E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Stripped Oil Bolt Help

05-23-2007, 01:21 AM   #1
aimare4losers
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: silver

Stripped Oil Bolt Help

i was changing my oil today and while i was trying to unscrew my oil bolt i notice i was repeatedly ratcheting off the bolt but it went nowhere..it was turning but just stayed in place..now the oil bolt is slightly loose but cant be tighten anymore and is slightly leaking oil....wat do i do helpppppp
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 02:02 AM   #2
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Here is a thought....

Note that you should have a new ratchet and oil bolt on hand and ready to be used. With that said..get the existing ratchet or another item, use some sort of glue to bond that item to the bolt. Autozone sells compounds that will bond metal to metal. Once the two items are bonded, take out the bolt. Throw bolt and item used to bond away. Replace with new bolt and use new ratchet to finish the job.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 02:27 AM   #3
nexus66
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I think I get you w4j - bond something onto the bolt so that you can exert a pulling force while unscrewing?? Might work! Just gotta worry about the threads on the sump being stripped - in which case it's a new sump and gasket!