E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Can't read FRM with INPA

02-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
srohang1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2006 325i

Can't read FRM with INPA

Hi all,

I am upgrading from FRM1 to FRM2. I was able to source the module from another member on this forum.

I am trying to read my FRM module "Ident" part number so I can program it to my car using winKFP. I am getting an error though when I click on Footwell Module in INPA. See the attached screenshot. 'FRM_87' not found

INPA was able to read the airbag test with no errors. NCSexpert work perfect for coding (haven't tried to code FRM though). I have v45 daten files.

Is this module locked or am i missing something?? Any help could be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
xxxjecxxx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
alternate solution:

read your current frm and make a backup of the TRC file.
plug in your new frm2 and make a backup of the TRC.
compare the two files using http://www.comparemyfiles.com/

Program your new one based on values of your old one (the ones that are present)

That's how I programmed my FRM when I replaced it about a year ago. I went from defective FRM1 to FRM1

enjoy your new available mods in frm2
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

But FRM 2 module has more values than frm 1...so that method won't work well.

OP, you can probably get away with not needing the indent number. You just need to know what family it's from (which should have stated on the FRM module itself FRM pl2 or something). This will be used when you flash the module in winKfp.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
xxxjecxxx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
just in case you can't get WinKFP to work.

you won't be able to read every module with v45. Especially FRM or NFRM.
Sometimes (a lot actually) I find that even after program all other modules with v44 or v45, I have to go back to v39,v41,42 to program NFRM.

Again, just suggesting the way I would do it. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
srohang1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxjecxxx View Post
just in case you can't get WinKFP to work.

you won't be able to read every module with v45. Especially FRM or NFRM.
Sometimes (a lot actually) I find that even after program all other modules with v44 or v45, I have to go back to v39,v41,42 to program NFRM.

Again, just suggesting the way I would do it. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
But FRM 2 module has more values than frm 1...so that method won't work well.

OP, you can probably get away with not needing the indent number. You just need to know what family it's from (which should have stated on the FRM module itself FRM pl2 or something). This will be used when you flash the module in winKfp.
Thanks guys for the suggestions. After messing around in INPA I did find the ZUSB number by choosing E90, then when the menu list came up the top option was selected (first option listed above engine, transmission, chassis etc.), then I selected 'Functional Jobs', and finally I selected F2 (I think) to see the identity # of the different modules in my car.

I was able to use winKFP to program the FRM2 and tools32 to write the VIN using the script fvin. BTW DESI, in winKFP my module was under the FRM2 ecu type when I entered my ZUSB, but I did see the FRMPL2 type there as well...

OK, so now here is my problem, FML...I have coded a few things to the .MAN file for welcome lights, but nothing has changed. When I lock my car, the regular lights still flash twice and when I unlock the doors, only the door handle lights and interiors come on. I have attached the .MAN file that I coded.

Any ideas???? I've spent countless hours trying to figure this out.......

here are the welcome light values to save time from looking at the man file:

WELCOME_LIGHT_ACTIVE
aktiv
WL_AL
hart_einschalten
WL_BLK_H
nicht_aktiv
WL_BLK_V
soft_einschalten
WL_DAUER
wert_01
WL_FL
nicht_aktiv
WL_KZL
soft_einschalten
WL_MAX_DAUER
wert_01
WL_NSL
nicht_aktiv
WL_NSW
soft_einschalten
WL_POL
hart_einschalten
WL_SL_1
hart_einschalten
WL_SL_2
hart_einschalten

Any ideas???? DESI, I know it's a pain, but if you could help me out and send me your .man file of your NFRM so I can compare them that would help me out so damn much. I've spent countless hours trying to figure this out.......
Attached Files
File Type: txt FSW_PSW.txt (34.7 KB, 459 views)
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #6
srohang1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

OKAY! I've been pulling my hair out for no reason......it works!!! had to put the switch on auto...DUHHHHH! thanks for everyones help! now i'm going to try to type up a DIY for this.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
GB///M
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, X5 M60i

Looking forward to the DIY
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
mike1973
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxjecxxx View Post
alternate solution:

read your current frm and make a backup of the TRC file.
plug in your new frm2 and make a backup of the TRC.
compare the two files using http://www.comparemyfiles.com/

