E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > 335i, Bad Gasoline, Repairs Needed - Help Me!!

05-07-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
jimmy335i
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90 Black 6MT

335i, Bad Gasoline, Repairs Needed - Help Me!!

I need some help please!!!

I just got an '07 335i two weeks ago and car completely broke down after filling up with gas (I was on empty before this). I thought it was an HPFP problem... see my first thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382421

After two days my SA asked me where I got my gas because "it was very cloudy and even foamy" when they drained it after not being able to start the car. I went to the gas station and learned that other folks had complained. I called <big oil company> customer service and I was the 3rd person with formal complaint this week for that gas station. Obviously there was something wrong with that gas station's fuel delivery. BMW service is not going to cover it with warranty. I'm hopeful <big oil company> will cover the damages - they say I have a good case because it's not an isolated incident.

BMW service said at a minimum, I'm looking at 6 injectors, fuel filter, maybe fuel pump (want them to go ahead and replace this for obvious reasons), something else I can't remember as my head was spinning... he estimated 3K but said he could write a "disclaimer in case I run into future problems". I just want BMW to inspect/replace everything that could go wrong with bad fuel in the system, big oil to pay for it, and I want to keep warranty in place. I don't want to hear 6 months down the road that part XYZ must have failed because it was related to bad fuel incident.

So help a 1st time BMW owner and complete car mechanics noob with:
- List of parts I should get BMW to inspect/replace
- Help dealing with <big oil company> claims process... should I get a lawyer?

I trust the BMW service dept, but I want to make sure the right work is done on the car to prevent future problems. I've never even heard of something like this... complete nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

id replace the injectors, fuel filter, high pressure pump, and in tank pump as well as remove the sending units and clean the entire tank. the reason i suggest replacing the intank and high pressure pump is its very difficult to determine what really is in your tank-thus its also very difficult to say if it did damage to the pumps that you may not see right now but may see in 20-30k.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
sneaks
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Tell the dealer to give you the full flush. Fuel lines can rust, water can dilute the oil causing engine problems. In such a short period of time, i wouldn't really worry about those things though.
Definitely include new spark plugs and an oil/filter change. Make sure the oil company agrees to make good on repairs down the road caused by this. Chances are, your car won't have any damage tho.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

where in Georgia and what gas station was it?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
jimmy335i
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post
where in Georgia and what gas station was it?
Norcross. Maybe I'm being paranoid but don't want to post the station/oil company until things get resolved, but if Norcross location is nearby you, I'll email you the details.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Good luck OP!
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy335i View Post
Norcross. Maybe I'm being paranoid but don't want to post the station/oil company until things get resolved, but if Norcross location is nearby you, I'll email you the details.
That's funnier being that there's a big terminal off Buford Hwy where many tankers take on fuel.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
jimmy335i
Rep

Thanks for all of the advice - this is good.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

I was just wondering because I have done a lot of work at stations down south fixing water leaks that they have seeing as how just about everything in the south was built on god dammed swamp land!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2010, 07:18 AM   #10
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
I was just wondering because I have done a lot of work at stations down south fixing water leaks that they have seeing as how just about everything in the south was built on god dammed swamp land!!!
Closer you are to the ocean the higher the water table. It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #11
Delanez
Rep
Drives: 04 325i

We see a lot of high alcohol issues up here in WI. Usually we flush the fuel system, replace components depending on the situation. You never said what actually was wrong with the fuel. I'm assuming there was water? If the station is going to cover the repair I would try and get all the fuel system components replaced
Low psi pump, high psi pump, fuel filter, left in-tank sender unit, injectors, spark plugs and an oil service.

If they don't pay for the items then we'll talk about the most effective route you can take. No use getting into that if you don't need to though! Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
jimmy335i
Rep

Update on this problem -- read the service tickets.

Since the bad gasoline incident, I've picked up the car twice from Service, and the problem still appears as soon as I push the car moderately hard. Check engine light with limp power. See the service ticket details below... curious if anyone has ideas on what to try next.

