E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How to Reset Oil Service

02-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
SoGood
Banned
Rep
Drives: TIAG E90 328i

How to Reset Oil Service

Okay, i just recently had an oil change and would like to know how to reset my oil service. I change my oil before it needed to be change because i plan on keeping my car for a long time. I've looked all over this forum and all the answers are blunt. Someone, please tell me how to reset the oil indicator? It says 21,000 on my oil logo. Is this right? or has it been reset already?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
deluxe 247
Shake and Bake
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Step 1
Insert key into slot
Step 2
Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to dissapear.
Step 3
Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.
Step 4
You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.
Step 5
When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done
Step 6
You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
SoGood
Banned
Rep

Yea, i did that on step 3 but, no service menu. Hmmm ill give it a another try. Thanks for your help. you should do a video on this. believe it or not there really arent good video on how to do this. Some ppl just dont explain it right in the video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe 247 View Post
Step 1
Insert key into slot
Step 2
Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to dissapear.
Step 3
Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.
Step 4
You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.
Step 5
When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done
Step 6
You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Here it is an a bit better english:

Step 1
Insert the ignition key into the dash slot.

Step 2
Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to disappear.

Step 3
Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset button in the gauge area. After 3 seconds a warning triangle will appear, keep the ODO button pressed and after another 2-3 seconds the Oilcan symbol will appear. If the button is held too long (10 seconds in total) the screen will show some German writing that gives the software level/can bus etc. of the car. This situation means the reset menu has been overridden. Go back to the beginning and start again.

Step 4
Once the service item (e.g. the Oilcan symbol) appears the computer is the service (reset) menu. Use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items that can be reset.

Step 5
When the item to be reset is showing (e.g. the Oilcan symbol), press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. “Reset” should now appear in the display. Press and hold the BC button for 2-3 seconds until a small clock symbol begins to whirl around. The clock symbol stops when the reset action is complete.

Step 6
The system can now be either scrolled up/down to select another item to reset (as in step 4), or press the start/stop button to exit.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
SoGood
Banned
Rep

Okay i think i reset it, should it say 29,000 till next oil service?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Here it is an a bit better english:

Step 1
Insert the ignition key into the dash slot.

Step 2
Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to disappear.

Step 3
Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset button in the gauge area. After 3 seconds a warning triangle will appear, keep the ODO button pressed and after another 2-3 seconds the Oilcan symbol will appear. If the button is held too long (10 seconds in total) the screen will show some German writing that gives the software level/can bus etc. of the car. This situation means the reset menu has been overridden. Go back to the beginning and start again.

Step 4
Once the service item (e.g. the Oilcan symbol) appears the computer is the service (reset) menu. Use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items that can be reset.

Step 5
When the item to be reset is showing (e.g. the Oilcan symbol), press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. “Reset” should now appear in the display. Press and hold the BC button for 2-3 seconds until a small clock symbol begins to whirl around. The clock symbol stops when the reset action is complete.

Step 6
The system can now be either scrolled up/down to select another item to reset (as in step 4), or press the start/stop button to exit.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGood View Post
Okay i think i reset it, should it say 29,000 till next oil service?
29,000 seems about twice as much as it should be. I've seen my car state as high as 19,000, but my OCIs average around 17.5K. It looks like you reset the system when it already said 21,000 (i.e. it had already been reset), so you've probably confused the logic built into the CBS.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's really just a fancy clock in some respects. What the system really does is use a math formula and several different data to determine when the next oil service is due. What resetting the CBS does is just tell the computer at what mileage the oil was changed. By mileage it means the actual total miles on the car as displayed by the odometer. The CBS will then use the parameters it is designed to monitor, such as miles driven, cold starts, engine temperature profile, and an electrical measurement of the cleanliness of the oil to determine when the next oil change is due. The mileage interval for the next oil change is just an estimate the computer determines based on the past oil change intervals; but it is just an estimate and will adjust downward over time as the system collects the data mentioned above, measures the oil contamination level, and does the calculations.

Just leave it alone for now. Besides, you one of the owners that does not pay attention the oil life monitor in the CBS and the BMW schedule OCI, so why do you care anyway? If you are going to change the oil every 7,500 miles like some people do, then just write down the mileage when the oil was changed and add 7,500 miles to it so you know when to have the oil changed next time (that’s call old school – actually writing down something on a piece of paper and keeping the paper so you don’t have to try and remember what you wrote down).

You are having trouble with this because you are not using the system the for the purpose it was engineered. The oil life monitor in the CBS is meant to be used as it was indented, which means to change the oil when it indicates to do so. If you don’t believe in it, or trust BMWs judgment on when the oil should be changed in the engines it has designed, engineered, and tested, then don’t use the CBS oil life monitor system and just go old school and keep track of when to change the oil by a predetermined mileage. I’m sure there is a phone app for it…
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #7
SoGood
Banned
Rep

Haha thank you so much man..
Im just gonna go old school. i guess i reset it twice once it was at 21,000.
Im not to worry. thanks again and i completely understand how it operates now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
29,000 seems about twice as much as it should be. I've seen my car state as high as 19,000, but my OCIs average around 17.5K. It looks like you reset the system when it already said 21,000 (i.e. it had already been reset), so you've probably confused the logic built into the CBS.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's really just a fancy clock in some respects. What the system really does is use a math formula and several different data to determine when the next oil service is due. What resetting the CBS does is just tell the computer at what mileage the oil was changed. By mileage it means the actual total miles on the car as displayed by the odometer. The CBS will then use the parameters it is designed to monitor, such as miles driven, cold starts, engine temperature profile, and an electrical measurement of the cleanliness of the oil to determine when the next oil change is due. The mileage interval for the next oil change is just an estimate the computer determines based on the past oil change intervals; but it is just an estimate and will adjust downward over time as the system collects the data mentioned above, measures the oil contamination level, and does the calculations.

Just leave it alone for now. Besides, you one of the owners that does not pay attention the oil life monitor in the CBS and the BMW schedule OCI, so why do you care anyway? If you are going to change the oil every 7,500 miles like some people do, then just write down the mileage when the oil was changed and add 7,500 miles to it so you know when to have the oil changed next time (that’s call old school – actually writing down something on a piece of paper and keeping the paper so you don’t have to try and remember what you wrote down).

You are having trouble with this because you are not using the system the for the purpose it was engineered. The oil life monitor in the CBS is meant to be used as it was indented, which means to change the oil when it indicates to do so. If you don’t believe in it, or trust BMWs judgment on when the oil should be changed in the engines it has designed, engineered, and tested, then don’t use the CBS oil life monitor system and just go old school and keep track of when to change the oil by a predetermined mileage. I’m sure there is a phone app for it…
Appreciate 0