Program your new one based on values of your old one (the ones that are present)

That's how I programmed my FRM when I replaced it about a year ago. I went from defective FRM1 to FRM1

enjoy your new available mods in frm2
Hi guys,

A noob question coming up

If I get a new frm2 module from the dealer to replace my frm1 would the process of coding above work to program the new module?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
srohang1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1973 View Post
Hi guys,

A noob question coming up

If I get a new frm2 module from the dealer to replace my frm1 would the process of coding above work to program the new module?
the above will definitely work, but I dont think you need to all of the above steps because a new module will not have any older VIN written to it. but just to be safe, follow the above and you will be fine (even tho you may not need to do all of it).

fyi, do some research on FGNR SCHREIBEN, this is suppose to work as well.

EDIT: find this thread.... "FRM1 to FRM2 Upgrade, programming modules?"
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by srohang1 View Post

Any ideas???? DESI, I know it's a pain, but if you could help me out and send me your .man file of your NFRM so I can compare them that would help me out so damn much. I've spent countless hours trying to figure this out.......
Srohang, those people who do not have auto on their headlight, how should they turn on welcome lights?

I have also spend countless hours and changed all the lines but could not get it working.
Any suggestions, anybody?
      06-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
srohang1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Srohang, those people who do not have auto on their headlight, how should they turn on welcome lights?

I have also spend countless hours and changed all the lines but could not get it working.
Any suggestions, anybody?
makkan00 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

hmmmm, i didnt know they made e90s without the automatic headlight switch option....sorry, i have no idea what to do in that case
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #12
Edmond357
Rep
Drives: 330i E90

Hey guys
question:
i am also going to upgrade my frm1 to frm2 , no problems
but:
my car has no lichtautomatic and no navi

will the welcomelight work?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
mike1973
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB///M3 View Post
Looking forward to the DIY
x2.. looking foward to it in order to replace my frm1
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #14
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335i

Garage List
DIY?

Quote:
OKAY! I've been pulling my hair out for no reason......it works!!! had to put the switch on auto...DUHHHHH! thanks for everyones help! now i'm going to try to type up a DIY for this.
Did you ever make a DIY for this?

11' 335i -M-Sport/LeMans Blue Metallic/Sport/Premium/AT - Current
06' 325i -Base/Arctic Metallic/MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
yEBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 335i

Garage List
How to use write_fvin in tool32

Quote:
Thanks guys for the suggestions. After messing around in INPA I did find the ZUSB number by choosing E90, then when the menu list came up the top option was selected (first option listed above engine, transmission, chassis etc.), then I selected 'Functional Jobs', and finally I selected F2 (I think) to see the identity # of the different modules in my car.

I was able to use winKFP to program the FRM2 and tools32 to write the VIN using the script fvin. BTW DESI, in winKFP my module was under the FRM2 ecu type when I entered my ZUSB, but I did see the FRMPL2 type there as well...

OK, so now here is my problem, FML...I have coded a few things to the .MAN file for welcome lights, but nothing has changed. When I lock my car, the regular lights still flash twice and when I unlock the doors, only the door handle lights and interiors come on. I have attached the .MAN file that I coded.

here are the welcome light values to save time from looking at the man file:

WELCOME_LIGHT_ACTIVE
aktiv
WL_AL
hart_einschalten
WL_BLK_H
nicht_aktiv
WL_BLK_V
soft_einschalten
WL_DAUER
wert_01
WL_FL
nicht_aktiv
WL_KZL
soft_einschalten
WL_MAX_DAUER
wert_01
WL_NSL
nicht_aktiv
WL_NSW
soft_einschalten
WL_POL
hart_einschalten
WL_SL_1
hart_einschalten
WL_SL_2
hart_einschalten

I have a question about the following:
I was able to use winKFP to program the FRM2 and tools32 to write the VIN using the script fvin.

