E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > SES light, heavy shuddering

10-20-2012, 04:24 AM   #1
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

SES light, heavy shuddering

I was in 3rd gear, ~4k RPM, and I floored it, and got mild shuddering, then a lot of shuddering, and the SES light came on. From then on, I had extremely reduced power, and the SES light the whole time. Whenever I gave any bit of gas, the car would vibrate with an extreme uneasiness.

However, I stopped at a stop light to take a left turn. While I was sitting there, everything must have gotten better. Upon giving gas once more, everything ran smoothly and the SES light turned itself off.

Might this be a misfire? Do misfires fix themselves off like that? Might something else be loose, like an injector? I had an injector go loose in the past, and it exhibited the same symptoms, except combined with a limp mode. This time, I had no limp mode.

I just had the engine checked out today for any potential boost leaks, and none were found, aside from the wastegate being stuck open *sometimes.* Maybe a boost leak was induced during the check up?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
M3_Dylan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Sounds like a misfire pull the codes

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledxjoker View Post
Sounds like a misfire pull the codes
So, misfires can get better? The shuddering even happened back at regular RPM, but, then it suddenly got better at those same RPMs minutes later. I'll see what it says.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

yes its a missfire
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Pretty confident you had a misfire there. I dont think boost leaks are your problem here, something is up with your fueling or ignition perhaps.

You should get your codes read by a BMW diagnostic tool or a tool that reads shadow codes like bavarian technic tool.

If I recall your previous thread correctly I think you said you changed your spark plugs. If so you might want to pull them out and make sure they are gapped correctly. A large gap would cause misfires, but they should be gapped correctly out of the box, I always double check nowadays.

Do you recall if they were oily? (Could mean a valve gasket is leaking) or black with fuel? (Could mean a bad injector or ring)

Have your injectors been replaced? Under recall?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
You really have to read the code(s) as there may be another associated code explaining the cause of misfire (LPFP, HPFP, low fuel level, etc,.) Without all the info, we'd just be guessing.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think I am reading codes wrong, definitely, or accidentally clearing them prematurely. CAN DME Codes still reads 0 upon getting the codes. This is frustrating. I guess I accidentally cleared them in the process of attempting to get them, so I will have to find a time of day when I can log again (when not sitting in traffic).
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got it just now! Misfire cylinder 2 (10702). I might very well be on the original plugs, so I should probably get them changed.

It only happens on Map 3, but not on Map 0, so I'll probably just pay for new plugs and all that jazz. Given how these plugs might have near 50k miles on them, I'm just assuming it's most likely the plugs, though it could be a coil.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 01:52 AM   #9
jagdeepj123
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i | Remap 391bhp

I had same thing on cylinder 3. I swapped coil packs with cylinder 2 to see if the fault followed - it didn't and car runs fine now. It must have been a seating problem with the coil pack - I didn't have to install new coil packs.

Suggest you swap coil packs around before embarking upon spark plug changes, which are obviously a much bigger job.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #10
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagdeepj123 View Post
I had same thing on cylinder 3. I swapped coil packs with cylinder 2 to see if the fault followed - it didn't and car runs fine now. It must have been a seating problem with the coil pack - I didn't have to install new coil packs.

Suggest you swap coil packs around before embarking upon spark plug changes, which are obviously a much bigger job.
The thing is, I do not have my own tools, since I just moved and they are not with me.

Actually, I just realized, isn't the standard warranty spark plug replacement after 45k miles for the 335i? I'm right above 45k but under 50k. Maybe they can just replace the plugs as a warranty deal.

Last edited by Ferruccio; 10-21-2012 at 02:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I found someone with tools and I swapped the coil. Now, the code-throwing misfire ceases to happen on map 3! However, I am still feeling a slight lip occasionally. So, I am thinking that the coils are at fault, as well as the plugs. What do you think? I am also overdue for a warranty replacement of plugs at 45k.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

