them? I would love to hear some stories good and bad from all of you. I truly value everyone's opinion on here. I have bought many mods from vendors and individuals on here and have just about everything I have been looking for except for this big purchase.
Thanks in advance for your feedback!

11' 335i -M-Sport/LeMans Blue Metallic/Sport/Premium/AT - Current
06' 325i -Base/Arctic Metallic/MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Very nice setup man. I love the custom look of your lights. Thanks for posting them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90postlogin View Post
fravel,
i just bought some orion 4 from them and not one issue i'm a fan of them on the facebook page and they post awesome work that they do

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
How long ago did you have this experience? Did they fix it for you or give you your money back? If so then at least the stand behind their product. Maybe they had a disgruntled worker or something. Not making excuses for them but this stuff happens.

Quote:
I had bought a set of headlights from them and they were complete crap. Projectors falling out of them, wrong ballast, sloppy wiring, and the list goes on. Trying to get a refund was another nightmare.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
BOBKUR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yEBMW View Post
How long ago did you have this experience? Did they fix it for you or give you your money back? If so then at least the stand behind their product. Maybe they had a disgruntled worker or something. Not making excuses for them but this stuff happens.
It happened last year and I had to file a claim with the credit card company.If you do some research on them you will be surprised.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It happened last year and I had to file a claim with the credit card company.If you do some research on them you will be surprised.
Well I guess it just makes sense spending the money to get the quality OEM lci xenon headlights. After doing some research last night I am looking at around 1500 for everything that is needed. I guess it will be worth it in the end when I have the look that I want without all the hassle.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #14
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I agree, if you're wanting to go halogen to xenon, OEM is the way to do it.

Now, does anyone know if OEM halogen lights will plug and play into a xenon car? I don't care about error codes too much.
      02-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
BOBKUR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel View Post
I agree, if you're wanting to go halogen to xenon, OEM is the way to do it.

Now, does anyone know if OEM halogen lights will plug and play into a xenon car? I don't care about error codes too much.
Everything I have read say's no. Halogen to Xenon works with modifications but xenon to halogen is a no go. Looking at Depo light sites they all state for cars with halogen setups only, not compatible with factory oem xenon.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

I think there is a major difference between the aftermarket P90 setup and them adding rings to an oem set.

Op, mind pm'ing how much the damage was and what does it include? Fortunately I can do without the car for a week. I want rings and a blackout.
      02-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
BRGmatthew
Bausman
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the block

Quote:
Hello all,
I am glad umnitza is being talked about because I have heard some horror stories about them and so good stuff too. I have a 2006 E90 325i pre-lci with halogen headlights and I have been wanting to go with the lci looking setup but it is very expensive.

I know you get what you pay for and I am not opposed to getting oem lci xenon headlights and buying all of the bulbs, ballasts, and what ever else is needed for a price tag of around 1400.00. But I have found these at umnitza's website and really like the fact that they can do the Depo P90 v2 setup for me. Here's the link:http://www.umnitza.com/projector90-w...ir-p-1167.html

What do you guys think about this set up? Does anybody have any experience with this kind of setup? Has anybody purchased it from them? I would love to hear some stories good and bad from all of you. I truly value everyone's opinion on here. I have bought many mods from vendors and individuals on here and have just about everything I have been looking for except for this big purchase.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #18
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmegetatthat View Post
Op, mind pm'ing how much the damage was and what does it include? Fortunately I can do without the car for a week. I want rings and a blackout.
I haven't even got a quote yet. Want to decide if it's even feasible for me to do before I waste their time. If I can't come up with a way to be without my headlights for a week then I'm going to have to do the work myself on a weekend.
      02-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Hello all,

They are shit! YOu get what you pay for. A dude from my gym decided to go that route after he saw my headlights. Told him to go OEM but he figured this was a better deal. Long story short, five months later he had his halogens back on. He was having all sorts of issues with these headlights.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #20
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My bad just didn't want to overkill the subject. Wasn't trying to take over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGmatthew View Post

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #21
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yea I think its gonna be the OEM xenon route for me. I will just take my time and buy the parts as I have money. Shouldn't take too long. Thanks for everyone's feedback and sorry for butting in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
They are shit! YOu get what you pay for. A dude from my gym decided to go that route after he saw my headlights. Told him to go OEM but he figured this was a better deal. Long story short, five months later he had his halogens back on. He was having all sorts of issues with these headlights.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #22
manutdas11
EL JIMMY NEURON
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90postlogin View Post
fravel,

Sergio Romo's Supercharged M6!! haha I know cuz it was at the shop I always go to. It's one beast of a car haha
Appreciate 0