E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Koni FSD for XI

10-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
gmazzu
Private
Rep
Drives: 335 M-Sport X-Drive 6 speed

Koni FSD for XI

I noticed from Koni's website they are now offering FSD's for the 335xi. What are people's thoughts on these shocks for the 335? I have read a lot of positive reviews on the 1 series board and the the suspension section here. I was thinking about using the stock springs as I really dont need to drop the car, if I did it would probably with something minimal.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

I researched these a lot and decided to go with Bilstein instead. The reason being everyone says they're a dream come true for the first 10-15k, then after that they lose their magic and go back to being as good as stock.
      11-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
mjlav3
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 E90 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13
I researched these a lot and decided to go with Bilstein instead. The reason being everyone says they're a dream come true for the first 10-15k, then after that they lose their magic and go back to being as good as stock.
Did you ever consider koni yellows? Right now the hd's are hard to come and the xDrive yellows are meant for stock springs like the hd's, as far as I can tell. But tons of people do run the yellows on eibach or H&R springs, I think they just tight the yellows to accommodate. Anyone else want to chime in? I'm not sure which of these two to choose while keeping my stock springs and height.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 02 R1150GSA, 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlav3 View Post
Did you ever consider koni yellows? Right now the hd's are hard to come and the xDrive yellows are meant for stock springs like the hd's, as far as I can tell. But tons of people do run the yellows on eibach or H&R springs, I think they just tight the yellows to accommodate. Anyone else want to chime in? I'm not sure which of these two to choose while keeping my stock springs and height.
Koni sport (yellows) are intended for shorter stiffer springs. Maybe you're thinking of the FSD's.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
mjlav3
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 E90 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida
Quote:
Koni sport (yellows) are intended for shorter stiffer springs. Maybe you're thinking of the FSD's.
What I read was that they were designed for stock but are not length dependent and can be run on lowered springs. People seem to tighten more when lowered to accommodate. Could be wrong but that's what I gathered from the koni sight. For the xdrive they specify lowered or not and the yellows for that car suggest not lowered. No? I know I've read many people in stock but most people doing aftermarket shocks also want lowered ride height.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What I read was that they were designed for stock but are not length dependent and can be run on lowered springs. People seem to tighten more when lowered to accommodate. Could be wrong but that's what I gathered from the koni sight. For the xdrive they specify lowered or not and the yellows for that car suggest not lowered. No? I know I've read many people in stock but most people doing aftermarket shocks also want lowered ride height.
Maybe read some more.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
^That

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #8
ajsalida
Colonel
Rep

The Koni website is confusing:

http://www.koni-na.com/fsd.cfm

vs

http://www.koni-na.com/sport.cfm

I guess you could use Eibachs on the FSD or go with stock springs. As a practical matter no one uses sports with stock springs, or it would be unwise IMHO. Even on the softest setting they'd be pretty firm for stock springs.

I do not think Koni makes an HD equivalent specifically for stock springs & ride height, at least not for the Xi.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #9
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccraig13 View Post
Sorry for bringing the thread back from the dead. i just found out that i'm getting the FSD's installed (i was originally expecting the Bilstein's B6's on my 2008 335xi... but a mix up happened and now i'm with the FSD's)

So where are some linky's to reviews where people feel they lose their magic and once the magic is gone... will koni replace them under warranty (granted its a PITA to pay someone to keep changing these things). I just want to know what i got myself into with these so its not so much of a surprise down the road?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Sorry for bringing the thread back from the dead. i just found out that i'm getting the FSD's installed (i was originally expecting the Bilstein's B6's on my 2008 335xi... but a mix up happened and now i'm with the FSD's)

So where are some linky's to reviews where people feel they lose their magic and once the magic is gone... will koni replace them under warranty (granted its a PITA to pay someone to keep changing these things). I just want to know what i got myself into with these so its not so much of a surprise down the road?
Here is Koni Warranty info: http://www.koni-na.com/warranty.cfm

In most respects with warranty on suspension, it's usually not worth the hassle. You basically need to remove your shocks and will have your vehicle off the road unless you have stock shocks lying around.

Then you need to pay for the shipping of the shocks and usually they charge something to look at them. If they are under warranty they still might charge you (I know KW does) it's just less then retail.

Plus it should go without saying if there are no visible leaks or blatant lack of function, it will be hard to convince Koni to replace them for free because they "lost magic", IMO. This would likely fall under the "rebuild" category and not warranty.

Contrary to popular belief, good suspension components typically need to be rebuilt fairly often. I'm not saying this makes anything excusable but I know a lot of track gurus and they often after just a few thousand miles (or less) have their shocks rebuilt. These are hardcore guys. It's just something to think about.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 03:24 PM   #11
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Here is Koni Warranty info: http://www.koni-na.com/warranty.cfm

In most respects with warranty on suspension, it's usually not worth the hassle. You basically need to remove your shocks and will have your vehicle off the road unless you have stock shocks lying around.

Then you need to pay for the shipping of the shocks and usually they charge something to look at them. If they are under warranty they still might charge you (I know KW does) it's just less then retail.

Plus it should go without saying if there are no visible leaks or blatant lack of function, it will be hard to convince Koni to replace them for free because they "lost magic", IMO. This would likely fall under the "rebuild" category and not warranty.

Contrary to popular belief, good suspension components typically need to be rebuilt fairly often. I'm not saying this makes anything excusable but I know a lot of track gurus and they often after just a few thousand miles (or less) have their shocks rebuilt. These are hardcore guys. It's just something to think about.
So if you had a 2008 e90 335 XI (AWD)... which would you choose between if you had the choice? Koni FSD or Bilstein B6?

I heard that the warranty for the bilsteins transfers to the next guy you sell it to as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #12
Harv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i, 69 2002, 77 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
So if you had a 2008 e90 335 XI (AWD)... which would you choose between if you had the choice? Koni FSD or Bilstein B6?

I heard that the warranty for the bilsteins transfers to the next guy you sell it to as well?
Maybe, if they have the receipt. I'm going with Billy B6 and stock springs. I'll let you know how it goes.

John
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #13
bman5150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Maybe, if they have the receipt. I'm going with Billy B6 and stock springs. I'll let you know how it goes.

John
Interested to hear how you like the b6 shocks/struts
      10-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #14
Harv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 M50i, 69 2002, 77 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
Interested to hear how you like the b6 shocks/struts
Cut and pasted from the other thread regarding the Billy B6 HD.

Just did this today! four new OE wheels (old ones were bent and I got a good price) Conti DWS tires and Billy HD's. I'm soooooo happy with the car now. And just like everyone else that does this, I'll say 'this is how the car should have been sold!" It's such a pleasure to drive now. I didn't measure the ride height before and after but i don't notice an increase in ride height. i live in Cleveland and use the car as a DD and also use it for ski trips. The stock ride height is OK with me.

Highly recommended!

John
Appreciate 0