I'd get the plugs replaced for sure. There's a good chance it'll cure the misfires, at least it should help some.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
I found someone with tools and I swapped the coil. Now, the code-throwing misfire ceases to happen on map 3! However, I am still feeling a slight lip occasionally. So, I am thinking that the coils are at fault, as well as the plugs. What do you think? I am also overdue for a warranty replacement of plugs at 45k.
I got this too. I changed the plugs and two of the coils and still felt a slight slip. I decided to swap all the coils as well, I didn't want to continually remove and replace each one individually.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:20 AM   #14
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I did another run on map 0, with the coils swapped, and everything was smooth until *LURCH* and then it threw the general 12544 (I think?) code for reduced engine power. I tried to repeat it and log it, but I couldn't. I think, again, it's the spark plugs and/or coils that are messing up, here. I'm overdue for a spark plug replacement, so I guess it would make sense that this is happening. I will keep an update on what's going on after visiting my SA tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
NOM3ERY
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

any updates I am having the same problem
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh, sorry! I forgot to give an update. I had all the plugs replaced as a good will measure (East Bay BMW is amazing), and the misfires have ceased to happen, as far as I can tell. I did a good 300 miles of driving with lots of flooring it and hard pulls from low speed up to the speed limit. Never skipped a beat. The spark plugs definitely were contributing to the problem.

There are still minor blips when idling the engine, though. I am thinking it might have to do with a generally cold engine, or I might need to replace the coil packs. But, the actual misfires have stopped.

Also, there was a gasket leak, and that was replaced, but I do not think the gasket had anything to do with the misfires.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
joec500
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: it has 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Oh, sorry! I forgot to give an update. I had all the plugs replaced as a good will measure (East Bay BMW is amazing), and the misfires have ceased to happen, as far as I can tell. I did a good 300 miles of driving with lots of flooring it and hard pulls from low speed up to the speed limit. Never skipped a beat. The spark plugs definitely were contributing to the problem.

There are still minor blips when idling the engine, though. I am thinking it might have to do with a generally cold engine, or I might need to replace the coil packs. But, the actual misfires have stopped.

Also, there was a gasket leak, and that was replaced, but I do not think the gasket had anything to do with the misfires.

Which Gasket? Depending on the gasket, it could cause a vacuum leak which in turn can cause misfires.
2007 E92 6MT SGM: MusicarNW Level 2, Procede Rev 2.5, FFTEC/Vishnu LPFP with Flexfuel Sensor and Flash, M3 Offset V701's, WaveTrac LSD, Michelin PSS, Downpipes, M3 Control Arms, TCKline D/A Suspension, LCI Tail lights, Lux AE's, ER Charge Pipe, DCI's, Mtech Front and Rear, M3 Sideskirts, HPF Stage 1 Clutch
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #18
BrokenMyWallet12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Was the Mis-fire code still on the car when you went to BMW? I had Mis fired cylinder 1 last month but when I uninstalled the AP it was erased in the process. I had a 2.0v map and updated it to the 4.0v hoping that was the issue. I just had another Mis-fire tonight at around 53k with original plugs and I want to make sure BMW sees it had happened. If anyone could chime in I'd appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #19
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenMyWallet12 View Post
Was the Mis-fire code still on the car when you went to BMW? I had Mis fired cylinder 1 last month but when I uninstalled the AP it was erased in the process. I had a 2.0v map and updated it to the 4.0v hoping that was the issue. I just had another Mis-fire tonight at around 53k with original plugs and I want to make sure BMW sees it had happened. If anyone could chime in I'd appreciate it.
if your plugs have 53K than no wonder you are getting a misfire. just change them.
You need to replicate the issue without the cobb but maybe it will only misfire on higher boost than stock.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #20
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec500 View Post
Which Gasket? Depending on the gasket, it could cause a vacuum leak which in turn can cause misfires.
Valve cover gasket was leaking. FFTEC did a vacuum test a few days prior, and everything checked out.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #21
Ferruccio
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, I ended up getting a misfire again. This was much less pronounced than it was before. I replaced the plugs, however.

The engine was doing the characteristic shudder and terrible idle. I turned the car off, waited a few seconds, and turned it on again, and the engine worked just fine again. This is the same symptom as before, but to a lesser degree.

This time, is it safe to assume that it is the ignition coils? I am thinking that both the plugs and coils were on their way out.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #22
Eric335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio
So, I ended up getting a misfire again. This was much less pronounced than it was before. I replaced the plugs, however.

The engine was doing the characteristic shudder and terrible idle. I turned the car off, waited a few seconds, and turned it on again, and the engine worked just fine again. This is the same symptom as before, but to a lesser degree.

This time, is it safe to assume that it is the ignition coils? I am thinking that both the plugs and coils were on their way out.
I got this as well today, after replacing my sparks 100 miles ago. My guess is the coilpacks as well, but for some reason i cant seem to get the code for my misfire onto my Procede datalog...