E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Track rod end or rack problem - likely costs?

08-04-2012, 04:02 AM   #1
AlphaHotelBravo
Rep
Drives: 2013 F31 320D Luxury

Track rod end or rack problem - likely costs?

Hi;

I like our 320D enough that I'm looking for another E90 - we need two cars and the old Audi won't get the MoT due soon.

Found one for sale, mileage (30,000) and price (£12K) acceptable, viewing in a few days. The private seller has been helpful and forwarded enough info to let me check MoT history online.

I found there's an advisory from the MoT back in March 2012 saying: Offside Inner track rod Steering system has slight free play detected at steering wheel (2.2.A.1b)

My question is the likely cost - supposing the MoT tester actually meant "inner track rod end" is the fault likely to be in the rack itself rather than the more easily replaceable rod-side balljoints?

I've never had an inner rod-end replaced though I've done a few outers over the years. Any ideas of likely costs?

Advice much appreciated in the context of a 12 grand car without a warranty - is it worth a punt or is the potential downside too big if it's a rack issue.

Thanks in advance!

AHB
Appreciate 0