5/3/10 - Bad gasoline, nightmare begins

5/17/10 - Got car back for the first time, here's the service ticket...
Service Comments
CUSTOMER STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMES ON. AND REDUCED POWER AS WELL. LONG CRANK TIME.INT FAULT MEMORY. SEVERAL FAULTS PRESENT IN DME.PERF TEST PLANS. CHECKED FUEL QUALITY. FOUND FUEL TO BE LESS THAN 1% GASOLINE CAUSING DAMAGE TO INJECTORS. REPLACED FUEL FILTER/SENDING UNIT. DRAINED FUEL TANK, CLEARED FAULTS & ADAPTATIONS. FILLED TANK WITH PROPER FUEL & TESTED. OPERATING PROPERLY AT THIS TIME.

Parts
6 INJECTOR
6 DECOUPLING ELEMENT
1 REPAIR KIT, FUEL FI
FUEL ADDITIVE
Sounds good... I hop in and drive easy for the 1st 20 miles. I barely push the car to 90mph and CEL light comes on with limited power. Turn car off, back on, and the CEL light is gone with full power back. CEL problem comes back the next time I push the car moderately hard. Back to BMW Service...

5/26/10 -Got my car back the 2nd time... here's the ticket
Service Comments
CUSTOMER STATES THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON
REDUCED POWER MESSAGE COMING ON
INT FAULT MEMORY. FAULT 2A87 PRESENT IN DME. PERF TEST PLAN.
CHECKED POWER GROUND @ VANOS SOLENOIDS, POWER GOOD, GROUND OK.
REMOVED IN & EXH VANOS SOLENOIDS, INSPECTED & SWITCHED FOR RETESTING. CLEARED FAULTS & TESTED. FAULT 2A87 RETURNED AFTER SEVERAL MILES OF DRIVING. REMOVED VALVE COVER & INSPECTED EXH
CAM BERAING LEDGE, FOUND GROOVE WORN IN LEDGE FROM HOOK RING
REPLACED EXHAUST CAMSHAFT BEARING LEDGE AS PER SIB 11 02 08.
CLEARED FAULTS & ADAPTATIONS. RETESTED VEHICLE,FAULTS DID NOT RETURN. OPERATING PROPERLY AT THIS TIME

REPLACEMENT FOR REPAIRS PERFORMED ON PREVIOUS VISIT.
FOUND HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP FAULTY
REPLACED HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP.

Parts
2 RECTANGRING
1 BEARING LEDGE EXHAU
1 PROFILE-GASKET
2 COLLAR SCREW
1 HIGH-PRESSURE PUMP
13 TORX BOLT
SA told me the test drive was good. On my way back to work, things were fine. Thought they solved it this time, but on the drive home tonight, it came back on with another moderately hard push. Taking the car back in the morning.

What's BMW going to do now?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #13
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Hey don't be hatin on the south, But out of seriousness yes everything is built on water and it sucks.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
jimmy335i
Rep

To close out the saga - Service called me back two weeks ago and said it was ready. They had replaced the Vanos pressure sensor and put over 150 miles on the car test driving it (after being so embarrassed about the previous two incidents).

I drove it off the lot and couldn't believe it - a RED exclamation mark inside a circle was on the dash not 1/2 mile off the lot. Took it back, and they said a nail was in my tire. After some back and forth, they agreed to replace it with a new RFT for free. They were just happy to get rid of me.

I've driven it about 300 miles over the past few days - no CEL and things seem good when I'm pushing it hard. Got the check from the big oil company as reimbursement.

All is good again - love this car!!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
Marcumac
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Man what a mess, glad you resolved it, way to be proactive OP.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 08:38 AM   #16
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Especially since work was done under the valve cover, I'd change the oil and filter. Plus they had used a fuel additive (it's recommended to change the oil after using a bottle of Techron, BMW's fuel system cleaner is, or was, relabeled Techron.)

You might want to run another bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner in half a tank of fuel (higher concentration) before dropping the oil - make sure everything's flushed out.

Last edited by AlanAZ; 07-11-2010 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0