E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Ebay bought E92 backup Camera Flickers..HELP!

02-02-2015, 07:48 AM   #1
jcolon68
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Ebay bought E92 backup Camera Flickers..HELP!

I bought a backup camera off ebay and installed. The issue is after I turn the car on the camera starts flickering, which makes it useless.

I have read somewhere here that I need to put in a Relay.
Can someone tell me if this is really the case and show me how to wire the relay??

It's driving me crazy!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #2
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

You do need a relay, the back up light voltage on our cars isn't stable enough to power the camera, hence the flickering once you turn the car on. Just do a search, I forget where the posts are, but there are a ton of them. You need to find a constant 12V power source, not the lights (I tested all of the light wiring and none of them will work). I forget which wire I tapped, it's been a while. I tapped the signal wire from the reverse light so it activates the camera once you put it in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
jcolon68
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
You do need a relay, the back up light voltage on our cars isn't stable enough to power the camera, hence the flickering once you turn the car on. Just do a search, I forget where the posts are, but there are a ton of them. You need to find a constant 12V power source, not the lights (I tested all of the light wiring and none of them will work). I forget which wire I tapped, it's been a while. I tapped the signal wire from the reverse light so it activates the camera once you put it in reverse.

Yes, I know I need a relay , just dont know which to get or how to wire it. That is the info I need. Just need help installing Relay and which type of relay to use.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

You asked "if this is really the case" which implies you're not sure whether you need a relay.

Here's a thread where they discuss where to get power from.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...a+relay&page=2

You can get the relay from Radioshack. Google which pin does what to see which one is the power, switch, ground. And I would recommend getting a voltmeter to test for suitable wires. Thinking back, I tapped one of the power wires for my amp since it was the closest 12V source and then tapped a reverse light wire for signal. This is because my camera is wireless so I had to tap all the wires in the trunk. First camera I had was wired and I ran a power wire all the way to the dash along with the signal wire. It's easier to find a constant 12V in the cabin than it is in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
jcolon68
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow191 View Post
You asked "if this is really the case" which implies you're not sure whether you need a relay.

Here's a thread where they discuss where to get power from.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...a+relay&page=2

You can get the relay from Radioshack. Google which pin does what to see which one is the power, switch, ground. And I would recommend getting a voltmeter to test for suitable wires. Thinking back, I tapped one of the power wires for my amp since it was the closest 12V source and then tapped a reverse light wire for signal. This is because my camera is wireless so I had to tap all the wires in the trunk. First camera I had was wired and I ran a power wire all the way to the dash along with the signal wire. It's easier to find a constant 12V in the cabin than it is in the trunk.

Great! I will research this info. ..Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0