I have figured out how to use winkfp to update the FRM2 but now I have searched all over the place and can't figure out how to use tool32 to write the vin. It is in german so I can't read the comments which may help. But the steps I am taking is to
1) connect cable to car, connect cable to laptop via usb
2) open INPA to make sure I have two black dots which tells me everything is connected.
3) open tool32 and load FRM_70.PRG cause I believe that is the ecu for the FRM2 module(Please correct me if I am wrong, I am new to coding and tool32)
4)scroll down to read_fvin hit f5 and look at job results(when I do this I see the vin of the last vehicle this was attached to not mine)
5) here's where I should be able to use the write_fvin to write my vin to the frm2 module..(here's where I'm confused cause when I select fvin it says 1 argument: fvin and that entire box is yellow, so I enter my entire vin in the line below argument, the one with the empty drop down, and then I hit f5 but the results say error_vin or something to that effect, I am at work and can't remember the exact wording. But it won't write my vin)

So please can someone please give me some simple steps I can follow to fix this?

Thanks

11' 335i -M-Sport/LeMans Blue Metallic/Sport/Premium/AT - Current
06' 325i -Base/Arctic Metallic/MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
ChrizLoud
F11 520D LCI - Stage I
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520D LCI - Stage I

Quote:
Hi all,

I am upgrading from FRM1 to FRM2. I was able to source the module from another member on this forum.

I am trying to read my FRM module "Ident" part number so I can program it to my car using winKFP. I am getting an error though when I click on Footwell Module in INPA. See the attached screenshot. 'FRM_87' not found

INPA was able to read the airbag test with no errors. NCSexpert work perfect for coding (haven't tried to code FRM though). I have v45 daten files.

Is this module locked or am i missing something?? Any help could be greatly appreciated.
Can you access it with INPA now to read out fault codes? Cus i have the same problem even that i did everything right or is it maybe that my INPA installation is to old?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #17
Pilot1981
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d xdrive lci

Hi,
Anyone know how to read FRM3 from INPA?
What I need?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #18
jagster936
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335D

Cannot read NFRM

I have a 335d so E90 2010 bmw. I have been heavily reading and researching. I have coded other modules but can't seem to read the NFRM. From bits and pieces scavenged in mostly this forum, do I need an OLDER DATEN version like v41 or something? I also just downloaded V69 and V68 and can try those. I'm not sure what version I have on the computer but it was downloaded a year or two ago from somewhere, not sure. I get error when try to download using NCS Expert:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 04:15 PM   #19
jagster936
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335D

As an update, I updated my DATEN to v69 or whatever latest one that is out; then used BMW coding tool to properly update the folders. Retried everything and it worked flawlessly. I also had 16ms latency for some reason on my surface tablet, set it back to 1. I think the latency caused some of my periodic intermittent comms timeouts on the car.

Thx!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #20
Mert335d
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335d LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
@Pilot1981 You need the correct Installation of Standard Tools and your Interface (Latency to 1ms). After that you should be able connect to your car and select the FRM Module in INPA
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 12:58 PM   #21
rig87
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335I LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mert335d View Post
@Pilot1981 You need the correct Installation of Standard Tools and your Interface (Latency to 1ms). After that you should be able connect to your car and select the FRM Module in INPA
I have downloaded the Bimmergeeks software suite, and cannot see the FRM3, also when trying to read data in Tool32 I get the IHF-0009 error (cannot connect to the module) I have messed around in INPA and can connect to most modules so i believe my install and cable are working (I was able to code for a new battery in Tool32. For some reason my Ignition doesnt show in as black dot in INPA, I have searched the forums and google for days now and cannot find a solution. (also i have reinstalled the software a couple of times.)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 04:28 PM   #22
ImDMan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i

I have been reading all these posts trying to understand the coding to fix my right angel eye
Which has been not working since I bought my used 2006 330i a year ago. I tried replacing the light but it still didn’t work. It sounds like the circuit can be reset and the angel eye will possibly work again without having to spend hundreds more on FRM module.
I am horrible at coding and computer stuff in general and was hoping there was somebody that Could post a step by step on how to do this but for a layman with only basic computer knowledge? Then I could fix my car so that my angel eyes will finally work.
I have a laptop with all BMW coding tools and the cord. I just don’t wanna screw up my car by trying to do something I have no experience working with.

Last edited by ImDMan; 08-21-2022 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 0