E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Procede half engine light (fixed but want input on what i did wrong)

11-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Procede half engine light (fixed but want input on what i did wrong)

First of all Happy Turkey day fellow enthusiasts. So I got up bright and early and hookep up the Procede to the old laptop in order to get my serial number to send to Shiv in order to get the new goods. As soon as the Procede went online it started uploading a map. When I checked the user settings it was not set to my default settings so I decided to upload the 11-14 maps again which I have been running and love with my customized settings.
Map uploading went through 100% without a hitch. I turn the car on and immediately got the half engine light. So i decided to upload everything again. I uploaded the firmware, uploaded the map and prayed to god. I turned the car back on and no half engine light, only the SES light. I plugged in my reader and let it do its thing. SES light stayed on for a while. I turned the ignition off and on 4 times and it went away. Car feels strong as ever and no lights on the dash.
So the question is what went wrong? Why the half engine? Why the SES lights? I have doens this procedure about 6 times before and this has never happened so I know what I am dong. Also, with regards to the Procede, as soon as it goes online it says map uploading even without me selecting to load file. Is this normal? What map is it loading? Thanks in advance for any input. Best wishes to all of you and your families!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

not sure about the SES light, but the Procede always does the map loading thing when you connect. It just reloads the previous map, but you'll notice it goes a lot faster than the first time you put the map on. Also, on the top of the window of the Procede reader it tells you what map you are on.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #3
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

What is your SES code? Get a code reader if you don't have one.

Are you catless?

Double check wiring first and foremost. A loose connection will throw codes, and cause misfires.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #4
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Didnt get a chance to get the codes. But my reader did clear them. I only have cats in the stock downpipes. In retrospect the only thing i did differently is i had my key in the car when hooking up the Procede. All previous times I have kept it in the house since I have comfort access and usually do not bring it out till I am ready to go online with the Procede. I think I may have woken up the car while hooking up the Procede since the key was in the car and that may have caused the half engine light. What do you guys think about this theory? Thanks again for all replies. I am glad everything is back to normal. I just want to know where I went wrong or if there somehting else going on.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
GeorgiaTech335coupe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i coupe

My first thought was that maybe you had the wrong firmware for the map you had loaded. Thats why you threw the code when you started the car and thats why it went away when you went through the entire process.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTech335coupe View Post
My first thought was that maybe you had the wrong firmware for the map you had loaded. Thats why you threw the code when you started the car and thats why it went away when you went through the entire process.
I thought the same thing. That is why i reloaded the maps and firmware. The weird thing is that I have been running these maps since 11-4 and updated the firmware back then so I have been on the correct firmware. Weird, i know. Thanks for the input man!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 12:23 PM   #7
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Oooooooo

NOT a good idea to have power running to the ECU when you mess around with connections...

Someone like Scalbert or Shiv will have to deal with this, as I'm really not knowledgable enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #8
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82tt6 View Post
Oooooooo

NOT a good idea to have power running to the ECU when you mess around with connections...

Someone like Scalbert or Shiv will have to deal with this, as I'm really not knowledgable enough.
Agreed. I didn't think anything could really go wrong since I was only hooking up the laptop to the Procede via the usb to serial connection. I will leave the keys in thouse house from here on in anyways just to be safe. Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eunosracr View Post
First of all Happy Turkey day fellow enthusiasts. So I got up bright and early and hookep up the Procede to the old laptop in order to get my serial number to send to Shiv in order to get the new goods. As soon as the Procede went online it started uploading a map. When I checked the user settings it was not set to my default settings so I decided to upload the 11-14 maps again which I have been running and love with my customized settings.
Map uploading went through 100% without a hitch. I turn the car on and immediately got the half engine light. So i decided to upload everything again. I uploaded the firmware, uploaded the map and prayed to god. I turned the car back on and no half engine light, only the SES light. I plugged in my reader and let it do its thing. SES light stayed on for a while. I turned the ignition off and on 4 times and it went away. Car feels strong as ever and no lights on the dash.
So the question is what went wrong? Why the half engine? Why the SES lights? I have doens this procedure about 6 times before and this has never happened so I know what I am dong. Also, with regards to the Procede, as soon as it goes online it says map uploading even without me selecting to load file. Is this normal? What map is it loading? Thanks in advance for any input. Best wishes to all of you and your families!
Hi there,
By just going on-line (and reading the map from you PROcede), there is no reason to generate any fault code whatsoever as you aren't changing any values in the PROcede unit. If you were uploading firmware with the car running, that would be something else.

Could you have possible giggled a connection when you reached in and fished around for the serial port?

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Hi there,
By just going on-line (and reading the map from you PROcede), there is no reason to generate any fault code whatsoever as you aren't changing any values in the PROcede unit. If you were uploading firmware with the car running, that would be something else.

Could you have possible giggled a connection when you reached in and fished around for the serial port?

Shiv

While totally possible i dont think there are too many loose connections with the plug and play. Ground was solid and power tap cable was too. Its fine for now. I will see if it happens again and report back. Thanks Shiv!

Shive by the way, when are you going to start sending out the goods (new maps)?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 10:20 PM   #11
kptaylor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 335i Coupe

I have a similar question on when the Procede goes online and the status bar says "map loading". What map is loading? I see a default map in the program file folder, but is that the map that loads?

Why do a map reload upon connection? Can this be eliminated in later releases of the software? Seems like a real potential to have a bad (non-doomsday) map load and cause a lot of problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 10:39 PM   #12
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kptaylor View Post
I have a similar question on when the Procede goes online and the status bar says "map loading". What map is loading? I see a default map in the program file folder, but is that the map that loads?

Why do a map reload upon connection? Can this be eliminated in later releases of the software? Seems like a real potential to have a bad (non-doomsday) map load and cause a lot of problems.
Its reading the current map on the procede into your user software so that it knows all of your user settings and maps from a fresh start.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #13
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kptaylor View Post

Simple misunderstanding. When you go online, the user software reads the map FROM the PROcede. This way it knows what map is currently loaded on the unit and what parameters are user adjustable.

It's only when you go File->Open-> [selected ma] do you actually write/load a new map to the PROcede.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #14
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
MAN! Rick beat me to it
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #15
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
MAN! Rick beat me to it
Get used to it
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #16
eunosracr
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Simple misunderstanding. When you go online, the user software reads the map FROM the PROcede. This way it knows what map is currently loaded on the unit and what parameters are user adjustable.

It's only when you go File->Open-> [selected ma] do you actually write/load a new map to the PROcede.

Shiv

Ahh that makse senses. Thanks Shiv.
Appreciate 0