E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Red light ticket. Am I screwed?

08-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
Pylon
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Red light ticket. Am I screwed?

Greetings everyone,

So I just got in the mail a red light ticket from one of those automated cameras. Bayview and Cummer going north. It said I entered the intersection when the light was red for 000.4 seconds and proceeded through the intersection when the light had been red for 001.3 seconds.

Any thoughts guys on what I should do?

I'll start reading those sites on tickets.

http://www.fyst.ca/
http://fightyourtickets.ca/how-to-fi...arking-ticket/
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90h08_e.htm
http://www.ticketcombat.com/instructions.php
http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282305
      08-27-2010, 10:37 PM   #2
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Hire a ticket fighter...
      08-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
TECH
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

ITS not worth it, doesn't cost you any demerit points and its like a parking ticket just go book and court date and hope fully the cop doesn't show up.
That ticket is around 110 and a lawyer is going to cost you around 200 and if you don't get off its going to cost you the price of the ticket.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 12:51 AM   #4
DimSum
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: SLOW

ticket fighter, real easy to fight off.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
t7n7
CYNOSURE
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla ModelS - waiting...

90% of the time, when you take it to court, you end up getting off easy cuz the prosecutor gives you an option to avoid wasting time for an actual trial. Most of the time, that option is something minicule compared to the actual ticket...

AND if the cop doesn't show up, even better... just take it to court and set a trial date... don't waste your money on lawyers.. this ain't as serious. i'm sure you can think of many reasons to argue over an electronic device.

"camera device lag" ,
"road had bumps which was unsafe to slam the brakes"
"big truck in front of me where i couldn't see the lights and by the time i saw it, it was too late to hit the brakes"
"i used my judgement to make the safest option for both my passengers and myself... car had a load in the trunk, couldn't stop in time as i would've ended up in the middle of hte intersection"
"i was only going at (10 below the limit), so while crossing the intersection, it took longer"

sooo much shit you can say... don't worry...
09' X650i loaded hud/comfort/sports/premium/audio/coldweather/power - the beast / 03' G35c electrochromic tints - www.youtube.com/wisht7n7 - the baby / 02' TL internet/satTV/massage seats - the entertainer / 10' TSX - currently modding - Go kart / TESLA MODEL S - Signature Edition #73 2012
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by t7n7 View Post
90% of the time, when you take it to court, you end up getting off easy cuz the prosecutor gives you an option to avoid wasting time for an actual trial. Most of the time, that option is something minicule compared to the actual ticket...

AND if the cop doesn't show up, even better... just take it to court and set a trial date... don't waste your money on lawyers.. this ain't as serious. i'm sure you can think of many reasons to argue over an electronic device.

"camera device lag" ,
"road had bumps which was unsafe to slam the brakes"
"big truck in front of me where i couldn't see the lights and by the time i saw it, it was too late to hit the brakes"
"i used my judgement to make the safest option for both my passengers and myself... car had a load in the trunk, couldn't stop in time as i would've ended up in the middle of hte intersection"
"i was only going at (10 below the limit), so while crossing the intersection, it took longer"

sooo much shit you can say... don't worry...
There will be no cop involved since it's a Red light photo ticket

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
t7n7
CYNOSURE
Canada
Rep

ya.. i think i got side tracked...

i saw u today bwoi... nice ride. quads lookin good.
09' X650i loaded hud/comfort/sports/premium/audio/coldweather/power - the beast / 03' G35c electrochromic tints - www.youtube.com/wisht7n7 - the baby / 02' TL internet/satTV/massage seats - the entertainer / 10' TSX - currently modding - Go kart / TESLA MODEL S - Signature Edition #73 2012
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:26 AM   #8
AP2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: P100D

I received one of these tickets in the mail couple months back and had my fine reduced significantly. Ticket fighters will not fight these for you as there is no prove of who was driving the vehicle. I was told by Pointss that it is next to impossible to fight these camera tickets, and no points will be deducted anyway, so might as well suck it up and move on.

Go into the traffic violations department of the court on an early morning before the due date printed on the ticket. Dress nice and tidy to court. IIRC there are three options on the ticket and you have to choose "plead guilty with an explaination". Tell reception that you would like to discuss about the red light infraction ticket that you've got and they'll schedule you to meet with a Justice of Peace/Prosecutor in the same morning. Then you wait in the traffic violations waiting area until the clerk calls your name to go upstairs in meeting the JP. You get to meet the JP in a room. Show your remorse and be nice to the JP, valid reasons (e.g. being a student) would also help the JP to use his discretion to lower the fine and extend the payment deadline.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
OP take it to court. The only way you'll be able to get off if the Crown didn't receive or forgot to bring pictures to court as evidence.

Worst case scenario you'll be able to get a reduced fine to $60+ Admin fees.

It can impact your insurance rates.... just hope Crown doesn't receive or forgets to bring the PICs.

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:27 AM   #10
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

What really irritates me about these red light tickets is that the companies that MAKE the camera systems usually install them for free, but get HALF of all the revenue!

There have been countless reports on how inaccurate red light cameras are (you getting a ticket for someone else running the light) so you should be able to beat it with some research on case law.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #11
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by t7n7 View Post
ya.. i think i got side tracked...

i saw u today bwoi... nice ride. quads lookin good.
Yeah, drop by to meet up with my buddy who lives in that area.

