E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Don't buy a Lexus if you value your life.

02-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #67
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

so you didn't do too bad with your toyota lsf for $60k+.
could be much worse with toyota lfa for $375k.
i wouldn't be able to handle thoughts of it sharing things with tercel,corolla.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #68
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335fourdoor View Post

The Veyron shares parts with run of the mill Audis....I don't think that bothers its owners too much.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 07:50 PM   #69
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
The Veyron shares parts with run of the mill Audis....I don't think that bothers its owners too much.
post actual shared parts,or are you just flapping gums?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #70
oct1285
Captain
Rep
Drives: Out of warranty

Quote:

sounds like you're just flapping too. Show me what in the LFA is shared with the corolla since the tercel isn't even made anymore
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #71
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oct1285 View Post
sounds like you're just flapping too. Show me what in the LFA is shared with the corolla since the tercel isn't even made anymore
mine was just sarcasm,i doubt his is.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #72
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher View Post
Wrong.

1. A 4.6L version of your engine goes into the US Tundra, Sequoia and Land Cruiser. (So, you've actually got a Pickup engine that's been breathed on by Yamaha )

2. Your Transmission is used on the Toyota Crown.

3. The chassis is shared with the Mark X and the Crown.

I thought i heard you say Toyota. Nothing about the US or Japanese markets. Surely, everything is a Toyota.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #73
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Wrong.

1. A 4.6L version of your engine goes into the US Tundra, Sequoia and Land Cruiser. (So, you've actually got a Pickup engine that's been breathed on by Yamaha )

I thought i heard you say Toyota. Nothing about the US or Japanese markets. Surely, everything is a Toyota.
You clearly have no clue what you're talking about.

1. The IS F runs the 5.0L 2UR-GSE engine based off of the LS 600h L's 2UR-FSE V-8...that is similar to the Tundra's 2UZ FE but isn't the same. On top of that Yamaha developed unique aluminum cylinder heads, as well as titanium intake valves, a water-cooled oil cooler, and a head scavenge oil pump, all devised for better high-speed and high-load driving.

So, ya, exactly like the Tundra engine.

2. No it's not. The Crown runs a 6 speed auto. The IS F has the new 8 speed that it shares with the LS.

3. Again...no it doesn't. The Mark X and Crown share their platforms with the GS. The IS is based off of the GS platform, but is a shortened version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 671rover View Post
You're just as clueless.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #74
Bunkei
Anti-Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

Do not EVER turn off your engine if your accelerator is stuck at full throttle. Had the police officer mentioned in the OP had done that, this is what would have happened:

The steering wheel would have locked, therefore, not able to steer the car, which means that a huge 100+ mph rear impact is almost certain, causing a multi-car crash that would have probably killed even more people.

If your car is stuck at WOT, shifting into neutral is probably the best course of action. However, given that the brakes were already destroyed on the car, it is quite possible that even if he HAD done this, the result may not have changed.

What baffles me is how can it be that Toyota, often a pioneer of technology used in automobiles does not have an electronic failsafe in the event that both the brakes and accelerator are depressed simultaneously. This should be standard on EVERY automobile from EVERY manufacturer. If it's not, I expect by the next MY, all vehicles will have this feature, regardless of manufacturer.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 10:40 PM   #75
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

What many in this thread fail to realize is that not only do car companies under the same umbrella share parts.....different brands also use components from the same manufacturers.

Does anyone here actually understand the complexity of the modern vehicle?

I've been to the Automotive Testing Expo in Novi, MI and was astounded by the amount of sharing that goes on between brands. The auto industry is the most highly regulated and highly tested industry outside of the aviation field (thank goodness!). No manufacturer makes all of it's own parts. They not only share with other lines in their own line up but with other manufacturers as well. This helps keep costs in line and does away with the redundancy that would exist otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #76
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
Um... That IS-F in your signature is built by Toyota.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 12:10 AM   #77
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wrong.

Its actually just shared with the LS600H and the ISF, so he was right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_UR_engine#1UR-FE

However, Toyota does share its engines with Lexus.

I mean every one does.

