E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Dealer wash car or no?

10-16-2007, 10:02 PM   #23
AH
Major
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: E90 320i

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
just A BIG NO NO.

Mods: Remus, Blacklines, Hartge, ACS, Breyton, Eibach, 20" Lative
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 10:11 PM   #24
Stinger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Garage List
2007 335i E93  [7.00]
1993 318is  [0.00]
1996 Z3 1.9  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
I never let the dealer wash my ride.
+1. Hand wash every time. Machine wash causes swirl marks and sometimes scratches.
      10-16-2007, 10:14 PM   #25
azbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: rickshaw

I'm curious. Is the overwhelming amount of people that wash their own car because they are enthusiasts (thus spending time on this forum)? Or is it because their dealers have bad facilities to wash their cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 10:36 PM   #26
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

i'd never let them, my honest SA told me that he doesnt recomend i get my car washed at the dealer

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 10:38 PM   #27
fragadellic
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbmw View Post
I'm curious. Is the overwhelming amount of people that wash their own car because they are enthusiasts (thus spending time on this forum)? Or is it because their dealers have bad facilities to wash their cars?
Both. Unfortunately I think the vast majority of owners (not most of the folks on this sub-forum) either (1) don't care, or (2) have so much money that they just have the car professionally detailed to fix the swirls when it gets bad enough.

I look at the care and maintenance of Black Sapphire Metallic as a pleasure but some look at it as a chore. To each his own, I guess...
      10-16-2007, 10:39 PM   #28
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
id have to say they're enthusiasts, becuase unless you really care about your car, then i dont see why someone would pursue detailing knowledge and skills. If i didnt care about my car or its condition, then i wouldnt take the care of it that i do. So the only reason i went after proper detailing skills was for the love of my car. Make sense?

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 10:42 PM   #29
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragadellic View Post
Both. Unfortunately I think the vast majority of owners (not most of the folks on this sub-forum) either (1) don't care, or (2) have so much money that they just have the car professionally detailed to fix the swirls when it gets bad enough.

I look at the care and maintenance of Black Sapphire Metallic as a pleasure but some look at it as a chore. To each his own, I guess...
+1 i totally agree, i've got black sapphire as well and though sometimes its pretty difficult to maintain, i still do it and love to sit back and look at it.

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 11:42 AM   #30
theYardie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I (e92)

Quote:
+1 If the showroom cars have swirls don't let that dealer wash the car.

Basically I am saying there are ways to decide if you should allow the dealer to wash your car....Another person mentioned looking at the showroom cars. All are good ways to decide how much of a risk you are taking having the dealer wash the car. As another member posted his dealer has great facilities as does my local dealer.
This post you made proves my point. Yes, there are other ways to decide whether to let the dealer wash your car. The last method you want to deploy is to actually test out the dealer wash by letting them wash YOUR car. I might have misread your post but in reading it I got the impression you were suggesting finding out how well the dealer washes by letting them wash your car. It made me scratched my head since I didn't understand the logic. Also, by saying you would refuse to sign the papers reinforces the notion that you MUST NOT let the dealer wash your new car if you don't have evidence of how well they wash cars.

Even if the dealer has great facilities you're taking a risk. They could have a newb wash your car. In the end the safest way is to educate yourself on the right way and do it yourself. That's what I did.
      10-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #31
theYardie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335I (e92)

Quote:
For me it's 1) because after having swirls on my last car I refuse to let anyone touch my new car. By doing it myself I know I do it the proper way and I know clean towels are being used. Even if I screw it up I would feel better than if someone else messed it up; and 2) since I care enough about swirls, I guess I love my car. I also love spending time with it and washing it affords me the time. I usually look forward to washing it. I don't know how long that feeling will last though. WIth past cars it has been around year 5 or 6. Maybe when I start seeing major wear to the point I start thinking about a new car.