Thank you, you should of came over to say Hello ... Oh well we'll get a chance to get introduced tomorrow, hopefully you're still coming for Wasaga cruise

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:35 AM   #12
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP2 View Post
I received one of these tickets in the mail couple months back and had my fine reduced significantly. Ticket fighters will not fight these for you as there is no prove of who was driving the vehicle. I was told by Pointss that it is next to impossible to fight these camera tickets, and no points will be deducted anyway, so might as well suck it up and move on.

Go into the traffic violations department of the court on an early morning before the due date printed on the ticket. Dress nice and tidy to court. IIRC there are three options on the ticket and you have to choose "plead guilty with an explaination". Tell reception that you would like to discuss about the red light infraction ticket that you've got and they'll schedule you to meet with a Justice of Peace/Prosecutor in the same morning. Then you wait in the traffic violations waiting area until the clerk calls your name to go upstairs in meeting the JP. You get to meet the JP in a room. Show your remorse and be nice to the JP, valid reasons (e.g. being a student) would also help the JP to use his discretion to lower the fine and extend the payment deadline.

Good luck!
Sorry OP, I have to disagree with you if there is a chance to get off on Technicality... i.e. Crown doesn't bring evidence during scheduled court date for trial...it has happen...

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:44 AM   #13
Pylon
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECH View Post
ITS not worth it, doesn't cost you any demerit points and its like a parking ticket just go book and court date and hope fully the cop doesn't show up.
That ticket is around 110 and a lawyer is going to cost you around 200 and if you don't get off its going to cost you the price of the ticket.
I wish it was $110. I was charged $325!!!!!!! WTF!!!!
      08-28-2010, 02:00 AM   #14
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon View Post
I wish it was $110. I was charged $325!!!!!!! WTF!!!!
Actually that sounds about right for running Red light and getting caught by photo camera.

Don't waste your $$$ on X-Cops. File for court date plea NO GUILTY.
Hope you might get off on Technicality i.e. Crown brings no evidence. Before the preceding starts ask Crown if he/she has the evidence to present against you. He/She will show you the PIC if they received it and brought it to present. If that's the case ask for a reduced fine and you'll not contest it. 99% of the time Crown will reduce it to minimum allowed. Check HTA for min/max fine for red light violation.

There is a minimum chance Crown didn't receive photo and/or forgot to bring it then you get off scott free .... keep your fingers crossed

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #15
MOAB
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche & BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon View Post
Greetings everyone,

So I just got in the mail a red light ticket from one of those automated cameras. Bayview and Cummer going north. It said I entered the intersection when the light was red for 000.4 seconds and proceeded through the intersection when the light had been red for 001.3 seconds.

Any thoughts guys on what I should do?

I'll start reading those sites on tickets.

http://www.fyst.ca/
http://fightyourtickets.ca/how-to-fi...arking-ticket/
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/sta...es_90h08_e.htm
http://www.ticketcombat.com/instructions.php
http://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.com/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282305
Yeah, don't run a red light.
      08-28-2010, 12:39 PM   #16
AP2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Seriously I would just pay and move on after negotiating the fine amount. There are no points deducted from your driving record anyway, plus it won't cause insurance to rise as I renewed mine recently. But it's all up to you

Last edited by AP2; 08-28-2010 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #17
t7n7
CYNOSURE
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
Let me know when your trip back in time is scheduled... I'll join you
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 6 speed manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB View Post
I entered the intersection when the light was red for 000.4 seconds and proceeded through the intersection when the light had been red for 001.3 seconds.

It was red when you entered......consider yourself lucky you didn't hit someone else coming the other way that was jumping the light like you were
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #19
hubble bubble
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Got one in the mail last week. $120. Will cost me $100/hour in lost time to fit it. Might as well just pay it. That is what they are counting on.

In AB, the same cameras also have radar and can give you a ticket if for speeding too. Or, if you try to speed up and make the yellow light, you get 2 tickets - one for speeding, one for the red light.

We actually have about 100 of the camera boxes in Calgary, but only 20-25 cameras. They move them around every few days, so you never know if the camera is active or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #20
AP2
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubble bubble View Post
Got one in the mail last week. $120. Will cost me $100/hour in lost time to fit it. Might as well just pay it. That is what they are counting on.
Finally got someone agreeing with my reasoning
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #21
BRAISKI
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi e92 M-Pak

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Don't worry about it just go to court and plea for a lesser charge and then pay the fine.

Thats what I did 4 yrs ago when I got red light ticket, for rolling stop when I made a right turn.

The good thing with it is that you dont get demerit points with red light cameras.

IMO there is no need to fight it, this didn't even show on my drivers' abstract, so insurance didn't know about it.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 12:39 AM   #22
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Its the principle of the thing. That is what is wrong with this this country nowadays, no one stands up for principle. IF you are guilty of running a red light and know it, be a MAN and pay it. IF you are NOT guilty of running a red light BE A MAN and go to court and fight it! If enough damn people would fight these bull shit tickets, instead of caving in, cities would get RID of them just for the hassle!
Appreciate 0