Ferrari shares with Maserati

VW shares everything from Bugatti to Lambo to Bentley
Many say the Flying Spur and Continental are based on the VW Phaeton, its true, but however the overall experience between them is different

BMW's 760Li V12 and Rolls Royce Phantom share the same V12, albeit the Phantom has a larger displacement of 6.75L as opposed to 6.0L in the 760.

Mercedes and Chrysler shared parts.

Everyone like someone suggested does this.

Sadly after seeing this I am terribly disappointed and I hope they correct the problem sooner or later

Last edited by M3 vert; 02-07-2010 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #78
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
There is one thing I cant stand, when ignorant people like you start talking about the LFA as a glorified toyotA with a $375K price tag.

The LFA is an achievement that no other automaker from japan has been able to acheive period!

Its one a kind and the first year orders have already been spoken for, its being sold similarly to Ferrari's F40. Check this article.

I am sure toyota took there sweet ass time in making sure everything is fine tuned on those vehicles!

The Ferrari's break down too buddy, the LFA will be much more reliable then most exotics in that category!!!

I understand one vents when he sees this crap about lexus/toyota and they claim to be at the top of the game, but no need to be unreasonable and judgemental on their halo car, which is worth a
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 01:46 AM   #79
Schumacher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post

1. The IS F runs the 5.0L 2UR-GSE engine based off of the LS 600h L's 2UR-FSE V-8...that is similar to the Tundra's 2UZ FE but isn't the same. On top of that Yamaha developed unique aluminum cylinder heads, as well as titanium intake valves, a water-cooled oil cooler, and a head scavenge oil pump, all devised for better high-speed and high-load driving.

2. No it's not. The Crown runs a 6 speed auto. The IS F has the new 8 speed that it shares with the LS.

3. Again...no it doesn't. The Mark X and Crown share their platforms with the GS. The IS is based off of the GS platform, but is a shortened version.
Okay, the AA80E transmission is actually used on the Crown Majesta.

I really dont understand the point you are trying to make with the others. You said your IS-F did not share anything with Toyota but are now admitting that the engine and chassis were developed from existing products.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 01:54 AM   #80
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post
There is one thing I cant stand, when ignorant people like you start talking about the LFA as a glorified toyotA with a $375K price tag.

The LFA is an achievement that no other automaker from japan has been able to acheive period!

Its one a kind and the first year orders have already been spoken for, its being sold similarly to Ferrari's F40. Check this article.

I am sure toyota took there sweet ass time in making sure everything is fine tuned on those vehicles!

The Ferrari's break down too buddy, the LFA will be much more reliable then most exotics in that category!!!

I understand one vents when he sees this crap about lexus/toyota and they claim to be at the top of the game, but no need to be unreasonable and judgemental on their halo car, which is worth a

what achievement are you talking about with lfa.how dare they charge this money for a car with nothing unique,no history and a single clutch auto manual that no one sells anymore.just because of carbon wooven tub?
you been getting too much sun in your vert.cover up. why would anybody buy that over 458 italia ? and still have enough to buy 911 tt pdk.toyota is pathetic.
people in europe and in u.s will not buy this car .its domestic consumption only.
p.s. $375k for 354 pounds of torque.thats breaks down to $1060.00 per pound of torque. hahahaha

Last edited by 335fourdoor; 02-07-2010 at 02:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #81
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

toyota needs to stop making the brakes so small they just barely get the job done, and they need to actually add cooling so they dont overheat at burn up so fast

motortrend tested this, they will stop the car with WOT throttle, from any speed, however, if you dont slam them as hard as you can, they overheat and will not top you, they are undersized and undercooled
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #82
671rover
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '94 D90, '95 D90 SW, '11 VO 1M

Quote:

I really dont understand the point you are trying to make with the others. You said your IS-F did not share anything with Toyota but are now admitting that the engine and chassis were developed from existing products.
Guess Cdnrockies does not consider that sharing.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #83
fast4door
Captain
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post

You're just as clueless.
+1..some people just love to post things with no idea what they are talking about. My brothers has the IS-F and my previous car was a gs430 so Im very familiar with these cars
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #84
fast4door
Captain
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

just to add to the above..The IS-F is basically a gs460 engine, bored out to a 5.0 and tuned by yamaha. The transmisson is shared with the LS, however it first debuted in the IS-F, but I may be wrong on that. To all the lexus, toyota and IS-F hater out there..remember one thing..this is the first attempt by lexus to make a performance car that is only meant to com[ete with the M3 and C63, which it does. Just wait until the Gs-F comes out with 500+hp v10, I wouldl ove to see what all the hater have to say then.

I really dont understand where all this bashing is coming from. Some of your guys shou;d try to be car enthusiasts and not just bmw fanboys.I love my car but I can also appreciate the IS-F. M3/C63 performance for about 10-15k less
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #85
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Does anyone else find it suspicious that all of this bad press about Toyota starts up not long after the US government takes over GM?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #86
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 671rover View Post
Guess Cdnrockies does not consider that sharing.
You guys really need to do some homework before posting things you clearly know nothing about.

Toyota borrowed this transmission from Lexus not the other way around. We've already established the engine isn't shared with Toyota if you read the rest of the thread. And the chassis was also borrowed from Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #87
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I don't know why you're arguing. Whether they share parts or not is irrelevant. Toyota and Lexus are not separate companies. Lexus is just a different brand name built by the same company. It's not like Mercedes and Chrysler at all since they are 2 separate companies and one bought the other. Toyota = Lexus = Toyota = Lexus, they are the same. Not saying it's a bad thing, it isn't. It's just the way it is.

Sure they have a separate design and engineering team, but saying Lexus isn't Toyota is like saying owning a Chevrolet isn't owning a GM car.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 01:04 PM   #88
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
what achievement are you talking about with lfa.how dare they charge this money for a car with nothing unique,no history and a single clutch auto manual that no one sells anymore.just because of carbon wooven tub?
you been getting too much sun in your vert.cover up. why would anybody buy that over 458 italia ? and still have enough to buy 911 tt pdk.toyota is pathetic.
people in europe and in u.s will not buy this car .its domestic consumption only.
p.s. $375k for 354 pounds of torque.thats breaks down to $1060.00 per pound of torque. hahahaha
Listen wise guy the technology and materials used in the car speak for itself!
Go do some research before making pointless comments.

As for the article on the LFA, here it is ( I have added my thread on the LFA with reviews and comments):

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337427

Check it out, you dont understand the market for this kind of vehicle.
This vehicle can ONLY be leased from LEXUS for the first two years and NOT purchased lke any exotic out there available today!!!

And you cant even walk in and buy one, there is a list of clients from which lexus chooses to lease the LFA too!

The only other vehicle which I am aware off, which was sold this way was the Ferrari F50!

Only 150 handbuilt LFA are coming to North America~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus_LFA

Its not for people like you, who start to value it against other exotics and give that kind of reasoning like typically people do,
"...Dude oh you can buy 2 astons, or 1 ferrari and a porsche for that toyota..."

Its for people who already have a few exotics in there garage (including the ferrari, aston, lambo, maserati and bentley)
Because in the upper echelon of society these vehicles are a norm.

Driving a lexus supercar will be unique, special and definitely make a statement in that kind of society!

This is for someone who is adding on to his existing collection, this will perform better then a 599GTB Ferrari, has a higher top speed then the DBS and is faster than a gallardo!

Its a V10 Naturally aspirated motor that revs to 9000RPM

What else do you want?

The only other cars constructed of exotic materials such as this one, would be the Ferrari Enzo, Porsche Carerra GT, and compared to their MSRPS when they were new, this is peanuts at $375K

I understand where you coming from that its a lexus and all but this is just the begninning for there F line cars!

However, try to visualize this from lexus perspective, and who there target market is and why they have already sold the first year of its production!

If you remember the Mercedes SLR fell short of its production targets, because demand was weak! NOW who would have though that a merc and maclaren could have failed, but hey they did
They sold short of expected targets, and the SLR wasnt anything special either for its price point.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10804021...uction-in-2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLR_McL...carfans.com-18
Appreciate 0